Comments from your significant other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments from your significant other

I was reading another thread about alone/not alone while you quilt which has provoked a lot of thought and comment. It made me wonder about 'imput' from those in your house.

I must say at this point that Mr Daisy is endlessly supportive of whatever I do, no matter how madcap it might appear he knows I can do it (not always true) and he is always up for it. I well remember taking it into my head to paint a Clarice Cliff design on the entirety of the dining room wall like this
    http://www.glamorganantiques.co.uk/ad150.jpg

It looked fab (no really it did) and he lived with it for about 5 years.

As for quilting for a long time he said 'that's lovely pet' whatever I mad., Gradually he began to learn more about quilting and he would say, 'Wow the points are good on that' or hmmmmm not my fav'. I have known him stop the car and take a photograph of a wall or a building or whatever and send it to me because it suggested a quilt pattern to him. He will do maths for me at the drop of a hat.

My daughter only likes traditional patterns and will look at an art quilt and say that she appreciates the work and talent but she prefers a nice log cabin.

So my question is...........

Are comments helpful?

Do you like imput or would you rather everyone kept their opinions to themselves unless they are positive?

By the way...... quilting lingo is catching. Mr D now refers to his pile of carving wood as his 'stash' and whats more many of his carving friends are beginning to as well lol
    Last edited by Divine Daisy; March 6, 2014, 07:56 AM.
    Blog
    http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Comments from your significant other

This made me laugh. My husband's hobby is woodworking and he also picked up the term stash for his piles of wood. I'm a little jealous that his stash is bigger than mine too.

As for comments, I like opinions and solicit them from husband, son, and sister in law often. Since I've only been quilting for about a year, give or take, I like knowing what they think looks good or bad to them. I can honestly say my teenager will give me the most honest opinion. I think my hubby will temper his opinion a bit if he isn't in love with something.

Comment

My husband is very supportative of what I do. He will give me his opinions , will comment on my work, goes to quilt shops with me ( will sometimes sit in the car but says don't rush take as long as you want). Sometimes I don't like his suggestions and sometimes they're really good. The one thing he always loves is sitting under one of my quilts on a cold night!
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I'm always asking my husband what does he think. I tell when he is not real sure of something, because this look will come across his face. My daughter will turn her nose up if she doesn't like something.

Comment

Love this thread! Wood stashes definitely would be bigger, because you can't fold wood!

I appreciate input, I like positive comments, and hate negative comments. However, I have a friend on FB who quilts, and she has made some snarky comments about some of the quilts I've made, but after I got over the snit that those comments put me in, I realized that they were the comments that made me grow in my craft. I get into ruts with quilt patterns (hence my earning of the Jean JellyRoll Queen title, since I have dozens of these quilts in my portfolio) and I tend to make the same pattern over and over again, changing it slightly with each iteration. For those viewing my creations, it seems they are all the same. So now, as a result of her saying I need to try new patterns, I do try new things, although I am on an irish chain kick, and am working on the third one of these within a month. This last one is a triple irish chain, that changed things up quite a bit!

Comments made in good humor, from someone whose opinion is valued can be good, the negative ones can help a person grow to new challenges. IMHO!

Comment

I love input and comments, sometimes I have to beg for them but I like those kind too.

My DH is a carpenter and woodworker so he appreciates all the different crafts I do. He does the math for me, helps me do layouts, holds while I take the pics, retrieves my many packages from the Post Office and never says one word, goes fabric shopping with me and actually helps to find specific fabrics, I think so that it will go faster and he can get out of there faster. There have been times when I've had to drag HIM away from gabbing with the fabric lady and I often leave him to tell her what to cut while I continue shopping. Neither one of us likes to shop so we work well together getting what we need and getting out.

