making labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making labels

i am a newbie......i would like to make my own labels. can anyone recommend a good, EASY program to do that on my computer?

i am using picture it perfect 2002 a microsoft program that only runs on XP and is no longer supported....AND my XP laptop died ! accckkk ! the program will not run on windows 7 ( which i run on the desktop). i am totally bummed....that program is so easy to use and has so many options.

also, i have an HP printer....ink jet. i read that some inks are not machine washable....that i need permanent ink. how do i know which ink to buy (has to be HP) to ensure permanency???
    Pam

visit my blog for cards and quilting pictures
    http://www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com

Re: making labels

Pam, I can't help you with the ink question - only because I'm not up on printer ink and the permanency . . . I'd look at some of the fabrics available at the quilt stores - the ones that are used for printing. They will specify the type of ink needed. I have also heard that other inks can be 'set' with heat but may not be as permanent.

I suggest to you, though, that even a simple Word program on the computer can be used to create your labels. There are formatting menus which allow you to pick out borders for boxes, and a variety of special fonts can be downloaded to create something unique. Add a piece of clip art and you are set.

Good luck!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I would start out doing as Sandy suggested and try the photo paper to begin with. I usually emb. my labels but DD has made several quilts using the photo paper and our Epson inkjet and the picture are still good. i have her save her scraps for me to use as labels but haven't done anything with them yet.

Also you can buy quilt labels for printing form June Taylor. I have seen them online as well as Joanns. There are also sites that have free ones to print:
      http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...uiltlabels.htm
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have bought the June Taylor labels but I don't like the stiffness of the label so I have been just writing on fabric and hand embroidering it. Lots of info on blogs regarding labels if you do some searching. Good Luck!
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

thanks for the info.....the printable labels are very nice.....i might try those first....
          Pam

visit my blog for cards and quilting pictures
          http://www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
            I have bought the June Taylor labels but I don't like the stiffness of the label so I have been just writing on fabric and hand embroidering it. Lots of info on blogs regarding labels if you do some searching. Good Luck!
            Doing quilting and sewing, I think handmade labels are a must on each project! That upgrades it!
            sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

go to youtube.... and search ... making fabric quilt labels....
              crafygemini.... has a wonderful video tut.... she is something.. and you'll be amazed at what you can do....
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I use muslin and a micron pigma pen. Sometimes I use rubber stamps with the fabric ink for a graphic. I have also bordered the muslin with fabrics from the quilt. I have thought about making some cross stitch ones, but I am usually in a hurry to get the quilt finished, so the handwriting seems to be the fastest way. My grandmother writes on the binding of the kids quilts she makes. Not probably the best location as the binding gets a lot of wear over the years. It is still better than nothing though.

Good luck on your label hunt!
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Pam in terms of programmes, I use MS Publisher but as Sandy says, Word is perfectly fine for designing labels, it has lots of options.

As for the ink, the printable fabric is great BUT because I like to incorporate fabric I have used in the quilt where possible I use a product called Bubble Jet Set 2000. It is suitable for inkjet and bubblejet printers and can be used on both 100% cotton and silk. It is a solution that you put into your fabric then dry. Once dry I simply iron my piece of fabric to some freezer paper and send it through the printer as normal. Remove from freezer paper and rinse, not sure if this to remove any excess colour, although I've never noticed any or maybe to remove the solution. The result is very soft and the print is permanent. This method is a little messier than using printable fabric but I am happy with the results and then I can choose the fabric. The bottle says the company who make it is in St Louis, Missouri so it should be available in your stores.
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Lynn - thanks for that information about Bubble Jet Set - I'm going to look for it locally.
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
                    X