Pins..is there a sharper one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pins..is there a sharper one?

I see so many options for straight pins. I have bought a few different brands from time to time and 1 inch to 1,1/2 inch in length and a variety of heads. But..is one brand or style or make of a straight pin SHARPER than others? I buy new pins thinking mine are dull and they are often really hard to poke into fabric. I know at times I might be hitting the exact thread instead of to one side of the thread, but still...thin threads aren't that hard to manuvere to one side, yet the pin doesn't go through. And when I can get it through, it does often make a tiny hole

Right now I am cutting out a dress for a little girl....fabric is a 50%cotton/50%polyester broad cloth..it is thin. I pin through the tissue paper pattern and once the pin hits the fabric, it is just hard to get the pin to poke through the fabric. It does this also on cottons when I am quilting.

So does anyone know if there is a brand or style or metal for a straight pins that will poke fabric easily and not make poke holes in the fabric? I have that usual pin cushion with the walnut shells compost in it, supposedly that walnut stuff helps sharpen the pins as they go in but I don't see that it helps at all. I just got new one about a month ago and have seen no difference in the pins sharpness.
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Pins..is there a sharper one?

These are the ones I use...image.jpg
    I can't remember the name, but I get them at Joann's in the quilting section. I love them! I have purchased many pkgs and I think I've only had to throw one away because it had a dull tip. They're long and good for quilting and go through all three layers when I sandwich a quilt. I use these in addition to the quilters safety pins.
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I love the flower head ( or butterfly or whatever) pins, 2" long and super thin and sharp. But I think the sharpest are the 2" glass head pins! Watch out! They'll poke you every time! And they are very sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by Madeforyouinma11 View Post
        These are the ones I use...[ATTACH=CONFIG]70697[/ATTACH]
        I can't remember the name, but I get them at Joann's in the quilting section. I love them! I have purchased many pkgs and I think I've only had to throw one away because it had a dull tip. They're long and good for quilting and go through all three layers when I sandwich a quilt. I use these in addition to the quilters safety pins.
        Thats the same ones I have and got them at joann's. I figure the poly in the fabric might be a hinderence but they often catch on cotton too. I use the long ones like these for quilting, but the shorter ones for pattern cutting.
        Cheri

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          I love the flower head ( or butterfly or whatever) pins, 2" long and super thin and sharp. But I think the sharpest are the 2" glass head pins! Watch out! They'll poke you every time! And they are very sharp!
          Are they sharper because of what they are made of or because of the length or how they are made? I have 1,1/2 inch ones I use for quilting and they are great, but even those will seem dull at times and not go through the fabric. I think the thinner would be better tho..didn't know they made "thick" and "thin" ones. Are they sharper because of the glass head or just the two go together?
          Cheri

Comment

I use the yellow headed ones shown above too. That is about all I ever use.

Comment

I like the flat flower head pins the best.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
                Are they sharper because of what they are made of or because of the length or how they are made? I have 1,1/2 inch ones I use for quilting and they are great, but even those will seem dull at times and not go through the fabric. I think the thinner would be better tho..didn't know they made "thick" and "thin" ones. Are they sharper because of the glass head or just the two go together?
                they are thinner than the yellow headed pins. I use them on my longarm. The glass headed ones are really thin. I think that is what makes them so sharp. Plus they are more expensive than the yellow headed pins, so they might be better materials or better machining. I don't know why they are sharper, they just work great.

Comment

I use the yellow ones too because I like their length, however, I think the blue glass bead ones are sharper, mainly because they are thinner. The flower ones are nice when fmqing because if you run into one of the flowers, the needle does not break, but goes right thru it.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use the yellow heads most, but also have the flower heads. I think the flower heads are acutally what they use for acupuncture - or at least it feels like it when you stick yourself!

Comment

I use the flower/butterfly head pins 2 inches long . I like them and they never give me an issue. Those glass head pins are thin and sharp wow watch it with those. They also tend to bend easily I don't care for them.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've heard that Bohin manufactures the best straight pins - nice and sharp. That said, I've been keeping my eyes open but haven't found anyone that carries them (on sale!).

Comment

I found that my pins didn't perform well when I was using poly cotton to make a dress recently. I bought some ball point pins and believe it or not, they're brilliant. They go through the fabric like a hot knife through butter and didn't split the fabric either, which is rather the point of them..(no pun intended lol).

I'm now using them for my quilting and again, with the 100% cotton, brilliant.
                          I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                          Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineRob View Post
                            I found that my pins didn't perform well when I was using poly cotton to make a dress recently. I bought some ball point pins and believe it or not, they're brilliant. They go through the fabric like a hot knife through butter and didn't split the fabric either, which is rather the point of them..(no pun intended lol).

I'm now using them for my quilting and again, with the 100% cotton, brilliant.
                            I will check them out. Thanks!
                            Cheri

Comment

Also pincushions made with walnut shells (crushed) are supposed to help keep your pins sharper.....at least that is what I had heard...I also will run them through my hair to make them slide easier.....

Comment

Working...
                              X