I am officially brain dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am officially brain dead...

I've been sewing for two days, and I have had to rip this quilt out so many times I cannot believe it. My dh did not believe it when I told him. I've never made so many mistakes in a quilt before. It seems like I turned everything as I sewed it... RIP! On top of that... the "silver" fabric I bought to sash and border the Black and Red Nine patch ravels so bad that I had seams coming apart before I finished sewing them together.

I'm just sick about it too. It's done, all sashed, but I can't decide to rip it all out and save my 25 nine patch blocks made with charms, and get a different sash fabric or just let it go and move on. Not sure if I want to pay money to have it quilted if it's going to ravel out. So bummed.

Just an FYI... But this fabric is horrible>>>> Bella Solids - Silver Yardage - Moda Fabrics - Moda Fabrics

Re: I am officially brain dead...

Weird that a Bella solid is behaving so badly. It might be better to save your 9 patches now and get different sashing.

Adding a link here. I've used this jelly roll and had no issues with it raveling. http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...ds-ash-roll-up
    Last edited by K. McEuen; March 3, 2014, 11:24 PM.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thats not good new for you or my stash. I have some of that yardage

I would save the nine patchs too amd resash
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Definitely need to use something that is pinked edge Karen. thanks. I am sick about it, I'm a pretty quick ripper, so that doesn't bother me... but UGH... not happy about it.

Comment

You need to take pictures of the fabric raveling and write to Moda. Maybe they will replace it

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I feel sorry for M* because I bought it from them and I can see right now that people who use this are not going to be happy. I just wanted to finish this quilt before I left for Florida later this month. I guess I will pick up that Jelly Roll when I am in the shop on Wednesday. So, off to the shower now... and RIPPING tomorrow.

Comment

Hey Karen, I had a thought... it may not make sense.. But isn't there a fabric glue of some sort? I could run that down my edges or my seams and stop the raveling? Seems to me I've heard of that. Right now, the thought of ripping all the sashing out seems so daunting to me.

Comment

Ahhh yes, what I thought I had seen... I had! LOL. Now to decide if I trust it...

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/dri...-sealant-.htm?

Comment

Fray check works but can make things kind of stiff

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Well dagnabbit, I don't want to use that then, back to ripping tomorrow.

Comment

If you leave it in, how about quilting on top of every seam? Sometimes I use the ladder stitch (looks like a double sided blanket stitch) over the seams. I like doing this on children/baby quilts since I know they will be washed a lot.
                      Vonnie

Comment

That's terrible about the fraying. I had that happen on a Quilt of Valor where the LQS was selling the kits and they would provide the quilting. One of those fabrics did that to me - strings everywhere! I don't remember who made it but it was a popular one.
                        Vonnie

Comment

I know how discouraging this is for you, The Double Slice I just finished was unraveling as fast as I could sew it. I took it to Reggie and asked her to quilt it with her small stippling, hoping it will help hold things together. My fabric is Birchbark Lodge by Moda.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Ahh Gloria, so sorry this is happening. Have you thought about running another line of very small stitching on top of what you have already sewn? That may keep it from unraveling. I bought some white Moda backing fabric when I was at the shop that did the same thing. (maybe not as bad as yours) Good luck with what ever you decide. I was hoping to make it there for this Wednesday's BOM, but not gonna be able to. DD had her schedule changed..
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

It sounds as if Moda has had a bad mill run on some fabric!
                              I'd certainly notify M* if that is where you bought it. They don't want to continue to sell that bolt of yardage if it's going to fall apart on the quilter!
                              I'd also take photos and send a sample of the fabric along with a copy of your receipt to Moda. They have a reputation to protect. My guess is they will compensate you in some way. They should also be made aware they have a problem. Sometimes those things slip through QC.

Since the silver is trash anyway, I'd just cut it loose saving the 9-patches.
                              Sorry for your troubles. How completely frustrating!
                              Be who you are and say what you feel
                              because those who mind don't matter,
                              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X