Something else I saw at Sew Expo......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else I saw at Sew Expo......

It really is an overwhelming show, and as I said before, the largest in the US. I had originally walked past the booth w/the quilting frame made w/the pvc pipe you use on a table top because I had looked in the past and it was not something I was interested in. Then I noticed they had quilts of all sizes hanging in their booth, which was something new.

Upon closer inspection, they had quilt kits where the fabrics are all laser cut, from miniature up to lap and bigger. I didn't think the prices were bad, $50 - $55 for a nice sized lap for a storm at sea? Totally worth it.

Anyway, here is their link for anyone interested. I think I will be ordering one, once I get a few things done that I've already started!!

Flynn Quilt Frame Company: Category: Pre Cut Kits
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Re: Something else I saw at Sew Expo......

wow, really nice quilt pictures, I have not checked the pricing yet.

Comment

Oh - I remember John Flynn! He was on Simply Quilts several times. He is an engineer whose wife was a quilter. She asked him to make a quilt frame and he decided to make one he had to first learn how to quilt - and as they say "the rest is history". I wonder if he will be at the Expo in Lakeland? I will be sure to look for his display. He makes gorgeous quilts and had a "strip pieced" way to make a wedding ring.
      Donna

Comment

At the Expo, they had the wedding ring quilt, drunkards path, and storm at sea. I should have bought one then, but I really was trying to behave!!!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

At Sew Expo, Puyallup, I purchased a Flynn Quilt Frame. I spent a whole week working with it. I am very happy to say that I am able to do free motion quilting with no stress to my hands, neck or shoulders. In fact, I have really just begun to quilt and have spent many hours trying to free motion quilt with my sewing machine. Since I have arthritic hands it was very difficult. I am so pleased with this frame that I wanted to share my experience. I have 3 quilt tops ready and although I will only quilt them with stippling I will be doing it my self. I really like to do all of my own work so this frame allows me to do it.

The Frame comes with 48" poles but you can add longer ones for wider quilts. The largest you can quilt on the 48 " poles is about 45" wide. So to do larger quilts you would have to have an alternative approach. Initially I thought just to get longer poles. However, since using the frame - in the space I have available - I have decided instead to try a quilt in panels for larger quilts. There are many tutorials about different ways to join quilted sections and when I am ready to tackle a BIG quilt I will give one of them a try. If you are thinking of trying this quilt frame out I just want to share that my experience has been very positive. The DVD that comes with the kit is very informative and the Flynn website is also helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyO View Post
            At Sew Expo, Puyallup, I purchased a Flynn Quilt Frame. I spent a whole week working with it. I am very happy to say that I am able to do free motion quilting with no stress to my hands, neck or shoulders. In fact, I have really just begun to quilt and have spent many hours trying to free motion quilt with my sewing machine. Since I have arthritic hands it was very difficult. I am so pleased with this frame that I wanted to share my experience. I have 3 quilt tops ready and although I will only quilt them with stippling I will be doing it my self. I really like to do all of my own work so this frame allows me to do it.

The Frame comes with 48" poles but you can add longer ones for wider quilts. The largest you can quilt on the 48 " poles is about 45" wide. So to do larger quilts you would have to have an alternative approach. Initially I thought just to get longer poles. However, since using the frame - in the space I have available - I have decided instead to try a quilt in panels for larger quilts. There are many tutorials about different ways to join quilted sections and when I am ready to tackle a BIG quilt I will give one of them a try. If you are thinking of trying this quilt frame out I just want to share that my experience has been very positive. The DVD that comes with the kit is very informative and the Flynn website is also helpful.
            Thanks for the info, Nancy! I am really excited to see this. I hope he is also at the Lakeland show next month. I think this might be on my list in the near future. I don't foresee me ever owning a LAQ machine, but something like this might be an option.
            Donna

Comment

I must tell you that I am an inexperienced Free Motion Quilter. I had real problems trying on just my sewing machine. It took me about 1 week, practicing everyday to get stitches that were consistent with the Flynn frame. I have learned to relax, listen to the machine and move the frame it self very slowly. Check out the video on the flynnquilt.com website. This week I will start on a baby quilt and am feeling more confident that I have ever felt. I'm not ready for creative designs yet but I have hope, now, that I can get there.

Comment

I just watched most of the video. I think I will put this on my "want" list. I checked the expo website and he is not listed as a vendor in Lakeland.
                Donna

Comment

Originally posted by NancyO View Post
                  I must tell you that I am an inexperienced Free Motion Quilter. I had real problems trying on just my sewing machine. It took me about 1 week, practicing everyday to get stitches that were consistent with the Flynn frame. I have learned to relax, listen to the machine and move the frame it self very slowly. Check out the video on the flynnquilt.com website. This week I will start on a baby quilt and am feeling more confident that I have ever felt. I'm not ready for creative designs yet but I have hope, now, that I can get there.
                  Well yesterday was a complete disaster with my Flynn Frame. I tried to quilt a small baby quilt and basically had every single problem you can have. Broken needles, broken thread, knots where they shouldn't be. Quilting on a pieced quilt is different from a plain piece of fabric, I discovered. I am now discouraged but will continue to practice. My dear hubby has encouraged me to go buy a mid arm machine instead. The other thing I encountered was a space issue with using the full length of the poles. I had practiced on a shorter piece of fabric - what a difference with the added weight and length. Since I am so new to this I came to the realization that things don't always go as they should no matter how prepared you think you are. Yesterday was not a good day.

If you are in the market for a quilt frame, practice on pieced fabric as well as plain fabric - those seams make a difference in how things work. I am going to keep trying but the Mid arm machine, even at the high cost of them, is looking better and better.

Comment

Oh, for crying in a bucket, Pat!! Now I have to put at least five more quilts on my bucket list!

Seriously, these are so gorgeous I can't even begin to describe how much I love them.

Comment

Working...
                    X