Will this hurt my sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this hurt my sewing machine?

I have a gigantic rolling sewing tote that I can pack my machine and various accessories in to travel with. Unfortuantely, I have a small two-door car. It is difficult fitting it in the backseat and standing upright, it is too tall for my trunk. If the sewing machine is packed securely in the case (with velcro straps around it and various padding), would it hurt the machine if I turn the tote on its back and the machine is not sitting upright? Thank you.

Re: Will this hurt my sewing machine?

I've done that with mine - not a problem. I hook mine in with the seatbelt just to be sure.

Other comments?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I don't have a tote, but I had to laugh. I took a computer tower to a guys house and he laughed that I had the seat belt on it.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I sometimes use a regular suitcase to carry my embroidery machine and my large Viking since they will not fit in my rolling sewing machine tote. I have not had a problem with laying them on their backs in order to fit into the suitcase. If I am going to leave them in it for long I do set it down so the machine in upright inside. I put some padding inside to protect the embroidery arm that has to be taken off so it will all fit into the suitcase.

Comment

I buckle mine in the seat belt too! I'd hate to be hit in the head with it if I were in a wreck....the six pack of Pepsi that hit me was bad enough!!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by notsewfast View Post
            I have a gigantic rolling sewing tote that I can pack my machine and various accessories in to travel with. Unfortuantely, I have a small two-door car. It is difficult fitting it in the backseat and standing upright, it is too tall for my trunk. If the sewing machine is packed securely in the case (with velcro straps around it and various padding), would it hurt the machine if I turn the tote on its back and the machine is not sitting upright? Thank you.
            When I purchased my Janome my dealer carried it out(in the box) and the box was too tall to get it into my car so he laid it down on its side and put it in my trunk and told me it wouldn't hurt it.
            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I would not put the machine in the trunk of your car. My dealer loaded up a new machine, still in the box with packing, laid it in the trunk on its side. When I got home and unpacked it, the bobbin assembly was dislodged..........had to go back to get it fixed.

Another time, I strapped my Singer upright in the trunk. Everything was fine until I went to use the machine again and found the bobbin winder must have been banged, so it no longer worked.

Now, if I have to take a machine anywhere, I put it in a smaller carrying case, strap it in the back seat, sitting upright with the seat belt around it and treat it like my baby.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. It's hard to get it into my back seat, but it sounds like it is safer there than in the trunk. (Thanks for sharing your experience, Sharyn J.) I will also make it wear a seat belt and promise to be a good girl while we travel.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  I buckle mine in the seat belt too! I'd hate to be hit in the head with it if I were in a wreck....the six pack of Pepsi that hit me was bad enough!!
                  Pat, at least it wasn't a can of Pillsbury biscuits on a hot day . . . .

Biscuits for Brains - An Urban Legend
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
                  X