A Fantastic Opportunity Lead to a Fantastic Quilt Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Fantastic Opportunity Lead to a Fantastic Quilt Idea

I am new here, but I thought I would share an opportunity that my oldest DD was given. She has taken Turkish for the past 5 years in school. She has been offered a chance to spend June studying in a Turkish immersion program in Istanbul. She applied for and was given several grants to cover the cost of the program. She is now working odd jobs to earn her spending money.

We were trying to come up with a way to keep these memories for her. We stumbled across an autograph quilt on one of my books. She is going to take a notebook with pieces of white fabric in it and fabric markers. She is going to have the other kids (from 120 other countries) sign the fabric.

She is also going to be going to the Grand Bazaar and is planning to pick up some pieces of fabric to bring home. We are then going to assemble the quilt. It should create interesting memories for years to come.
    Jenni :icon_wave: :icon_evil:

Re: A Fantastic Opportunity Lead to a Fantastic Quilt Idea

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. your daughter is going to have a wonderful time...an experience that will live on for the rest of her life. Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Wow! Sounds like a fantastic opportunity - and your idea is great! I am sure she will find some awesome fabric too!

Comment

What a grand experience she will have in Turkey...and to have the foresight to preserve memories from the experience is awesome. Make sure she picks up some fabric while there to add to the quilt. I absolutely love this idea! Can't wait to see the finished project at some future date!
        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

That sounds so cool! My sister visited Turkey several years ago and absolutely loved it! I would love to go there! Hope your daughter has a wonderful experience while she is there

Comment

Jenni,
            Welcome from Utah! What a great idea, I wish you both success and a lot of fun.
            sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Hi, and welcome aboard!

What a great opportunity for your daughter! And I love the signature quilt idea! Brilliant!
              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

That is a great idea. And lucky daughter. She will create memories that will last and then have a beautiful quilt to remember it by.

Comment

What an exciting opportunity... good luck to her... This is a great idea.. hope we get to see it when it comes to fruition!!
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

How wonderful!!!! I lived in Turkey for 3 years and absolutely LOVED it! What great memories she will have. Turkish fabric is fabulous. I had several silk blouses made for me, the cotton sheets...ahhhh...

I'm so excited for your DD and you!

Comment

Such a wonderful life experience for your daughter and I love the idea of the memory quilt. With both of you collaborating on the quilt together will bring years of memories for each of you...love those daughter/mother moments.

Comment

What a great opportunity for her. And that is a great idea to capture the memories.
                        Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

An amazing opportunity for your daughter and an amazing quilt to have as a keepsake! Love the idea!
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Hi and welcome from Kentucky! What a fantastic experience for your daughter!
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Wonderful idea! May I offer a tip based on an experience I had with a signature quilt? My mother taught a quilt class for a senior group. It's an organization sponsored by the local hospital geared to all area seniors and the quilt class set out to make a quilt with every member's signature to display in their activity room. Blocks were partly finished but not yet together when my mother had a stroke and was unable to continue with the class. Fast forward 4 or 5 years later when I signed up with this same organization to learn how to make a simple lap quilt. We went on to do a few other small projects. A year later the senior circle advisor asked that class if we could finish the quilt which was done. However, what we found was that while they had many signatures, members had signed anywhere on the piece of fabric provided, many writing all the way to the side or corner of the fabric. This, of course, meant part of the signature disappeared in the seam when pieced. My apologies for the long story to say that your daughter should be aware that most nonquilters would not think of required seam allowances when signing without a little instruction to be sure signature is centered how she'd like it. Good luck to her!

Comment

Working...
                              X