X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over40momma
    replied
    Re: Comments from your significant other

I can't claim that my husband is an enabler, nor is he a detractor. Best I can ever get from him is "Looks okay" no matter what it is. LOL He does look at what I do but I think it confuses him as to what I expect. So it is very difficult for me to gauge my progress, so I kind of rely on my kids to let me know if something is not quite right. My oldest has a great eye for color and the youngest just love the whole process of picking fabrics and patterns.
    I will only ask an opinion if I really want one, good or bad. Otherwise, I will just tell everyone how great it is and expect them to agree. hehe

Leave a comment:

• bonniebella
    replied

My DH is helpful for the maths of quilting. He also has been known to scan a block and play with it on the computer to get the layout for me. The annoying thing is when he will look at something I have done and say, now I would have done it this way! Got to love him though, he is very supportive of my obsessive hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Meghan Plamondon
    replied

I ask my DH and kids for their opinions as often as I can, but I think it is not really for their opinion, its just for moral support as I work. I am new to quilting, so my family knows even less then I do about it. I think by now my family has learned how to give very gentle negative comments if they dont care for something I am doing. They usually will keep quiet until I do something that they really like, then they send out tons of praise. I have a great sister who lives ten hours away who will praise everything I do no matter what, I go to her if I need a real boost of moral. I figure at this point in my quilting, there will be no masterpieces made, but as long as I like it, I am ok with that.

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

I really don't ask Joe's opinion on these things. I do this stuff to please myself pretty much. I mean I hope others like what I make for them, but if they don't I hope they'll pass it on to someone else whom they think might like it.

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

My DH is so great - always says something nice about what I make, and seems to understand the joy that sewing gives me.

He does miss the dining room table, however...

Leave a comment:

• Marty
    replied

I can't stand it when my husband criticizes but usually his comments are spot on. ( Don't tell him I said that.) Fortunately most of his comments are positive. I try to appreciate his honesty.

Leave a comment:

• BellasQuilts
    replied

Yup, love input. I have people around me that are more creative that I am, so I always seek their advice. DH also knows quilting lingo and I love it when he notices improvements in my abilities. He is a scientist; all must be square to the earth - he will examine it all. But, his opinions are thought out and always constructive. He is picking out the pattern for our (yes, I'm finally getting around to making our quilt) bedroom. He has navigated to a mariner's compass and wants stuff that relates to our travels in it. What a guy.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone else's comments on this topic - DD - great topic as always, my friend. Hugs to himself please.

Leave a comment:

• Leah53
    replied

My DH will go to the fabric store with or without me. We both went in last week and it surprised the owner, she commented that that's the first time she's seen us together, yesterday I went in and she commented that I seemed to have lost my DH again, yeah, it wasn't easy. lol He goes with me to Hobby Lobby all the time for my scrapbooking stuff and will go by himself if he's passing it and I want something. He loves everything I do but when I ask him which quilt he likes the best he'll ponder (as if he really has a clue) for a few minutes and pick the one he can see, then I ask him what the rest of them look like, he can't remember.

il_570xN.130818935.jpg

Leave a comment:

• MartinaG
    replied

Pat is my color coordinator when I am stumped. He also visits me regularly in my sewing room. As for input: When I want his opinion or advice, I will ask him specifically and he is very straightforward with his comments. Otherwise he will offer encouragement and praise. He has pointed out issues that I just didn't see and he was right every time. I love that man. Just wish he wasn't such an enabler. "Oh honey, go ahead and buy that fabric....." is not what I need to hear. His reasoning: It's still cheaper than jewelry. lol

Leave a comment:

• KnitWitRosie
    replied

I love this thread!!

My hubby's only real hobby is video games. Lol. I've been trying to get him into something craft-like for years with no success. I guess he used to do model cars when he was younger, but hasn't managed to get back into it.

