What I'm learning....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'm learning....

I have decided to try using pantographs. I ordered the laser for my frame and it was defective so I'm waiting to get it replaced, in the meantime, my DH took a laser off his gun and we put it on my frame. The reason we used that one is when I push the button, the laser stays on and that is a must, can't be holding a button and trying to trace a pattern.

So far I'm loving it. I printed some free patterns and taped them together and it's working for now. This is a nice one for practice because it has large open areas. I ordered a couple of pantographs that will fit my frame. Can't wait to get the laser replaced and the pantographs.

Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Re: What I'm learning....

Looks good. The laser sounds like something Bill would do to LOL. Wish I could get up the gumption to go down in the basement and work with my setup. By now I need to take the machine off and clean and oil it again.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Let's pretend that some of us (me in particular) has no clue what you are talking about. What is this pantograph that you speak of??? Hmmm.
      Hugs,
      Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
      Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
        Let's pretend that some of us (me in particular) has no clue what you are talking about. What is this pantograph that you speak of??? Hmmm.
        It's a ultra secret club of quilters that get together at night and only quilt in the dark. They use black lights and glow in the dark paint to identify themselves. They then break out their lasers, which, when under the light of a harvest moon, will trace out a mysteriously powerful design that only that quilter may use for the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
          It is a quilting pattern that uses a laser on a mid or long arm machine. You put the pattern on the table side of the machine (or on the quilt) and point the laser at it and follow the lines.

I think you could also use these patterns on a regular machine...put an old needle in and sew through the paper, tracing the pattern. Then use a pounce pad to transfer the design and follow the lines with your machine.

Here's a video from you tube:

Following the pantograph - YouTube

They are also used in woodworking to follow a pattern.
          Last edited by buckeyequilter; February 27, 2014, 05:53 PM.
          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by verenaerin View Post
            It's a ultra secret club of quilters that get together at night and only quilt in the dark. They use black lights and glow in the dark paint to identify themselves. They then break out their lasers, which, when under the light of a harvest moon, will trace out a mysteriously powerful design that only that quilter may use for the rest of the year.
            ROFLMAO.. A pantograph is just a design that you follow with the laser. A flower, an animal, etc. nothing quite so sinister.
            Last edited by Doloris; February 27, 2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

You are all wrong!

Comment

You are all wrong!
                Still ROFLMAO. DH will be in here soon to see what is wrong with me.

Comment

LOLOL......
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                  Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

You are too funny! LOL!

Comment

I laughed so hard at this that dh was looking at me funny - so I read him the relevant posts, he is still looking at me funny. I am still chuckling!
                      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I had to explain to my DH why in the world I was sitting here chuckling away. I love this forum.

Comment

Careful, Shirley...we've already been 'Raided' Once this week......

If I had a long arm, I'd be up for giving the laser thing a burl!!
                          HUGS,
                          Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

Funny thing - I use a laser sight made for an air gun. It was under $20 at the local sporting goods store, and I have it attached in a piece if PVC so that I can pivot it to line up rows. I'm not sure I'll want to spring for a "real" one unless this one breaks?

Comment

Looks really good Shirley!
                              ~Kathy~

Comment

Working...
                              X