A little slow on the uptake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little slow on the uptake

I've been plugging along on my Farmer's Wifes blocks and and over the past couple of weeks I've been really struggling to make my blocks come out the right size. They're running up to 1/4" small. Talk about frustrating! So I figured my templates were off, or that I needed to just sew a scant 1/4". It wasn't until yesterday when I realized what the problem really is:

My needle has bent ever so slightly to the left. I've threaded it several times, noticed it was canted, but never connected the dots until last night.

Yeah, I'll be changing my needle today, thank you.

(DH found this whole thing highly amusing)
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Re: A little slow on the uptake

Sorry about your problems with your blocks, but thank you for letting us know. I, for one, would never have thought about a crooked needle as being the problem.
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Interesting revelation! I'm glad you figured it out and shared the info with us.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I understand that frustration. I was working on a block of the month and got to one block where you to do "Y" seams and mine was not coming out like everybody else's. Got to checking and what I thought was true 1/4" was not a true 1/4", so now I have about six blocks to redo and then finish out the quilt.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story with us...!
          It's amazing the things DH's find amusing isn't it ?.......NOT !
          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I have to keep an eye on my stitch width dial. Sometimes the needle will start to drift and I look up and it has started to migrate from 0 to 1. Not a lot, but enough to throw off the seam allowance. It must happen when I run the last piece out of the machine and pull it to snip the thread tails.

Husbands should really remember there are a lot of sharp/pokey things that can be hurled at them from the sewing room.

Glad you found the problem!
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I wouldn't have thought about a crooked needle, either.. Never would have crossed my mind....

I'm glad your frustrating problem has been solved...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Glad you found the problem. I'm like everyone else, I never would have thought about the needle.
                ~ Tracy

Comment

I am sorry such a tiny thing made such a big problem for you and your blocks. I know since I moved my sewing machine to a straight on position, it has drastically improved my 1/4 inch seams and made them all more uniform. Being off by just a thread really matters when you are making multiple tiny seams in very small blocks. Some of these blocks are very intricate with tiny (#13) pieces. Those little errors really can add up! So glad you figured it out and you have my permission to give that laughing fellow a swift kick in the rump!

Comment

Working...
                  X