Timing or uptake lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing or uptake lever

I had posted a couple of days ago about a problem with my needle thread wrapping around the bobbin case. After making a couple of phone calls to the closest shops I could find I think the problem may be with the timing and/or the uptake lever.

Here comes the part where I ask you wonderful members for your experience. Ready for a newbie question? Is there usually a standard fee just to walk through the door with your machine for a repair? Do most shops insist that the machine will need to be cleaned/serviced (even though I told them this was just done in December) before the repair? What is standard protocol for charging for repairs?

I have never had an issue with my Janome js1008 limited edition - only had to have it serviced/cleaned as part of regular maintenance so I'm traveling the repair road blindly. Until recently, I only used the machine for occasional projects like simple curtains or binding the edges of tied comforters and I'm embarrassed to admit that I dont' know as much about the machine as I should. Poorly self-taught is the category of seamstress I would put myself in but I'm trying to change that.

My normal service shop where I bought the machine is more than two hours away so I'm trying to find a place closer to my current location. Just trying to make sure I don't get fleeced I guess LOL

I shall end my rambling and will thank you in advance for anything you can offer in the way of answers
    Renee

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle ~ Plato:)

Re: Timing or uptake lever

Any reputable shop will give you that information if you ask and will certainly give you a call with an estimate after they get inside to look at it. Seems most place around here run about $75.00 but it could be different in other places.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

$75 in the shops around here.

Comment

Okay, so the $75 and $85 quotes I was given aren't far off the standard. I suppose a good follow up question is: once the timing starts giving one trouble or there is an issue with the uptake lever - are these things that will recur often? I know there is only so much certainty with which these questions can be answered but I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea if I need to start a "repair fund" bank account for my little machine
        Renee

Comment

Most of the time your timing can get thrown off by hitting a pin, or your needle hitting the throat plate and breaking, or hitting the bobbin case if it isn't seated correctly. Timing usually has a reason for getting messed up, even if you can't remember exactly what happened.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Hmmmm . . . well I know it wasn't a pin but can't swear to anything else. I had moved the machine from the dining table during a visit from my M-I-L so I supposed something could have been jostled out of place. Who knows . . . . thanks for the info. I'll get her repaired this time then find her a more permanent home. If it happens again I'm going to take my husband up on his offer to buy a new one
            Renee

Comment

A word of caution.
              I took my sewing machine to a supposed sales and service store.
              The repair guy took a look at it, said I needed a $200 mother board and it was going to an extra $110 to put my machine back together or I could take it home in pieces.
              I took it home in pieces, made a few phone calls and found out that it was a $2.25 fuse that stopped my machine.
              I was able to put the fuse in and re-assemble the machine by myself.
              Sooooojust a word of caution. Check out all types of charges you may get a bill for.
              Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
              Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

Working...
              X