I think I found a new way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found a new way

To store my small pieces of fabric. I was given some fabric recently from meemeecyn. So I went thru and sorted it. Anything smaller than a Fat Quarter I cut in Charm Size squares or into Jelly Roll Strips. Then I took it one step further and sorted the strips or charm squares by color, solids, children's fabric, Christmas fabric ect. I also have some fabric left over from quilts I've made or projects I have worked on and I plan to do the same with those. I will then purchase those plastic shoes boxes and store them with a tag or sticker of the front of each box specifying what is in each container.

I am kind of excited about this because I am not finished make the charm squares and Jelly Roll strips but I know I have more than enough to make several quilts. Also another thing I did. I seemed to have quite a bit of blue both charm squares and Jelly Roll strips so I cut some of the blue fabric into various size blocks that I can use to piece the back of a blue quilt. I definitely see another Jacobs Ladder in my future with all the various blues that I have!

Thank you meemeecyn !!

Fannie

Live each day as if it were your last!

Re: I think I found a new way

Doesn't it feel great when your find 'your' system!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

oooohh... I like the idea of cutting the small pieces into usable 'precuts'

Comment

I'm hoping to accumulate enough stash that I need to organise it, lol. I like your system though.
        I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
        Lorraine

Comment

I bought the shoe boxes too. I think for $1.40 at Walmart. I'm hoping to get enough for a string quilt. I like how nice and clean and clear they are. Had an empty shelf so it worked perfect!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'm glad you found a system that works for you. I have used the plastic shoeboxes for the last two projects I'm working on - sure has helped with the organization.

Comment

Excellent idea!

Comment

I do pretty much the same thing...I have a basket next to my cutting table...scraps get folded up and put in there. On days I don't want to "think" I go to the scrap basket and just start cutting away. Lately my favorite size to cut these scraps into is 2 1/2 x 4 1/2
                Which I discovered was the perfect size for baby quilts. Last simmer I made 2 quilts for twins in the family a boy and girl same pattern different colors and it was perfect. I also have boxes of different size squares ranging from 1 inch all that way up to 6 inch but I haven't done anything with them yet...I keep thinking "great scrap quilt" but I'm to structured for that! Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey65 View Post
                  To store my small pieces of fabric. I was given some fabric recently from meemeecyn. So I went thru and sorted it. Anything smaller than a Fat Quarter I cut in Charm Size squares or into Jelly Roll Strips. Then I took it one step further and sorted the strips or charm squares by color, solids, children's fabric, Christmas fabric ect. I also have some fabric left over from quilts I've made or projects I have worked on and I plan to do the same with those. I will then purchase those plastic shoes boxes and store them with a tag or sticker of the front of each box specifying what is in each container.

I am kind of excited about this because I am not finished make the charm squares and Jelly Roll strips but I know I have more than enough to make several quilts. Also another thing I did. I seemed to have quite a bit of blue both charm squares and Jelly Roll strips so I cut some of the blue fabric into various size blocks that I can use to piece the back of a blue quilt. I definitely see another Jacobs Ladder in my future with all the various blues that I have!

Thank you meemeecyn !!
                  Have you checked out the book "Scrap Therapy" by Joan Ford? She recommends doing this & also cutting smaller scraps into 3 1/2" & 2" squares. She has many projects in the book to make from these "pre-cuts"
                  I started doing this a couple of years ago, really helped to manage my scraps & actually use them. LOL
                  May the road rise up to meet you...
                  May the wind be always at your back...
                  May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                  Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                  X