FMQ woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ woes

It sure is different trying to do FMQ on a quilt than it is on a practice sandwich or even a fat quarter. I find that moving a quilt around is a lot harder than moving a fat quarter. I lose control. I guess it will get better. Sigh......
    Peggy:icon_hug:

Re: FMQ woes

Yes you will! Try thinking of the quilt as sections and it may go better for you.

Comment

Also, try to have as much surface area as possible. the more table you have to lay your quilt out on, the less drag you'll get on that larger hung of fabric. It gets easier with practice. It really does.
      My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

I have a very large table with another coming out to make an L shape. The quilt gets caught on the right hand part of my extension table. I am quilting in sections. But I just cant find the right time to reposition my hands. I find myself with my arms stretched out and just about guiding my quilt with my elbows, lol. What a sight to see.. Ill get the hang of it. Just different. Thanks for your encouragement.

Comment

If your machine has a speed control, try using that. Set to a medium speed, have as much of your quilt supported as you can.......I put the ironing board firmly against me on the left and a little behind. Remember that you are not drawing with the needle, you are drawing with the fabric. Try having someone hold a pencil on a piece of paper and write your name by moving the paper. That is what you are doing with FMQ and it in counter intuitive but your brain will accept it quicker than you think. Do some circles and loops and don't be afraid to go over a line you have sewn to get to where you want to go. RELAX your shoulders too. the more you hunch in panic the less control you have.

If I am honest, I learnt by doing pebbles with badly written swear words in between! When I could read the swearing I knew the speed and control were getting there. After that I dropped the swearing although hidden DEEP inside my last quilt was a secret 'bum' because I got frustrated lol.
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Daisy View Post
            If your machine has a speed control, try using that. Set to a medium speed, have as much of your quilt supported as you can.......I put the ironing board firmly against me on the left and a little behind. Remember that you are not drawing with the needle, you are drawing with the fabric. Try having someone hold a pencil on a piece of paper and write your name by moving the paper. That is what you are doing with FMQ and it in counter intuitive but your brain will accept it quicker than you think. Do some circles and loops and don't be afraid to go over a line you have sewn to get to where you want to go. RELAX your shoulders too. the more you hunch in panic the less control you have.

If I am honest, I learnt by doing pebbles with badly written swear words in between! When I could read the swearing I knew the speed and control were getting there. After that I dropped the swearing although hidden DEEP inside my last quilt was a secret 'bum' because I got frustrated lol.
            That's too funny Daisy! What a great way to practice & entertain yourself at the same time!!

Peggy..........do you have the FMQ gloves? They are very helpful.........but even so........it still takes practice. My machine is older and doesn't have the needle down feature so it gets interesting trying to hold the quilt still why I lower the needle into the fabric when I stop. Good luck.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I'll be starting to learn this in the next day or two. Ooooeeerrrr!!! Is a tad worried to say the least, lol.
              I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
              Lorraine

Comment

...."If I am honest, I learnt by doing pebbles with badly written swear words in between! When I could read the swearing I knew the speed and control were getting there. After that I dropped the swearing although hidden DEEP inside my last quilt was a secret 'bum' because I got frustrated lol. "

Thanks for the laugh!

I agree with the OP. It's hard. I keep trying though.
                One tip from a FMQ class I just took... try using latex gloves fromt he Dollar store. I prefer them to the FMQ gloves.

Comment

Wearing gloves makes a HUGE difference! I started with just garden gloves that had a little sticky tabs on the fingers. Eventually I changed to quilting gloves because they fit tighter. They not only help with moving your quilt around, they also help ease the stress on your arms.
                  :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
                    That's too funny Daisy! What a great way to practice & entertain yourself at the same time!!

Peggy..........do you have the FMQ gloves? They are very helpful.........but even so........it still takes practice. My machine is older and doesn't have the needle down feature so it gets interesting trying to hold the quilt still why I lower the needle into the fabric when I stop. Good luck.
                    Too funny Daisy... I do have FMQ gloves and needle down. I have used a medium speed, I find I am moving my hands too fast, then I moved the speed to a faster setting, then I have micro stitches. I trying to modulate my hands to move slower on the medium speed. Want to hear something funny? If not I'm going to tell it anyway... My dh came in the sewing room to chat a minute, so I stopped sewing. My dog who likes to sit under my sewing table got up to come out a stood right on my foot peddle, boy talk about a mess. He was trying to help I guess. He did make an interesting motif since the quilt was falling off my lap as I was bending down to get him off the peddle. He just panicked and wouldn't move.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                      I just cant find the right time to reposition my hands. I find myself with my arms stretched out and just about guiding my quilt with my elbows
                      Try keeping your eye on about a 4" square of your quilt. Quilt that, stop for just a second and reposition your hands. You need to stop sewing to reposition them, though I'm afraid lots of you will disagree with me! As you get better you can spread your hands farther apart and reposition less often. I only quilt a 6" to 8" square of the quilt before stopping the machine, needle down, moving my hands to a better spot and going on with FMQing. You need to control that big fabric sandwich and you can't with your elbows!
                      Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I find stopping and repositioning my hands and the quilt every 2-3 inches really makes a difference in my stitches. It's a hard habit to get in to but it works for me.

Comment

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions.k. I knew I would get some good advice. 3 cheers for the forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X