I think I've broken my sewing machine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've broken my sewing machine.

Oh no! What have I done? I wanted to do an embroidery stitch but forgot to change the foot to a wide mouthed one and the needle crunched down on the small eyed foot and broke. But the machine kept trying to sew.

I stopped the machine, changed the needle and rethreaded, but now it sews on the same spot and gets the thread really tight. This happens straight away and it's difficult to get the fabric out from under the needle. . I've taken out the bobbin and cleaned all the machine and rethreaded. But no good.

It's a Janome 8900.

Do you think I've knocked the timing out?

Re: I think I've broken my sewing machine.

Have you tried turning the machine off, then back on to reset the computer?
    Cathryn

Comment

I did that on my Singer Futura Quartet and after almost two hours on the phone to Singer help desk (they were very good and would not hang up till the figured it out!), they told me how to reset my machine and it worked fine after. I have done one or two times since and have always been able to fix it. On mine, you unplug it, turn it on and off 3x and plug it all back in.....turn it on and magic! It worked!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have forgotten to move my needle to the correct position with a 1//4 inch foot and broken needles. I just turned if off, redid everything and turned back on and reset. All worked ok.

However, this is the reason I no longer use the quarter inch foot - I hate that it has a single little hole. I would love to have a quarter inch foot with a larger needle space so it does not matter where my needle is
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Oh no! I can't help you cause I don't own a janome, so I'm not sure how they work. I hope it's something simple and someone here can help you figure it out. Good luck!
          Cil
          A quilt is a blanket of love
          http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
          http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I guess I'm extra careful with my little Janome. My Pfaff can be set so it won't sew anything but straight stitches. I keep it that way most of the time, and then get mad because it won't zig zag until I reset it. It has saved me lots of needles, that I can break in the Janome! Mine is just a Jem Platinum without all the stitches you have. The Pfaff is a Creative Vision.

Comment

I don't have that model, but with mine, when I thought I had really trashed it, I turned it off, unplugged it, waited a short time, plugged it in, restarted, was fine. Like most computers, it seems to reset. worth a try.

Comment

I'm sure you haven't broken it. The only question is whether you will be able to reset it yourself or whether you will have to take it in to have it reset. But I doubt that your machine is that fragile, because that is probably a relatively common mistake and Janome wouldn't make a machine that would break due to a common user error.

sigpic
                Marci

Comment

Working...
                X