X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lilmouse
    replied
    Re: Do You Belong To?

Quilters Club of America and two informal quilting groups locally, cost is $1 per visit....inexpensive enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• starlover
    replied

I'm part of a group that meets once a week at the church. We work on donation quilts or our own. No fee, but we make items for a bazaar once a year to raise money for our donation quilts. We have a great time, lots of laughs and progress on our quilt days.
    I've never been part of a guild, so can't give any advice on those.

Leave a comment:

• Mpyles
    replied

Oh Ryan....I rolled!! Maybe at my next club meeting I will bring up that topic...could be interesting!! Thanks for the laugh!

Leave a comment:

• Mchelem
    replied

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
    Do you belong to any of the Quilting clubs, associations, societies, etc. I keep getting info in the mail to join. Membership can be pricey, $25 and up. If you belong to any, what benefits do they offer and is it worth the cost. I noticed that some offer a VIP discount for JoAnn's (10%). I am not sure that gives you anything since you usually can not combine discounts. Any opinions please, thanks
    10% will come off already low sales prices. It just can't be combined with coupons.

I'm an AQS and Quilters Club member.

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset
    replied

I belong to a quilt guild, dues are $25 per year. We have monthly meetings with guest speakers, bi annual quilt show, a stash room, library, Wednesday Open Sews, Saturday workshops or Open Sews, Community Outreach Programs, Workshops, Pillowcase Sew Ins and many small groups formed for particular interests like applique, art quilts - anyone is free to create a new small group at any time. I feel the quilt is worth it.

I haven't heard of guilds sending out invitations to join, could you be receiving the invitations from craft stores like AC Moore or Michaels?

Leave a comment:

• jsmetcalf
    replied

I belong to the Quilter's Club of America and the benefits are fairly good. When I joined they were having a special on their membership so I think I only paid 15.00. It gets you a subscription to Easy Quilts Magazine, free shipping from Keepsake Quilting, free access to QNNtv, various other discounts, coupons, or rebates, access to online issues of McCalls Quick Quilts, Quiltmaker, 10% discount at JoAnn's, free charm packs with every Connecting Thread order, and a DVD from Fons and Porter. As far as JoAnn's goes, I get the discount on top of any other coupons that I use. (Our JoAnn's allows you to use multiple coupons at the same time - not all do.) There are also 300 some-odd free patterns on the QCA website. I probably have not used the site as often as I could have (which is why i am debating about renewing), but I joined when I had just started quilting and found it beneficial at that time. I live in a rural area and have no friends that quilt so I use places like M* and QCA to help me learn. I did find a quilt guild about an hour north of me and plan to join up with them starting this month. I'm not necessarily advocating for the QCA, but if you can get a membership on sale, it might be worth it. You can pretty much get your money back in free shipping if you use Keepsake Quilting a couple of times. I buy my thread from Connecting Threads so I have built up a few extra charm packs thanks to their deal. I just wouldn't join anything that has a price tag attached to it if you won't use it.

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

I love being a member of a quilt guild. It is only $20 a year for 62 and older [$25 for younger] and we meet once a month in the evening. We also have a sit and sew once a month at a local church. There is an embroidery bee attached to the guild that also meets once a month. You do not have to belong to the club for either the bee or sit and sew. We also have a big quilting book lending library.
    The guild does things for its members like a bus to Chattanooga in the fall for the AQS show, they have bought a Accuquilt machine and they pay for teachers from time to time or at least a portion of the teachers fees. it is win, win, win for me.

Leave a comment:

• cyndiofthevortex
    replied

Ryan, you are too funny! I needed a good laugh tonight and you gave me a nice hearty one.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

I belong to the Ohio Star Quilters.....which is pretty much a club.... We pay $15 in dues per year. A couple of the girls call us a quilt, but really, we are not that formal....

We are small.... No more than 25 women.... Some of us attend the same church, and many of us have been friends for a long time.

I'm very happy with this group, and I belong to two quilting forums..... That's enough for me...

Leave a comment:

• HandsomeRyan
    replied

I am not currently a member of any quilting organizations. I do belong to a blacksmiths guild so I can get a better price on coal for my forge. I think it is $25/yr.

I'll be interested to see how others answer though. A local quilt shop has a "male quilters" club but the membership is (I believe) $50/yr. I guess hanging out with other guys who quilt is a major draw to some but I don't see the appeal. I enjoy talking with others about quilting but I see no reason to limit it to just guys. I mean, are we going to sit around and discuss stuff that women just can't relate to like how great it is to pee standing up?

Leave a comment:

• Carolyn
    started a topic Do You Belong To?

Do You Belong To?

Do you belong to any of the Quilting clubs, associations, societies, etc. I keep getting info in the mail to join. Membership can be pricey, $25 and up. If you belong to any, what benefits do they offer and is it worth the cost. I noticed that some offer a VIP discount for JoAnn's (10%). I am not sure that gives you anything since you usually can not combine discounts. Any opinions please, thanks
Working...
X