Jelly roll question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly roll question....

So I have watched the video and am doing the new jelly roll race w/the small squares of fabrics mixed in. As she explains how to do it, she says to sew them in the order they come off the roll. Well, my question is this -

There are two of each one together. Do I sew two like ones together, or do I separate them out into two identical piles then stack them on top of each other??
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Re: Jelly roll question....

I would sew them as they come off the roll. I think it will all work out in the end! I like to go with the flow!
    April

Comment

So I'd be sewing two like pieces together everytime?
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

I like to mix them up.

Comment

You can sew them either way. I have taken them off the roll as is. And I took one set and put them in a laundry basket and really mixed them up and sewed them as they were pulled out of the basket.

Comment

Wouldn't there be some movement because of bringing the bottom up to the top?
            April

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
              You can sew them either way. I have taken them off the roll as is. And I took one set and put them in a laundry basket and really mixed them up and sewed them as they were pulled out of the basket.
              I like that idea.... I have a basket of a CW jelly roll....all mixed together.... I'll give your idea a try....cross your fingers... My first effort re. the JRR was....shall we say....a little different....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                I like that idea.... I have a basket of a CW jelly roll....all mixed together.... I'll give your idea a try....cross your fingers... My first effort re. the JRR was....shall we say....a little different....
                Way to get back on the horse for another try, Sandy!

Comment

Okay, that is over and done with!!! Two hours, 15 minutes and the top is done except for the ironing. It's kinda cool how it goes together, but what a mess from all the little flecks of thread! I'm sure I have about half a lung full.....
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Before I unroll my Jelly Rolls I run a lint roller over the ends. It usually takes 3-4 sheets from the lint roller but it really catches all the loose "flecks".

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                    Okay, that is over and done with!!! Two hours, 15 minutes and the top is done except for the ironing. It's kinda cool how it goes together, but what a mess from all the little flecks of thread! I'm sure I have about half a lung full.....
                    Robin
                    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Pictures??
                      April

Comment

I'd love to see pictures, too! I just started my first jellyroll race. BUT...I cut my own strips, so I don't have the issue of sewing them as they come off the roll. I wanted to ensure it would be all jumbled up, so I cut a portion of the strips shorter, using a random length. I will use both of the cut pieces here and there. And, I made sure I had several cut pieces of each fabric. I'm dying to find out how it's all going to work out, but I'm still stitching the pieces together. It'll be days before I'm ready to start the "race." For some reason, these quilts intrigue me. So simple...yet so many variations.

Comment

Hi,

Which way did you end up sewing them? As they came off the roll or did you divide into 2 piles ? I'm getting ready to make one of these quilts, also, and like you, I don't really want 2 of the same patterns together.

Thanks very much,
                          cherylm

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            Hi,

Which way did you end up sewing them? As they came off the roll or did you divide into 2 piles ? I'm getting ready to make one of these quilts, also, and like you, I don't really want 2 of the same patterns together.

Thanks very much,
                            cherylm
                            I split them into two identical piles and did it that way. I may have to rethink it if I do another one. I'll also be buying a lint brush!!
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

On the previous ones I mixed them up and on the one I started tonight I used them as they came from the roll. I'll finish it up tomorrow and see what it looks like.
                              Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                              I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                              X