Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandma G
    replied
    Re: Please tell me I'm not the only one...

When I place an order I print out my receipt and if the fabric is for something in particular I jot down what my intentions were. I started doing that after a few times of placing an order and not remembering exactly why when the order arrived. I'm glad I am in such good company having the memory problem!!!

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I have to write it down in my quilting notebook or I forget what I'm going to do with the fabric. The other thing is there are many times I'm wanting to quilt but have no idea what I have on hand or want to do, so I flip through the notebook and figure out what to do. Of course, I'm also reminded that I have several quilts that need to be sent out to the machine quilter.

Leave a comment:

• stationarymom
    replied

i've had packages come in more times and not even remember that i ordered them until i see them then i look at my husband and say sorry i forgot i had that coming. good thing i'm not a big spender.

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

I was just cleaning a little in my sewing room & realized I bought 3 charm packs from M*. I really like them but I never buy charm packs & I have no clue why i bought these. I seem to remember they were DD when I first joined,,, it must have the euphoria of finding this wonderful forum. Ha ha ha

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

I think it's funny when you buy something from M*, at the bottom of the confirmation screen, there is a box that says something like, What Are You Going to Do With This? has anyone else noticed this box?

I just laugh when I see it because I usually don't have a clue what I'm going to do. Sometimes I've thought about putting something snarky in the box just because. I'd love to read what other put in that box.

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
    As soon as I finished writing my original forum note, I went and got my notebook which now sits next to my computer! I have always written down the information when I start a quilt with the date, pattern, fabric line, finish date, and quilt name. I also clip a small section of each fabric, attach it to the information above and file it in my completed quilt book. Guess I just need to add a section with orders, fabrics, and plans. Certainly can't rely on my memory anymore! As if bathing suit body, natural hair color, and sleeping through the night weren't enough to lose as I get older, I can now add short-term memory loss!
    If you only knew what you are really in store for... Wait, what is this discussion about? LOL

Forgetting why you purchased the fabric leads to a great fabric stash!

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Only every day. No, seriously...some times I can remember, but most of the time I just buy fabric cuz I like it, and figure out what I am going to do with it much later.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabear
    replied

Did that recently. Finally found the pattern for a layer cake I purchased. Only to find I have three of the same charm packs. I have no clue why I bought them, but I * know* I bought them for a specific reason.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
    yep, me too.... and I also change my mind at least 100 times about which pattern quilt I will eventually make with such and such precut...
    That's my problem..... I keep changing my mind about everything..... I take soooooo long to decide what fabric to use with what pattern..... It's always hard for me to make that first cut.....or begin arranging and sewing together those precuts...

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

You know, I try to be flexible about this kind of thing. Rather than worry about my short term memory or beat myself up for being an idiot, I just pick another pattern or put the fabric away until inspiration strikes.
    Saves a lot of wear & tear on my nerves. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• soul60s
    replied

As soon as I finished writing my original forum note, I went and got my notebook which now sits next to my computer! I have always written down the information when I start a quilt with the date, pattern, fabric line, finish date, and quilt name. I also clip a small section of each fabric, attach it to the information above and file it in my completed quilt book. Guess I just need to add a section with orders, fabrics, and plans. Certainly can't rely on my memory anymore! As if bathing suit body, natural hair color, and sleeping through the night weren't enough to lose as I get older, I can now add short-term memory loss!
    You lose all that when you get old????? Awww sh*t. I'M OLD!!!!

Leave a comment:

• soul60s
    replied

Does anyone else do this or am I in a group of one? PLEASE tell me that I'm not alone! I'll see a beautiful quilt in the gallery or a tutorial or a pattern and I say, "Gee, I think I'll make that!" So I look through M* (or another site- sorry) for the perfect fabric, order it, and then it comes! YEA! So then I eagerly open my package, look at the gorgeous fabric and I say, "Now what was I going to make with this again?" because by the time I've gotten the package (which sadly is usually only a matter of days...not weeks...not months....but DAYS), I've seen 30 more beautiful quilts in the gallery or watched 7 more tutorials or looked at 20 more patterns. Just happened today! Got in 4 charm packs from M* (2 Printemps, 2 white)....now if I could only remember what I was going to do with them........
    Every single time!!! I bought a jelly roll, border and binding and can't remember what I was going to make with it. I need to take notes!

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

Or a Post-it with the order number & date under the title of the quilt pattern you had intended? Short, sweet & to the point. If stuck on the computer it might remind you that you already bought it too.

I have an opposite problem. I bought pre-cuts with the idea I'd find something to do with them, and one plastic shoe box thingie is stuffed with charm-packs and the other has assorted pre-cuts including turnovers, a full jelly, a couple of half sized ones I was gifted, and several other lovelies. So I have stopped buying more until I make some room in the boxes. that might be awhile since I have other stash to work through too!
    Ack! I gotta stop thinking about all of that fabric just waiting for me like a monster in the corner!

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

It might help to make a note on the e-mail receipt that you get and then send it to yourself. Just have to remember to do that, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

I don't think, with only a couple exceptions, that I've ever had something definite in mind when I buy fabric . . . That is much worse than my short-term memory loss.

Today I sorted patterns and ideas that I've downloaded and printed out, filed them all away in my numerous notebooks which are dedicated to things like bags and purses, helpful hints, quilt patterns, pincushions, paper piecing . . . you get the idea. And then I filed away some magazines and glanced through one of my hundreds of quilting books and walked away shaking my head. When in the world am I ever going to get the time to make at least one thing from all of those ideas??????????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X