Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Does anyone else do this or am I in a group of one? PLEASE tell me that I'm not alone! I'll see a beautiful quilt in the gallery or a tutorial or a pattern and I say, "Gee, I think I'll make that!" So I look through M* (or another site- sorry) for the perfect fabric, order it, and then it comes! YEA! So then I eagerly open my package, look at the gorgeous fabric and I say, "Now what was I going to make with this again?" because by the time I've gotten the package (which sadly is usually only a matter of days...not weeks...not months....but DAYS), I've seen 30 more beautiful quilts in the gallery or watched 7 more tutorials or looked at 20 more patterns. Just happened today! Got in 4 charm packs from M* (2 Printemps, 2 white)....now if I could only remember what I was going to do with them........
    Judy

Re: Please tell me I'm not the only one...

No one else does that.....you are not alone though, just Unique!!!!
    Kidding! Sorry, couldn't resist!
    ~Kathy~

Comment

yep, me too.... and I also change my mind at least 100 times about which pattern quilt I will eventually make with such and such precut...

Comment

I order fabric and change my mind even before it arrives sometimes. Then order more, then go back to my first choice!
        sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking you need a handy dandy notebook to write things down in! I like to send myself text messages so I have them on my phone when I need them!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Oh, yes, I've done that!

Actually, because I've done that, I now keep a notebook near my desk and when I order fabric (I buy almost all of my fabric from MSQC now), I write down what fabric I ordered and which pattern I plan on making with it. That way, when the fabric arrives, I'm ready to hit the quilt room and get to it!
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

That's why I usually just buy what I like, & figure out what to do with it later. Then I don't have to remember why I bought it. LOL
              I bought 3 jelly rolls when I first discovered M* then saw the jelly roll race tutorial, so at least one of those will end up as a JRR.
              Still not sure what I'm going to do with the others but I'm sure I'll think of something some day...
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

As soon as I finished writing my original forum note, I went and got my notebook which now sits next to my computer! I have always written down the information when I start a quilt with the date, pattern, fabric line, finish date, and quilt name. I also clip a small section of each fabric, attach it to the information above and file it in my completed quilt book. Guess I just need to add a section with orders, fabrics, and plans. Certainly can't rely on my memory anymore! As if bathing suit body, natural hair color, and sleeping through the night weren't enough to lose as I get older, I can now add short-term memory loss!
                Judy

Comment

I don't think, with only a couple exceptions, that I've ever had something definite in mind when I buy fabric . . . That is much worse than my short-term memory loss.

Today I sorted patterns and ideas that I've downloaded and printed out, filed them all away in my numerous notebooks which are dedicated to things like bags and purses, helpful hints, quilt patterns, pincushions, paper piecing . . . you get the idea. And then I filed away some magazines and glanced through one of my hundreds of quilting books and walked away shaking my head. When in the world am I ever going to get the time to make at least one thing from all of those ideas??????????
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

It might help to make a note on the e-mail receipt that you get and then send it to yourself. Just have to remember to do that, LOL.

Comment

Or a Post-it with the order number & date under the title of the quilt pattern you had intended? Short, sweet & to the point. If stuck on the computer it might remind you that you already bought it too.

I have an opposite problem. I bought pre-cuts with the idea I'd find something to do with them, and one plastic shoe box thingie is stuffed with charm-packs and the other has assorted pre-cuts including turnovers, a full jelly, a couple of half sized ones I was gifted, and several other lovelies. So I have stopped buying more until I make some room in the boxes. that might be awhile since I have other stash to work through too!
                      Ack! I gotta stop thinking about all of that fabric just waiting for me like a monster in the corner!
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
                        Does anyone else do this or am I in a group of one? PLEASE tell me that I'm not alone! I'll see a beautiful quilt in the gallery or a tutorial or a pattern and I say, "Gee, I think I'll make that!" So I look through M* (or another site- sorry) for the perfect fabric, order it, and then it comes! YEA! So then I eagerly open my package, look at the gorgeous fabric and I say, "Now what was I going to make with this again?" because by the time I've gotten the package (which sadly is usually only a matter of days...not weeks...not months....but DAYS), I've seen 30 more beautiful quilts in the gallery or watched 7 more tutorials or looked at 20 more patterns. Just happened today! Got in 4 charm packs from M* (2 Printemps, 2 white)....now if I could only remember what I was going to do with them........
                        Every single time!!! I bought a jelly roll, border and binding and can't remember what I was going to make with it. I need to take notes!
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
                          As soon as I finished writing my original forum note, I went and got my notebook which now sits next to my computer! I have always written down the information when I start a quilt with the date, pattern, fabric line, finish date, and quilt name. I also clip a small section of each fabric, attach it to the information above and file it in my completed quilt book. Guess I just need to add a section with orders, fabrics, and plans. Certainly can't rely on my memory anymore! As if bathing suit body, natural hair color, and sleeping through the night weren't enough to lose as I get older, I can now add short-term memory loss!
                          You lose all that when you get old????? Awww sh*t. I'M OLD!!!!
                          Hugs,
                          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

You know, I try to be flexible about this kind of thing. Rather than worry about my short term memory or beat myself up for being an idiot, I just pick another pattern or put the fabric away until inspiration strikes.
                            Saves a lot of wear & tear on my nerves. LOL.
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                              yep, me too.... and I also change my mind at least 100 times about which pattern quilt I will eventually make with such and such precut...
                              That's my problem..... I keep changing my mind about everything..... I take soooooo long to decide what fabric to use with what pattern..... It's always hard for me to make that first cut.....or begin arranging and sewing together those precuts...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X