Do You Belong To?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Belong To?

Do you belong to any of the Quilting clubs, associations, societies, etc. I keep getting info in the mail to join. Membership can be pricey, $25 and up. If you belong to any, what benefits do they offer and is it worth the cost. I noticed that some offer a VIP discount for JoAnn's (10%). I am not sure that gives you anything since you usually can not combine discounts. Any opinions please, thanks
    sigpic

Re: Do You Belong To?

I am not currently a member of any quilting organizations. I do belong to a blacksmiths guild so I can get a better price on coal for my forge. I think it is $25/yr.

I'll be interested to see how others answer though. A local quilt shop has a "male quilters" club but the membership is (I believe) $50/yr. I guess hanging out with other guys who quilt is a major draw to some but I don't see the appeal. I enjoy talking with others about quilting but I see no reason to limit it to just guys. I mean, are we going to sit around and discuss stuff that women just can't relate to like how great it is to pee standing up?
    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I belong to the Ohio Star Quilters.....which is pretty much a club.... We pay $15 in dues per year. A couple of the girls call us a quilt, but really, we are not that formal....

We are small.... No more than 25 women.... Some of us attend the same church, and many of us have been friends for a long time.

I'm very happy with this group, and I belong to two quilting forums..... That's enough for me...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Ryan, you are too funny! I needed a good laugh tonight and you gave me a nice hearty one.
        Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I love being a member of a quilt guild. It is only $20 a year for 62 and older [$25 for younger] and we meet once a month in the evening. We also have a sit and sew once a month at a local church. There is an embroidery bee attached to the guild that also meets once a month. You do not have to belong to the club for either the bee or sit and sew. We also have a big quilting book lending library.
          The guild does things for its members like a bus to Chattanooga in the fall for the AQS show, they have bought a Accuquilt machine and they pay for teachers from time to time or at least a portion of the teachers fees. it is win, win, win for me.

Comment

I belong to the Quilter's Club of America and the benefits are fairly good. When I joined they were having a special on their membership so I think I only paid 15.00. It gets you a subscription to Easy Quilts Magazine, free shipping from Keepsake Quilting, free access to QNNtv, various other discounts, coupons, or rebates, access to online issues of McCalls Quick Quilts, Quiltmaker, 10% discount at JoAnn's, free charm packs with every Connecting Thread order, and a DVD from Fons and Porter. As far as JoAnn's goes, I get the discount on top of any other coupons that I use. (Our JoAnn's allows you to use multiple coupons at the same time - not all do.) There are also 300 some-odd free patterns on the QCA website. I probably have not used the site as often as I could have (which is why i am debating about renewing), but I joined when I had just started quilting and found it beneficial at that time. I live in a rural area and have no friends that quilt so I use places like M* and QCA to help me learn. I did find a quilt guild about an hour north of me and plan to join up with them starting this month. I'm not necessarily advocating for the QCA, but if you can get a membership on sale, it might be worth it. You can pretty much get your money back in free shipping if you use Keepsake Quilting a couple of times. I buy my thread from Connecting Threads so I have built up a few extra charm packs thanks to their deal. I just wouldn't join anything that has a price tag attached to it if you won't use it.
            Judy

Comment

I belong to a quilt guild, dues are $25 per year. We have monthly meetings with guest speakers, bi annual quilt show, a stash room, library, Wednesday Open Sews, Saturday workshops or Open Sews, Community Outreach Programs, Workshops, Pillowcase Sew Ins and many small groups formed for particular interests like applique, art quilts - anyone is free to create a new small group at any time. I feel the quilt is worth it.

I haven't heard of guilds sending out invitations to join, could you be receiving the invitations from craft stores like AC Moore or Michaels?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
                Do you belong to any of the Quilting clubs, associations, societies, etc. I keep getting info in the mail to join. Membership can be pricey, $25 and up. If you belong to any, what benefits do they offer and is it worth the cost. I noticed that some offer a VIP discount for JoAnn's (10%). I am not sure that gives you anything since you usually can not combine discounts. Any opinions please, thanks
                10% will come off already low sales prices. It just can't be combined with coupons.

I'm an AQS and Quilters Club member.
                "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Oh Ryan....I rolled!! Maybe at my next club meeting I will bring up that topic...could be interesting!! Thanks for the laugh!
                  Mary
                  SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I'm part of a group that meets once a week at the church. We work on donation quilts or our own. No fee, but we make items for a bazaar once a year to raise money for our donation quilts. We have a great time, lots of laughs and progress on our quilt days.
                    I've never been part of a guild, so can't give any advice on those.

Comment

Quilters Club of America and two informal quilting groups locally, cost is $1 per visit....inexpensive enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X