Busy workloads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy workloads?

Just curious after reading several posts since I joined the forum. Everyone talks about all these projects they have and how busy they are. Just curious how you find time? Do you work (career wise) and quilt as a hobby? what are you quilting/sewing? why so many projects? where or who are they for?

I'm just curious, my mind is always going crazy with ideas of what I want to do or create but I just cant find time. I work evenings (as in midnight to 8a) and then I have to sleep at some point and clean the house and spend time w/ My Old Bear (as I call him). So I'm only able to actually work on projects on my weekends or a little before I sleep but then i end up surfing Pinterest or blogs and seeing what everyone else is doing.

wondering how everyone else finds the time?

Re: Busy workloads?

I did not find enough time until I retired. There were not enough hours in the day back then. DH still works. He will probably keep working until they take his drivers license away. He gets too bored staying home. I told him I could teach him how to quilt but he just glared at me.
    Vonnie

Comment

I just retired in 2013, but when I worked, I somehow managed to spend huge amounts of time on my " obsession". Most of my quilt work is by hand so I can spend time with my hubby and work on my quilts too.
      SandyWhite
      Ocala, Florida
      http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

I' m retired so I now have the luxury of sewing time. Some times I sew everyday and then there are periods I may not sew for a week or two.
        I make quite a few lap size quilts for gifts for my grandchildren, and will make a quilt as a wedding gift for a niece or nephew. Then there are the quilts I make for my home. I also sew other craft projects like pillowcases or holiday items.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Good question! I agree – there are more projects than time right now. I am single and I work full time too. My mind overflows with projects and ideas and there is no way to do it all. I usually only quilt on the weekends with occasional evenings. My quilting loft is upstairs and I love it, but most of the time I have too many other things to do to allow time to go up to quilt. Last weekend I rearranged a corner in my bedroom which is downstairs and set up my Anna Sophia there. The sole purpose is to have a nice little station to work on small items like my Christmas potholders and ornaments. Now I can enjoy a few minutes or a half hour whenever I walk by. I cut and pieced two potholders using the mini tumbler since Sunday. It’s not much, but it helps during the work week. Like a lot of you, I am waiting for retirement to rescue me. Only 5 more years to go. Then it is quilting all the time.
          Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
          "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

I work full time also and I don't think I will ever be able to retire! I tend to wake up earlier than the chickens a lot and that is when I do my best thinking, so that's when I work on my project. I also work on it on the weekends. I try to only have one project going at a time but seem to always have another rolling around in my head. If I had several going at the same time I would probably pull my hair out. So I try to take my aunt's advice "One thing at a time"
            Sharon

Comment

I work full time, plus some, and my goal this year is to finish what I started last year. So far, I have gotten three tops finished, but not quilted. I sewed a table mat last week, start to finish, and I did a JRR2 three days ago, and my hexagon garden is sitting to be looked at for a few days before I sew it together. My foot and back have been in quite an uproar the past month or so, so I have no attempted any fmqing on anything. Maybe soon!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've found that even 15 minutes of sewing at a sitting can be a great thing! You can accomplish a LOT in 15 minutes if your area is ready to go. You DO deserve at least 15 minutes a day to do what YOU want to do, & before you know it, your project will be done. Time for working outside the home gals with young children is hard, but it can be done. I have projects all over the place, all in neat little packets of plastic that pillowcases come in-they hold everything, including thread. I do NOT need to hunt things down this way. I guess the main thing is the LOVE one puts in when they are making something for someone they love. I constantly think of the person as I sew along. Cheers to you as you try to find time to do what you'd like!

Comment

I work full time and have 2 kids (18 months and 3). I have a 3 ring binder of patterns I want to try and typically write down some notes of fabric choices etc for each of them. I typically can only sew on the weekends when they are napping and in the evenings after my littlest goes to bed. Doesn't really leave me with as much time as I would like but I make it work and find its best for me to stay as focused and organized as possible

Comment

I carve out time when I can. I didn't quit my job, but I worked it out that I work p/t from home (just need my phone and a puter). Right now, my FIL, who has Alzehimer's, is living with us - so I take care of him as well; and I'm careful to try not to sew after 10pm because his bedroom is directly above my sewing room. So, I'm slow as molasses but I try to sew most days, even if it's just a bit. Sometimes if I can't sew, I try to watch tutorials for things I want to do - I'm learning even though I'm not sitting at my machine. I am finally finishing my first 'real' quilt - a crib size. The binding just needs to be tacked down in the back (pics coming soon)

Comment

I am still pretty new to quilting so I don't actually have a lot of projects "in the works" - unless I count the ones on my wish list to make. LOL - those aren't actually started or anything.

I'm still working full-time as well and I've got many years to go so I do most of my sewing on the weekends. And this winter -I've benefitted greatly from all these snow days!

I have a niece with 4 little ones and my first 4 completed quilts were for them. I'm working on piecing one now for my mom, my other niece tells me she wants a Christmas quilt - and there are at least 3 precuts in my stash that I've purchased specifically for quilts for ME because I love the fabric so much I don't see me giving them away. LOL.

I've made a few mugrugs and two zigzag table runners all for others - but I find that I love the creative process and therapeutic qualities of it all so...I make time. Easier for me with no children, but still I wish I could win the lottery and retire myself. Then maybe I'd have more time for my OTHER crafty hobbies that quilting has stolen time from.
                      Vicki
                      Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Don't forget, WORK is a 4-letter word. RETIRE is not.
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I do work and since last May I've been working two full time jobs. My quilting time is minimal at that moment. Working one job, I'd try to get house stuff done during the week so I could quilt all weekend Working two jobs it's hard. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours a week now and some weeks no time for quilting which doesn't make me happy at all. I'm so far behind right now. I'm hoping by the end of April to be back to one job so I have my weekends back to quilt instead of clean.
                          Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Originally posted by Kwhit05 View Post
                            Just curious after reading several posts since I joined the forum. Everyone talks about all these projects they have and how busy they are. Just curious how you find time? Do you work (career wise) and quilt as a hobby? what are you quilting/sewing? why so many projects? where or who are they for?

I'm just curious, my mind is always going crazy with ideas of what I want to do or create but I just cant find time. I work evenings (as in midnight to 8a) and then I have to sleep at some point and clean the house and spend time w/ My Old Bear (as I call him). So I'm only able to actually work on projects on my weekends or a little before I sleep but then i end up surfing Pinterest or blogs and seeing what everyone else is doing.

wondering how everyone else finds the time?
                            I had plenty of time In Jan. and most of Feb. due to unemployment but I started back 2 weeks ago and can only quilt on the weekend in between errands. I get home early enough but end up going to bed early. It's so hard when you really want to but other things pop up.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                            Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaB View Post
                              I work full time also and I don't think I will ever be able to retire! I tend to wake up earlier than the chickens a lot and that is when I do my best thinking, so that's when I work on my project. I also work on it on the weekends. I try to only have one project going at a time but seem to always have another rolling around in my head. If I had several going at the same time I would probably pull my hair out. So I try to take my aunt's advice "One thing at a time"
                              You and me both. No retirement in our future. We'll work until we drop. Sigh.
                              Hugs,
                              Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Working...
                              X