Backing your quilt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing your quilt??

Okay I'll admit it, I usually use bleached or unbleached muslin to back my quilts. I buy the highest quality they sell at Joann's. I have done one with an old king sheet. I like not having to piece and personally I don't want to spend the extra $$ to buy pretty fabric for the back. Fabric for the top is expensive enough. I have started doing some patchwork on the back just to use up the leftover fabric. Anyone else??
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Re: Backing your quilt??

Since I have the added expense of having to pay someone else to quilt them for me, I opt for sheets or broadcloth. Walmart has individual flat sheets, varying colors, ranging from 5.00 twin to 15.00 king, just found them the other day and that's what I'll be using from now on.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Leah53 View Post
      Since I have the added expense of having to pay someone else to quilt them for me, I opt for sheets or broadcloth. Walmart has individual flat sheets, varying colors, ranging from 5.00 twin to 15.00 king, just found them the other day and that's what I'll be using from now on.
      Sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works. My closest walmart is 30 minutes so I rarely go there.
      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I have used sheets before but always had to buy sets, it's cheaper to buy the individual ones and more color choices. My local Walmart doesn't sell fabric anymore and the next closest one does but it takes me half an hour to get one yard cut, not worth my time.
        Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I have done both. For a larger quilt, sheets sure are easy! And really affordable. I do like to piece a backing that coordinates with the front when I'm doing something special, however. It varies, depending on who is going to be using the quilt and how much work I put into it.

Suzette

Comment

Originally posted by vchale View Post
            Okay I'll admit it, I usually use bleached or unbleached muslin to back my quilts. I buy the highest quality they sell at Joann's. I have done one with an old king sheet. I like not having to piece and personally I don't want to spend the extra $$ to buy pretty fabric for the back. Fabric for the top is expensive enough. I have started doing some patchwork on the back just to use up the leftover fabric. Anyone else??
            Are they cotton sheets or does it matter? I could save a lot of $ using sheets.
            Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Do sheets really stand the test of time. After I have sheets for a year or so, I find I need new ones because of use and washing so much. I dont know if I would want that on the back of a quilt. Maybe wall hangings or placemats and such.

Does anyone have quilts that have lasted long with sheets as the backing?
              Karen
              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I've used sheets before & they seem to last pretty well. Remember, you don't usually wash quilts as often as you wash sheets.
                If you hand quilt, they can be a bear, ask me how I know.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                  Do sheets really stand the test of time. After I have sheets for a year or so, I find I need new ones because of use and washing so much. I dont know if I would want that on the back of a quilt. Maybe wall hangings or placemats and such.

Does anyone have quilts that have lasted long with sheets as the backing?
                  Karen:

My Granmother Gladys backed every q2uilt she made with sheets; after 25 years of use? My quilt is holding up beautifully!
                  Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Lots of good information here!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Sherri - thanks much - that is good to hear. I think I need to change my way of doing my backings.
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I have been buying 100% cotton sheets from Amazon which are sold individually. I get them (full) for about $10 each, but these only come in white, but white works for me. They work great for backing!
                        Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

I've been using Wal mart sheets and using up leftover blocks and pieces from quilt tops as backing for years..

I'm a dyed in the wool "thrift freak" and don't see any reason not to save some money doing things for charity..
                          i have friends that are a little more "snobby" about stuff like this, but they respect my choices... i don't enter contests or look for ribbons, only enjoy the smiles and giggles i get when someone get a cute quilt... Industry is going to have to adjust their thinking as more and more of us begin to have to find ways to safe money if we want to continue our fun hobby!!!
                          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I too have used sheets and muslin but something about spending big bucks for a pretty quilt top and then do the back just so so doesn't work for me. I like my backs to look pretty too, besides that is usually where the quilting really shows. I think its whatever works for the individual.

Comment

I buy backing fabric when I find a good sale. The clearance section of Connecting Threads has fabric for as low as $2.96/yard. I also stop at M& L Fabric whenever I'm in the LA area visiting my daughter. Their flat folds are $2.98/yd. I now have a small stash of backing fabric.

Comment

Working...
                              X