When it comes to my hobbies (sewing/quilting, scrapbooking, and knitting/crocheting), he is VERY supportive. Usually to a fault. Lol. His motto is "go big or go home" when it comes to what I want to do. I put myself on a spending freeze, and he'll convince me to break it. Ha ha ha. I pick out fabric or pick something up at a store and then decide against it because either it's too expensive, don't really need it, or I can live without it... and he'll keep bugging me to get it to the point it becomes annoying. He doesn't really get into the picking out colors or patterns for things, but will give me an honest opinion if he thinks it matches or not. That's about it. He never questions purchases or asks how much I spent on something. I do the books so he knows I wouldn't have spent it if we couldn't afford it. He jokes about it, but very kind-heartedly about just how much crafting stuff I have. I'm talking TUBS of yarn, an entire room of scrapbooking supplies, and now an ever-growing stash of fabric. He keeps telling me that when we move in a few years, we won't be buying a house unless it has enough room for all my craft goodies

The only thing I kinda fault him for is giving me grief sometimes when I want to go up to my "Craft Cave" (which he put together for me and named ) when I want to get stuff done. He either whines about it that he wants to spend more time with me, or he will bug me non-stop with stupid stuff. The only craft that I can really do without him driving me nuts is knitting because I can sit on the couch with him at night and watch a movie.

Leave a comment:

• WordNerd
    replied

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
    I show my projects to my hubby and he always says, "That's so pretty". Now if he says, "that's nice", I know he isn't a big fan, but he doesn't have it in him to say he doesn't like it. Input...he never gives it. But he is very supportive of my hobby...for heaven's sakes, he bought me a ping pong table to pin quilts! Love that man!
    Hmmm...I was thinking of getting my hubby a ping pong table for Father's Day (he loves ping pong!), then using it for quilts when not in use.

Leave a comment:

• WordNerd
    replied

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
    My husband was my biggest fan.... He was actually proud of my small accomplishments as a quilter, and said so to everyone.

He was a contractor, who needed no blueprints to "see" how a project was going to look, or how it should go... He had vision, and a great eye for how things should look.....

I always sought his opinion on my work.... And nearly always took his advice.... I trusted his "eye" , and I really miss being able to share my quilts with him..... Love you, Honey....
    I should print this out and hang it on my wall for those days when I get annoyed with my hubby. He's a good man, tolerates my obsessions, and didn't gripe (too much) when I took over our daughter's room for sewing. It's good to be reminded not to sweat the small stuff.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• izzyrider07
    replied

My husband comments and takes pictures of my quilts to show at work, so he must like. As far as going shopping for fabric there is no way I want that. I use to take several teenagers to stores with me and enjoyed it. Taking him is like taking a brat who will not shut up long enough to let you think and pulls pranks and all such. I so understand why he had to sit in the back of the truck when his mother went shopping. Also he is a fussy driver and fusses when I drive, so I am outdone before we even make entry into a location. I ride with him to Church and that's about it. With all that said he is a good man and a wonderful father and grandfather, but we all dislike riding with him. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Wwena
    replied

While I have a supportive husband I have to ask for him to look at the stuff I do. He says it's nice and if there's something that really catches his eye he will say so. He is nowhere as involved as your DH but I haven't been at this for very long. The way I see it, he is still in training, as am I! I did get him to make a lovely log cabin coaster, that I'm ucrrently using at my computer. That was a fun night! For me, at least haha.

I don't get a lot of feedback overall, other than the "mandatory" compliments. The only ones that will give real feedback (apart from you, dear forum friends!) are the people who know something about the craft and those are hard to come by here. I can totally understand that, seeing as my own taste in quilting and sewing has changed so much during the 1.5 yrs I've been at it.

Leave a comment:

• CARRIE M
    replied

We have a finished basement. When we moved in 10 years ago I claimed the smaller room in the basement as my sewing room. About 3 years ago DH moved my sewing room into the larger room (his former "man cave") and took the smaller room for himself. He will come downstairs & watch tv or play on the computer while I quilt. He doesn't bug me unless I ask for his opinion. He has driven me 150 miles to a quilt show. I love taking him with me when shopping for material because he has a better eye for color than I do. He has picked up the quilting lingo so he will understand what I am talking about. He even talked me into buying a long arm because I thought it was too extravagant. So yeah, he's a keeper. Don't want him in my sewing room though. (He's a bit of a slob).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X