Sewing machine overload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing machine overload!

I have been doing too much ebaying and craigslisting--have ended up with 2 machines that are similar and am not sure if I should keep both: I got a Janome 1600P-DB for an amazing price, but had to spend $200 to get it fixed and running-has basic straight stitch and speed control, no needle threader or auto cutter. I also just purchased a "new" Brother Nouvelle 1500S- with lots of accessories and it has an auto thread cutter, feed dog drops and it has an extension table.

I have done a little FMQ on both and am having trouble with the Brother. Both run smoothly--but I am wondering if the Brother is indeed truly "new"--it was an open box and supposedly had been serviced/tested. I am also finding that the bobbin and bobbin case seem to have a little issue--and when using the auto-thread cutter sometimes the thread is cut super short and needle comes unthreaded. It may be operator error??????

I am in middle of quilting a T-shirt quilt on the Janome--and even with the larger throat area it is not an easy task.

I cannot decide if I should keep both, or just one and which will serve me better in the long run. It's my first experience with both brands.

Any recommendations will be helpful. I can still return the Brother machine-so need to decide soon.

Thanks!

Lisa

Re: Sewing machine overload!

The Janome 1600 has been on my wish list for a long time. Don't know anything about the Brother machine. And I own a ton of machines, but want a dedicated FMQ MACHINE.

Comment

I can't help out about which machine to keep but thread cutter and auto needle threader aren't high on my list of things a machine has to have. I keep my little scissor nearby to clip threads and the auto needle threader always gets off track so I thread needles. I use a metallic needle as it has a bigger eye and makes threading easy. Good Luck!

Comment

The Janome 1600 DB uses round shank needles doesn't it? I use those in my longarm. I use 18s on my longarm. You may hve to order those needles online, because they aren't usually carried in regular stores that sell regular machine supplies. I love the Groz-Beckert brand.

https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9...s_groz_beckert

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          The Janome 1600 DB uses round shank needles doesn't it? I use those in my longarm. I use 18s on my longarm. You may hve to order those needles online, because they aren't usually carried in regular stores that sell regular machine supplies. I love the Groz-Beckert brand.

https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9...s_groz_beckert
          I am no needle expert - but the needles for my long arm would severely damage a regular sewing machine - don't your long arm needles have a scarf on the backside, Jean? Just curious here -
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
            I am no needle expert - but the needles for my long arm would severely damage a regular sewing machine - don't your long arm needles have a scarf on the backside, Jean? Just curious here -
            You couldn't put a longarm needle in a domestic machine because the longarm needles have a round shank on top. Just the same, you couldn't put a domestic flat shank needle in one that takes a round shank.

I know one of those Janome 1600 machine takes the round shank industrial needle. I was just making her aware of this in case she didn't already know about that. It may have been a DBX model, not the one she has.

Comment

I just checked the janome website and it says the Janome 1600DB and DBX take db needles which are round at the top. The Janome 1600P takes the H needle and it has a flat side.
              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Here's some information about the DB needles.

What Is a DB Sewing Machine Needle? | eHow

Comment

Yep to the H needle I think I use the 16... My Janome 60 was on my quilt frame,,, then I changed to a Bailey... I now use the Janome 1600 for piecing,,, and for me that's mostly "strip" piecing... I LOVE to sew fast and this baby fits the bill... I've had it over 5yrs.. and never a problem...just a workhorse...

as for the FMQ.. it was fabulous on the quilt frame.. I thought getting 17" of throat space would be a dream come true, but truth be told.. I was pretty happy with the 1600 and after one learns a bit,, cranking the quilt more often is a small price to pay for the difference... MY plan is to keep this Bailey for a few years.. and then maybe someday upgrade to something "more automatic"... I've figured out that I'm fairly happy, just doing loop d loop and free hand stuff,, I don't profess perfection and it's not my style... so I'm just having fun, quilting for charity!!!!
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Lisa, if you need round shank needles and can't find them locally or online, I can send you a pack. I buy them by 100s as you are advised to change your needle with each quilt you start. The package of 10 is about $7. I have a pretty good stock of them as I havn't done 100 quilts yet!

Comment

Originally posted by bellasnanny247 View Post
                      I have been doing too much ebaying and craigslisting--have ended up with 2 machines that are similar and am not sure if I should keep both: I got a Janome 1600P-DB for an amazing price, but had to spend $200 to get it fixed and running-has basic straight stitch and speed control, no needle threader or auto cutter. I also just purchased a "new" Brother Nouvelle 1500S- with lots of accessories and it has an auto thread cutter, feed dog drops and it has an extension table.

I have done a little FMQ on both and am having trouble with the Brother. Both run smoothly--but I am wondering if the Brother is indeed truly "new"--it was an open box and supposedly had been serviced/tested. I am also finding that the bobbin and bobbin case seem to have a little issue--and when using the auto-thread cutter sometimes the thread is cut super short and needle comes unthreaded. It may be operator error??????

I am in middle of quilting a T-shirt quilt on the Janome--and even with the larger throat area it is not an easy task.

I cannot decide if I should keep both, or just one and which will serve me better in the long run. It's my first experience with both brands.

Any recommendations will be helpful. I can still return the Brother machine-so need to decide soon.

Thanks!
                      I have the Brother 1500 which I love, but I don't have this issue. I have read about it on forums before though. I believe one of the suggestions was to only put your thread through one or two of the holes on that metal piece at the top when threading....sorry, don't know they name of the piece, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about Also, I read to make sure to wait a few seconds after you stop sewing before hitting the cut button to kind of allow the tension on the thread to relax so it doesn't pop out of the needle when cutting. Hope that makes sense, and helps your issue. If it still doesn't seem to work right, I guess I would probably return it especially if you are still in the return period!
                      Lori

Comment

A machine with problems from the get-go would be a red flag for me. I'd return the Brother.
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone! I did research and make sure about the correct needles for the Janome-I ordered them from a place in Georgia-it took a while to get them since they marked them as shipped and even provided a tracking number-yet did not even have them in stock! I may avoid dealing with them in the future.

I will try to play around on the Brother a little more this weekend. I am going in a million directions right now-my son and his family are coming next Wednesday for a week long visit before they head overseas next month. I have not seen them since July 2012 and it will be the first time I see my newest grandson since he was born last June. I do need to make a decision on the Brother since I only have a 14 day window to return it.

I have gotten spoiled with horizontal top loading bobbins-both the Janome and Brother have the vertical case under the feed dog and it's difficult to manipulate with my arthritic hands--uuugghh!

There are just too many choices for machines-makes it hard to select since they are pricey and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Lisa

Comment

Where is the bobbin on the Janome? Drop in or vertical? A lot of times vertical bobbins will have problems with auto thread cutters.
                            Pfaff embroidery machines - 2100 series are notorious. I have a 2170. I've seen complaints about the occasional Bernina. My 1500 will do it. They tend to cut the top thread too short. Since I learned on machines with no cutter, I don't normally use it.
                            BTW, isn't there a manual thread cutter on the back of the head like all machines? Use that one.

Comment

Working...
                            X