STRANGE PRICING QUESTION!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STRANGE PRICING QUESTION!

I have a lady that I bowl with who wants me to make her a quilted (flannel batting thin) table cloth with built in table runner for a 7' x 11' table. The runner will be a somewhat intricate block on one side and another type block on the other side. The table quilt (that is what I'm calling it) will have to be done in three pieces, left, right, runner, with each piece quilted separately and then sewn together and bound when finished.

My question is, how in the world should I price something like this. I am completely lost on this one.

PLEASE HELP!!!
    "Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in springtime." Martin Luther (founder of the Lutheran Church)

Re: STRANGE PRICING QUESTION!

Make it a big number! It sounds complicated!

Comment

Cost of all the 'ingredients' x 2 (minimum) + a little extra for your time if its really complicated?
      Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

I price by the hour. They furnish the supplies. I keep an accurate journal of my time. I don't mind a good barter, but the rest is expected in cash. LOL

Comment

Thanks for this I never know what to charge people and I am afraid if I charge to much they won't place the order, lol I always make sure I get my fabric money plus extra for my time but I never thought of times 2 that's perfect
          Originally posted by Poppytree View Post
          Cost of all the 'ingredients' x 2 (minimum) + a little extra for your time if its really complicated?
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I would give her a price that I know she couldn't afford, cuz there ain't no way I'm doing that crazy thing. JS
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I don't mind because the only "piecing" is the runner part it is just the SIZE. I mean I'm think it could be good money if she does it. I thought about printing out some king size quilt prices to show her too when I give her my "estimate".
              "Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in springtime." Martin Luther (founder of the Lutheran Church)

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonda D. Matzker View Post
                I don't mind because the only "piecing" is the runner part it is just the SIZE. I mean I'm think it could be good money if she does it. I thought about printing out some king size quilt prices to show her too when I give her my "estimate".
                Show her the price of fabric and how much fabric is needed to make it then about how many hours to make it.
                Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                  I would give her a price that I know she couldn't afford, cuz there ain't no way I'm doing that crazy thing. JS
                  Amen to that, Marilyn....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

When I did tole painting, I'd charge 3x and sometimes 4x the cost and that still didn't stop people from ordering what they really wanted! It was hard to price things because I cut my own wood from pine boards which really were not that expensive to buy and you could cut several things from one board.

When I made all the Bow Tucks bags, I tripled the cost of them and the people who ordered and bought them told me I still had not charged enough! Guess you can't win for losing!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I would show her finished quilts for sale online so she can get over the sticker shock before you make any purchases that will not live happily with your current collection, aka fabric stash.

Comment

I told her that I wouldn't purchase any material for the project until she agreed and paid a deposit on it because that was a big expense. So at least I won't end up with a big bunch of material I won't know what to do with later and have to listen to my hubby complain about buying it.

Comment

Here is a little "cut & paste" item for pricing your work.. It's a place to start and will give YOU an idea of what to charge.

pricing guide.jpg
                          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                          :icon_wave:

Comment

I just read a long article about this and the gist was that if you add up the total cost of your supplies, then multiply by 3, then that's what you should ask. Of course, if the project is very involved like hand applique, you'd adjust upwards. The point of the article was that a lot of quilters don't ask what their work is worth and that hurts us all in the long run. I wish I could remember where I read this to provide a link.
                            See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

thank you, I printed this out to tack up at my sewing table.

Comment

Working...
                              X