IYO what cotton thread is best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IYO what cotton thread is best?

Which brand of cotton thread is best & has the least lint, shedding, or what ever it's called. I bought a Janome 8900, (my birthday present from dh) which I love so far. I have been using King Tut 40 on the small quilt top I just finished.
    Also what thread do you recommend for the FMQ. I have finished the top of the alter ego quilt and would like to try FMQ on it.
    Peggy:icon_hug:

Re: IYO what cotton thread is best?

Everyone has their own favorites and what works best for their machine. I like to use Aurifil cotton for piecing. For FMQ I use Isacord and Superior polyester.

Congrats on your Janome 8900
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I use what My Machine(s) love... yes, they have their favorites and Aurifil seems to be the go to for them. Check with the manual or dealer to see what your New Baby likes.. Just a suggestion.
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

I have always used Connecting Threads cotton thread for piecing. Aurifil is also nice and it has a little less lint that CT. Aurifil is very expensive and this is a major drawback for many quilters.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Aurifil and Sew Fine or King Tut from Superior are the only three kinds I use. I've never heard of Isacord but will check it out.
          Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

My Janome loves Connecting threads. But I haven't tried much else except a Sulky 100% cotton which is like wire- not soft at all but it was the color I needed at the time. Congrats on your new Janome - they are great machines!

Comment

Mine love Aurifil in the upper and Superior Bottomline in the bobbin.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I like Aurifil for piecing and quilting. But, as others mentioned, it does get expensive. So with the last quilts I made for the kids, I pieced with Aurifil and quilted with CT. CT is much thicker and stiffer, but I was only doing straight line quilting.

Comment

I forgot to add .....what weight do you use for piecing and what weight for FMQ on a domestic machine?
                  Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

I use Aurifil 50wt for piecing and love it and it hardly shedds. I hand quilt so I can't tell you what to use for FMQ. I am getting ready to try SITD and would like to know myself.

Comment

I really like Aurifil 50 wt. Much less lint than Connection Threads. But the price is pretty high so I only have Aurifil in two colors (black and cream). I bought the big cones so I won't have buy any for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                        Which brand of cotton thread is best & has the least lint, shedding, or what ever it's called. Also what thread do you recommend for the FMQ. I have finished the top of the alter ego quilt and would like to try FMQ on it.
                        I am a beginner FMQ. As a beginner I am still working to coordinate my hand movements, which results in a lot of stress on the thread. At first I had problems with the cotton thread breaking. After four months of practice I got better and the cotton thread rarely breaks.

Just this week I experimented for the first time with using a very thin polyester thread. I am using Connecting Threads Essential Pro Polyester Cone thread. It is a very fine #70/3, which means it is even thinner than Superior So Fine polyester thread. Polyester Cone Quilting Thread from ConnectingThreads.com. I love this stuff

It doesn't break, I can do very dense quilting, and it adds a wonderful texture. (It is stiffer than cotton thread when densely quilted, before washing anyway.)
                        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I use the cotton thread from Connecting Threads and have just recently started using Aurafil. I like them both.
                          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                            I forgot to add .....what weight do you use for piecing and what weight for FMQ on a domestic machine?
                            There is no industry standard for thread weights, so they are not all the same between brands.

I have tried a few different thread brands for piecing, and I have found that cotton is more linty than polyester. My modern machines are not thread picky at all, will sew no matter what I put in them, but my vintage machines do not like the thinner cottons. It is not as strong as poly and definitely produces lint.

My favorite for FMQ is silk #100, but it is expensive. Isacord embroidery thread is my next closest favorite.
                            Cathryn

Comment

My favorite cotton thread is Aurifil. Red Rock Threads has all the colors and weights. However, if you want even less lint, I recommend Superior So Fine polyester thread. I was prejudiced against polyester until I used the So Fine. It works wonderfully. Even less lint! Red Rock Threads sells it also. Unfortunately I ordered the color card for the Aurifil before I found out I liked the So Fine better!

sigpic
                              Marci

Comment

Working...
                              X