Batik Fabric Wax Residue Problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batik Fabric Wax Residue Problem??

Maybe I have just been lucky, but before today I have never had any Batiks that had visible or touchable excess wax residue on them. (at least I THINK that is what I am seeing and feeling on my new Batik fabrics) I ordered a variety of batiks from the Moda Xanadu Batik fabric line on a very reputable fabric site. As much as I love to touch and feel new fabrics, I immediately noticed a problem with these new cuts of batiks. Some much worse than others, but have found a bumpy, crumbly yellow residue in multiple places on several of them.

They cannot be used without pre-washing...that is for sure! Is a regular wash with warm water and mild soap adequate to remove the waxy residue or do I need to use a different process? Any suggestions appreciated!

Here are a few pics of the "substance" on the fabric:
    MODA XANADU BATIK MIDNIGHT BLUE BAPTISTA.JPGMODA XANADU BATIK MIDNIGHT BLUE BAPTISTA 3.jpgMODA XANADU BATIK MIDNIGHT BLUE BAPTISTA 2.jpg
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: Batik Fabric Wax Residue Problem??

My be brown paper and a iron will lift this out x
    love and hugs Edwina .x

Comment

It could be wax or it could be some of the salt they use. A warm iron and paper towels or newspaper can be used to see if you can draw some of it off (if it's wax.) I would try that before I washed it.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I don't know that washing would get the wax off. I'm with Edwina.
        My friends call me Peggy
        The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Can you scrape some of it off before you try the heat. I saw if you used ice that that would make wax easy to scrape. Like do it in steps.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I've never seen this before either. Does it feel like wax? Or does it feel like salt? That might help you decide which treatment will work.
            Beautiful prints BTW.
            May the road rise up to meet you...
            May the wind be always at your back...
            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I've had a few batiks that had some very small flecks of a waxy substance that I could scrape away with my fingernail. I've never had as much residue as you have. I'd be tempted to return the fabric and see if the replacements have as much on them. Hopefully the suggestions above will help - good luck.
              Dawn
              A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

My thought is that I'd rather use a warm iron and an old cotton t-shirt (I keep all my DH's for rags and this sort of thing) to get this off. It will absorb better and you'll be able to see if the ink is coming off. If it is a problem at all I'd send it back.

Comment

Maybe contact the place of purchase and see if they can advise you at to what it maybe, then take the appropriate action/ maybe even replace the fabric.

Comment

I know they're called batiks but i thought, these days, they were printed on. Batiking as a process takes ages and I don't think it would be viable to produce commercial fabric in the old fashioned way. I could be wrong though!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheena View Post
                      I know they're called batiks but i thought, these days, they were printed on. Batiking as a process takes ages and I don't think it would be viable to produce commercial fabric in the old fashioned way. I could be wrong though!
                      Oh yes, they are made in the traditional way. Amazing process, I'll see if I can locate the video that someone shared a while back about how they are made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsD5sQOF_A
                      Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 1, 2014, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I bought some wax to use it to make some batik fabric with my hand dyeing. I have not tried it yet. To remove the wax, you boil the fabric repeatedly until it comes off. The manufacture should have done this. I am not suggesting you boil your fabric, but just wanted to say that is how they remove it. Good luck! I've never had to deal with this.
                        Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I had to watch the video again, it is amazing to see the hand made process, and how the processing facility is set up. My knees hurt from watching all those folks who have to squat to do their job! I know Tonga Treats has a disclaimer on their precuts saying they are hand cut by local workers and may not have the uniformity of machine cut precuts.

Comment

THANKS to everyone for all the helpful suggestions and tips! I do believe the substance was wax. I could scratch it off to some degree with my fingernail but there was so much it just smeared up the fabric. The pics I posted were of the one fabric that was the worst. The others had scattered small areas of wax that still needed to be removed. According to Moda these are real Batiks made by hand in Indonesia, so I knew they went through multiple dye/wax processes. I agree with Jean, it is an amazing ages old highly skilled process! I am very grateful we are able to still get this type of unique fabric art for our quilting projects.

I found a Batik Gems digital book which indicated it was not uncommon to find small pieces of excess wax on batiks. They had photos showing the same type of yellow residue as mine but not nearly as much as mine. The book said the wax would come out in the wash and recommended against ironing because the absorbed wax might "discolor" the fabric. SO...I washed and dried all the fabric in warm water with mild soap. The good news is there was very little bleeding of the dye from the fabrics, but the wax was not removed by washing.

So I then pressed the fabric with a medium hot iron and used regular kitchen parchment paper as a pressing cloth. This seemed to work great. The wax just melted away, some into the parchment and some into the fabric but I did not see any discoloration. I pressed and folded all the fabric, wrapping them on comic book boards for storage. Guess I learned something new about Batiks!

Thanks again for all the good advice...you ladies here knew what worked!

Now to decide what projects to use these batiks on!
                            BATIKS WASHED AND PRESSED - MED.jpg

P.S. Jean that video is truly AMAZING! Such skill, time and effort put into every bolt of batik fabric!
                            Last edited by Sewbee; March 1, 2014, 12:05 PM.
                            Linda
                            -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

WOW! Makes ya want to go out and buy some batik (as if an excuse is needed). Thanks, OP, for providing the video I'm off to view it now. Don't ya just love fabric?

Cheers,

Lyric

eta: Oh em gee, how fun, the batiking process. I would love to do this. Imagine, preparing your own fabric then making garments from the fruits of your labor. I'd love it. ;-)
                              Last edited by lyric; March 13, 2014, 09:34 AM. Reason: Saw the video; had to comment.
                              sigpic

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X