After I finish every quilt he will say, "That's real nice". I have found over the years that those close to me see so much of what I do that they are immune to the "impressed" phase. My daughter says she garnered a dislike for crafts because I "forced" her to make them when she was younger. Okay, one time, I had her make walnut strawberry ornaments and "encouraged" her to sell them at school for 50 cents a piece, she got to keep the money, I was just trying to show her how to be an entrepreneur. lol When I gave her her quilt at Christmas, she opened the bag, realized what it was and starting crying before she took it out and opened it up. I think they were tears of joy, not flashback. lol

My dear, sweet father-in-law, passed away a few years ago, used to rave over my handmade cards, often said he should invest in a company for me. I wish he were here to see my quilting. No matter how bad, nothing I make is ever bad, he would praise me.
            Last edited by Leah53; March 6, 2014, 08:22 AM.
            Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I love input and comment. I may not always agree with them but still try and learn from them. My hubby and both sons give me lots of input, sometimes I listen sometimes not. Both my boys have an eye for color and what looks good...guessing they got that from me. Hubby not so much , and he usually likes all I do, just can't put 2 colors together to save his life and don't ask about 3 or 4 colors.
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

My husband is my best critic / cheerleader. He likes to go to quilt shows & helps me with fabric choices at the quilt store.
                He almost always loves what I create, & he gives any criticism in a nice way..
                The only thing he does that bugs me is to promise I'll make quilts for everyone & his brother. I wouldn't mind so much, except that I then feel obligated & it cuts into the time I have to make the quilts I want to make. I blame him for all my UFOs. Lol
                I think I've finally managed to break him of this nasty habit.. Or maybe I've just made quilts for everyone we know.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

My husband was my biggest fan.... He was actually proud of my small accomplishments as a quilter, and said so to everyone.

He was a contractor, who needed no blueprints to "see" how a project was going to look, or how it should go... He had vision, and a great eye for how things should look.....

I always sought his opinion on my work.... And nearly always took his advice.... I trusted his "eye" , and I really miss being able to share my quilts with him..... Love you, Honey....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I ask my husband's opinion on every quilt. He's quite supportive. He will go to the quilt shops with me and dutifully hold bolts and bolts of fabric while I coordinate. However, I have to keep in mind he doesn't like the scrappy look. He thinks they are too busy. They get a

Comment

I make what I like. If you like it fine. If you don't, I really don't want to hear about it. All that counts is whether I like it or not. I'm my own critic. I don't need another. I'm really on the forum to socialize, read what you are up to in your lives and to get ideas from you. The only reason I post pictures of what I make is because I really enjoy seeing your quilts/crafts so I assume you'll enjoy seeing what I make in return. After I've done all that work it would be hurtful to me to hear someone make negative remarks no matter how constructive they are. I don't think I've ever asked my husband's opinion when it comes to what I make. The only thing I consult him on is if I'm having a problem figuring out something and that usually has to do with math. Can you tell I'm extremely sensitive?
                      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 6, 2014, 09:02 AM.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I don't usually ask my husband but I will ask my daughter. When I first started sewing again and quilting we had a young woman living with us. Every day when she came home from work she would look at whatever I was making and ooh and aah over it. Guess who got my second quilt when she moved?? She cried when I gave it to her.
                        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Since I am divorced I don't have a spouse to seek input from. I do however have some friends that will be honest and give their opinions. I sometimes have to remember that they are giving their opinions and if they don't like something and I do, it is ok.

Comment

I depend on the opinions of my Mom and best friend every step of the way! I have to. I am color blind and if I pick my own fabrics it is a REAL Disaster! They help me select fabrics and make sure I don't make any weird combos in the piecing. I have done pretty good with their help. I have made 30-40 quilts so far. Everyone who received them loved them. No comments about the color blind person picking out the fabrics. I have even sold a couple!

Comment

My favorite comment to hear from dear hubby is "If you want it, just get it!"

Other than that, sure I like to hear his opinion, and love it when he is so impressed with the things I make. I really love it when he brags to his friends about it, and asks me for pictures so he can show off my stuff.

I know he is not going to get all goo-goo eyed over little dresses, or dance costumes, but he does appreciate a well done quilt!
                              Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                              X