Why don't I like to cut my borders????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't I like to cut my borders????

Why do I dislike doing borders so much. I think the precuts have spoiled me. I have the top done for my baby quilt. I took the Dot to Dot idea and sort of done my own version based on what Natalie showed on the video. I need to do the borders I cut one 2 weeks ago and it went crooked so I put it down and did something else. I only have 5 weeks left until due date or less. I already have a tan fabric that will work I think so I hate to buy something else. It is a really large piece though. Any suggestions on how to make it easier. I only have a 23" cutting mat and a 24" ruler. Have to do the best with what I have.

Re: Why don't I like to cut my borders????

Misty, if this is normal quilting fabric it will be approximately 44" so if it is folded in half it will fit your mat and ruler and will require only the one cut. So long as you folded the fabric straight and were careful to not move your rule while cutting, your piece should be straight. simply join the number of pieces you need to get the length required for the border and you are done, easy. But honestly I hate doing the borders as well, piecing the top is so much more interesting.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

There is so much more creativity in the pieced top! For the border, I too, fold my fabric (may have to do more than once to fit the mat), making sure the selvage edges are even...otherwise the cut comes out wobbly. Holding the ruler tight (wearing rubber gloves will hold it in place better) and putting non slip spots on the back of the ruler will help, too. Good luck! But isn't it true there is usually something about the whole process we aren't crazy about doing.....that's where procrastination creeps in!

Comment

I'm with Lynn on this one. Piecing is so much more fun. The anticipation of getting the blocks assembled and then doing the border makes me antsy. I have a box for my quilt tops that I have finished and need to be quilted. I decided that is my winter work. Especially now that spring is here, lol.
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Since I hate cutting fabric too, and LOVE the precuts, I have used jelly roll strips to border a couple of quilts that I have done. I have used natural, brown, black, and white this way. I have also made a wider border from leftover precut fabrics from my quilt top. I can't remember what Jenny called the border, but it is in her jelly charm quilt tutorial on Sympoz. Basically you take the leftover pieces of the jelly rolls and sew 4 pieces together on the long sides. Then you can cut pieces (I have done 4 inch and 3 inch pieces) and sew them together to make a scrappy border that is very cute. I would think you can use any leftover fabric to make a scrappy border and then it is fun to make too, not so boring.
          Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Working...
          X