Fabric stash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric stash

I'm new to quilting and on a budget. Anyone have any suggestions on a way to build my stash of fabric on a budget. I get so sad and intimidated when I watch tutorials and blogs and they have these awesome fabric stashes. I'm scared to creat anything cause I don't want to destroy my pathetic stash of fabric.
    Please help with any suggestions. I get the deal of the day fabrics when I can wondering if there is anything else out there.

Kristin

Re: Fabric stash

I started getting a mystery FQ when I find a DD I like. It's only a couple dollars more and I get something I may not have even looked at that turns out to be pretty good.
    I know what you mean though about not wanting to cut into what you have.

Comment

Consider recycling. Check out Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville blog - she uses lots of recycled fabrics in her quilts.

Also, check you local stores for sales and always see what they have in the remnant bin.
      Donna

Comment

I recycled most of my fabric stash. Ask in your neigbourhood for mens shirts, aprons, mens cotton boxer shorts, sheets (flannel or cotton, they make wonderful quiltbacks) etc. For Christmas or my birthday I usually get a fabric gift certificate in our local fabric store.
        That way you may keep your DD's or other fabric you don't want to cut in.
        Have fun collecting and cutting up your recycled fabrics. Meanwhile I adore the hunting as much as the sewing.
        sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Don't forget to check garage sales & estate sales. There have been forum members who have found great deals on craigslist and ebay too. Your stash will grow quicker than you think.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

craigslist and garage sales is how I have built most of my stash! and of course, anytime I see fabric on sale!
            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Some great ideas. I need to work on some of those. I have neighbors that will share clothes and such. Great idea.

Comment

My maternal grandmother had a friend who made clothes and would give my grandmother her leftovers. I have a beautiful black and white drunkards path made out of wetlook material (the black part). She gave it to me about 40 years ago. Still looks good! My oldest claimed it when he was about 13 when he heard the story behind it. (She dreamed about the pattern then got up and made it!)
                Vonnie

Comment

When you get a good sale on fabric buy a little. I have a stash out the backside and every time I start a new project or something I always wind up buying for that project instead of using my stash. My husband is now starting to catch on has put me on restriction from buying any more kits or fabric. I haven't totally stopped buying yet.

Comment

The 'Fabric Stash' comes with time. And for some of us that time was short lol, but it does build up. If I see a fabric that I love or that reminds me of someone, I buy it even if I'm not planning a quilt for it at that time. I also go to big sales and add to my stash. Then there is the left overs from quilts I've made. I usually have left overs because I buy more than needed just in case I mess up or decide to change things up a little. I'm a fabric hoarder myself lol. I have plenty of fabric and yet I still buy fabric. Some sales I just can't pass up.
                    Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Great, it's gonna take for ever for my stash to get big!!!! I'm scared to cut up what I have cause it looks so pretty on the shelf. Yet I know it will be prettier created into something better.

Comment

Try Hobby Lobby if you have one near you - at mine, they put remnants on a shelf on the back wall near the fabric section - they also regularly mark down fabric - got a really pretty print that was marked down to $3/yd

Comment

Originally posted by RoseMA View Post
                          I started getting a mystery FQ when I find a DD I like. It's only a couple dollars more and I get something I may not have even looked at that turns out to be pretty good.
                          I know what you mean though about not wanting to cut into what you have.
                          What's the mystery FQ?

Comment

A good place to get it going is ebay.

fabric scraps | eBay
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I shop Joann's and watch for the coupons. You can use as many as you can find in one transaction as long as the UPC/scan codes are different. I get them in the USPS mailer,their online store and via email to me...and they are all different. They also take 1 each of a competitors coupon so I always have a 40% off from Michaels and HObby Lobby. I have used up to 9 coupons in one transaction...and I only have to go once a month - it is a bit of a drive to Joann's. Ijust stocked up on my solids Legacy Studio (they have Kona too) and all at 40/50% off so basically it is buy one yard get one free so LS it $6 a yard so I get it for $3 a yard.

Also check local thrift stores. I have one near me and I check every thrusday when the stock new stuff. I often find yardage and even newer sheets (to use as backing) and other sewing things.I have gotten many good deals on fabric pieces. Yards of fabric for a buck!
                              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X