Here's a poser about quilt kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a poser about quilt kits

As I was buying fabric the other day online I came across a quilt pattern I really like and want. Want. Want. Want.

However, as far as I can tell the pattern only comes with the kit. And I have searched, believe me. Here's the thing- while I like the colors of the fabric I'm not a fan of the print. The kit is only about $30 and I'm shilly-shalling between buying it, making it, giving the quilt to my Mom (she'll take anything I make. Moms are great!), or buying it and putting the fabric aside to use in smaller doses.

My question is more of a 'what have you done' sort of thing. Would you buy fabric you didn't care for just for a quilt pattern? Is that insane?

Re: Here's a poser about quilt kits

I just did exactly that. My granddaughter wanted a blue and black quilt, I had a hard time finding just the right prints, went with Timeless treasures batiks, hated them, truly hated them but it's what she wanted. I made a disappearing nine patch, made tons of mistakes, had to order extra packs, couldn't wait to have that thing over with. When I got it back from the quilters, it was my favorite quilt of all I had made, mistakes and all. So my advice, don't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case....

IMG_3649 (679x800).jpg
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Tell us which pattern and maybe we can help. I wouldn't buy a kit for a pattern but that's just me. If you really want it and that's the only way to get it than go for it!
      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

It's from Connecting Threads and it's called Sunny Breakthrough

Sunny Breakthrough Quilt Kit from ConnectingThreads.com.

I love some of the Spring Terrace line of fabric and bought the honeysuckle tendrils as the background for my current quilt. I would love to use the tendrils line instead of the larger flowery print that comes in this kit.

Comment

Leah53 I'm enjoying those colors. Such a great job. I really like fabrics from Timeless Treasures. Some of the first fabric I ever purchased was theirs.

Comment

I would just email them and ask about buying the pattern only explaining that you have a fabric you want to use.

Comment

I would email them to see if they would sell the pattern separate, and if not, buy the kit. That is beautiful!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Heck you don't need a pattern for that! Just half square triangles!!
                Mary
                SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I like Cathym's idea of just contacting them directly - either by email or phone and see if they can sell you just the pattern. That would certainly be my first choice, but if that pattern really kept calling to me - I'd probably buy it with fabric I didn't like. Then I'd get on the swap boards here and see if someone was willing to swap me something for it. Maybe equal amounts of yardage in a solid or something.

Everyone's taste is different - personally, I liked the fabrics - if you really don't think you'd even like it enough to make something to give away - with all the wonderful quilters here - you could probably find a good home for it - and get something suitable in return!
                  Vicki
                  Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

I've purchased a Wallhanging kit just to get a pattern. I don't care for the fabrics included in the kit. Too dark and traditional for me. I figure once I get the wallhanging done in the colors that I choose, I will pass the pattern and kit onto someone else who wil like the fabrics.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Originally posted by Mpyles View Post
                      Heck you don't need a pattern for that! Just half square triangles!!
                      That's what I was thinking. Draft it out on graph paper or if you have EQ use that.

Comment

I agree with Mpyles (Mary). There is no need to buy that pattern.
                        I would save that picture and use it as a guide working with the colors and fabrics that I love!!!
                        Preeti
                        http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are 2 different - 16 patches in it...

Each both use

4 gray/gold
                          4 gray/black
                          8 gray/white

You need 12 of one layout and 13 of the other
                          Mary
                          SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Dang - you guys are good! I would need a pattern for that because I have a really have a hard time seeing the individual blocks.
                            Vicki
                            Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

I was wondering if it was ok to just copy the pattern. I can do half square triangles, and I'm sure I coupld figure out sizes. I emailed them a few minutes ago tomsee if I can buy just the pattern. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X