No Laughing Allowed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Laughing Allowed!!!

Jenny says no one can mess up a JRR quilt.... I beg to duffer...

This is what happened.... Can it be fixed? What went wrong?
    Attached Files

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: No Laughing Allowed!!!

I would never laugh. And.... I haven't a clue. Maybe you just made a new kind of quilt. Name it

Comment

Hmmmm, I've never done the JRR so can't explain what happened. Can you maybe take the two half's apart and make two smaller quilts.
      sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Well.....it looks interesting enough! If you figure out what you did, please let me know, because I plan on sewing one on my days off tomorrow and Thursday!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Looks like you may have either cut it in half too many times OR cut it correctly and sewed the wrong sides together?
          You should be sewing the long length - parallel with the strip lengths - together. In the middle there you are sewing the short 2.5" seams together.

Comment

Ok-well . . .hmmmm. This is a new one. I am going to have to make another of these quilts and try to see what happened here.

We need Jean to step in with her jelly roll quilt knowledge. Jean? Jean?!? oh, JEAN?!?!? we need you!

Comment

I have no clue..... I think I ....oh, I don't know...

I have a bunch of 30's strips.....will practice on them when I get home after having my hair cut and hoping to the Y.... I think I need prayers....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I think you went too far folding them together to sew and then cut it in half and put it together. There is a point where you get a really long thin quilt if you do it too many times.

Again, I am not sure because for some reason, when I look at it, it looks familiar yet not.

Comment

Figured it out! I cut along the wrong side.... DUH

I don't think I can fix it, but I can make four small quilts.... Maybe.....

Later:
                  I was looking at it, and remembering what I did.... I made the last pass, then...for some unknown reason cut it so that there was one very narrow, long strip.... THEN.... It gets worse....I ripped the long thing in the middle, and sewed that skinny half to the other one....ergo....a total mess... Just wasn't paying attention, I guess....I'm still not really sure how I got the long, narrow strip in the first place...

I wish Jenny could see this.... She would be shaking her head in wonder....

And I was so happy to finally be making a JRR quilt....
                  Last edited by easyquilts; March 11, 2014, 12:08 PM.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

You could cut it into long strips and make a coin quilt! That would be really interesting. And it would make it a bit wider.
                    Last edited by Hulamoon; March 11, 2014, 12:08 PM.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

It looks like you cut the wrong side. When you get to where you have 16 strips you fold your ends up one more time and sew along the long seam. Then you will have a fold at the bottom that you cut. when you open it up you should have 32 rows. Hope this helps for the next one.

I would open your center seam and make two lap quilts out of it. Just add one or two borders around each one..
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Or you could consider it a "Happy accident" and a new quilt design!
                        Donna

Comment

I mean this to be funny so PLEASE take it that way! You could just rename it Jelly Roll Racing Off A Cliff! I really like the fabrics you used and I feel that it can be salvaged even if it means making it into separate smaller quilts. Good luck. And remember...we never laugh at each other here. I've always found that everyone is eager to provide help and advice whenever they can.
                          Judy

Comment

It is JRR - Book Style Quilt. A brand new pattern by Sandy!!!
                            Laughing? I am not even smiling - super serious., ahem!!!
                            Preeti
                            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why don't you open the middle lengthwise seam, cut each section in half lengthwise again. Add wide strips in between each JR section. That would make a really interesting coin quilt, as someone else suggested?
                              I don't think this is a disaster, just a new quilt adventure. My experience is that seldom is a quilt beyond redemption,,, just forget about any "mistakes" and see if what you have inspires you to come up with a different design.
                              Love your colors, Sandy!!! Don't give up.
                              Last edited by Quiltfreestyle; March 11, 2014, 12:58 PM. Reason: Spelling, what else??
                              May the road rise up to meet you...
                              May the wind be always at your back...
                              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X