Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So unhappy with myself (A bit of a rant.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So unhappy with myself (A bit of a rant.)

I am finishing two quilts this week one is a baby quilt for a charity auction. The other is a throw for me I thought the baby quilt was perfect. But while snipping threads at the end I apparently nicked a block with my scissors. There is a quarter inch or so slash. The whole thing is finished including outline quilting of the fussy cut blocks. No way i can take it apart at this point. I slipped a bit of stitch witchery through the slash and ironed it down. Then i applied Fray Check to the edges of the slash. I honestly cant find it without intense searching. Since the auction is for the company i work for I am just going to go with it. But i am not happy with myself.

The other quilt has been a disaster from the start. I am surprised i am actually finishing it First, it was so wonky i couldnt even ease it enough to fit three of the rows in I now have 21 matching potholders! Many of the little squares of the 16-patch blocks were cut so badly that the seams ended up being miniscule. During the quilting process one of those gave up the ghost and essentially fell apart. As in the other quilt, it was so far along and so heavily quilted that i couldnt really fix it. I just stitched the loose edge down and will once agsin hit it with my trusty Fray Check. I could just cry. But,boy did I learn a lot while making this one!

Is it just me? Or do ithers of you screw up right and left while trying to get it right? I sure hope I'm not the only klutz!

Suzette
    Last edited by sassygranny; March 7, 2014, 09:15 AM.

Re: So unhappy with myself (A bit of a rant.)

I snipped the border on a quilt too. I thought I would just put a label over it. But then my cat jumped on it and stained it. The sashing and borders are white. It was doomed from the start So I feel your pain.

Since it's a coin quilt I was thinking of cutting it up into a rail fence. I have nothing to lose with it at this point. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

It's just you! Seriously, it's not just you and I feel bad for you, we've all had those days.
      Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I'm having issues my self with a quilt. Don't beat yourself up about it.

As for the 21 pot holders..... Does the actions need 10 sets of pairs of potholes? You get to keep the extra.

Comment

No - you definitely are not the only one! My first quilt contains a ton of errors and mismatches not to mention a couple of seams that fell apart - it was definitely a learning experience for me. My second quilt went MUCH better.
          sigpicCarolyn

Comment

I tried a shortcut on my baby quilts (fat quarter size).. I put the binding on with a fancy stitch, then discovered some of the quilt was not stitched.. I had to unpick 6 quilts, so I am doing them the right way shortcuts don't work. I also have a child's quilt which has to be unpicked as the back has wrinkled. Hope this weekend's sewing goes better..
            sigpic Christine.

Comment

I was snipping threads on my first two quilt tops and nicked the material in the blocks. I used the iron on patch on the back and fray check on the front and it takes a lot of looking to find the spot now.

It happens to all of us at one time or another. Just smile and be amazed when you finish it.

Comment

That is a good reason for an applique. Or the prefect place for some fancy embroidery, or the place to put the label, good luck hiding the boo boo.

Comment

What are you thinking...admitting to such mistakes...Never - ever- admit you made those kind of mistakes. Hide them, cover them up, but never tell anyone they are there, lol.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

You know, some quilts are just obnoxious.... They drive us crazy.... Seams refuse to match... Blocks are different sizes... Not enough fabric, you name it, and it happens.

Some quilts don't want to be made, so they become hard to work with.... They refuse to cooperate.... Everyone gets those kinds of quilts.... We either abandon them, or we go to war....determined to finish the darn thing.,..

Sorry you are having problems with your quilts.... I know how irritating it can be to keep running into problems.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

My favorite quilt right now is one that I went to war with and won......eventually....even hand stitched the darn thing....now it is my favorite but not for a very long time......hope to never see another one like it!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X