Grrrr! I finally gave up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grrrr! I finally gave up.

The blocks I'm working on usually take me 30 minutes to cut, reposition, sew back together and press. I knew I was tired but thought I would crank out a few blocks before calling it a night. WRONG! I got one block done without problem. Then my bobbin ran out, I didn't have any more loaded. I thought I did. So I stopped and wound half a dozen bobbins. Then I ran out of thread and had to pull out a new spool. Then my machine jammed and I had to fiddle with it. Then I didn't arrange my blocks correct and had to rip out three seams. Then I put it back together and noticed when I went to set my seam that I hadn't sewn a straight seam and it was off almost double in the middle, so I ripped that out again and resewed it being careful to follow my guide and make sure I had the quarter inch seam. I pressed the block and turned the machine off. I figured I'm too tired to be working on it anyway.

Tomorrow will be another day! I'll crank a few out tomorrow. I don't have anything scheduled out of the house.

Thanks in advance for letting me blow some steam, it's nice to be able to post here where people understand and have been there also.

Re: Grrrr! I finally gave up.

Oh Bob,
    I hear you!!! I have tried pushing myself to get a little more sewing done when I have been tired....it has never ended well.
    I now never sew when I get tired.
    But, as you say...tomorrow is another day.
    Onward and upward.
    HUGS,
    Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

Yep..........that is a big quilting rule that we all learn the hard way!

Never quilt, cut or sew when you are tired!
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Been there....it is comforting that I am not the only one that this happens too....so sorry it had to be you though. Things will be better tomorrow!
        :D:DTyne:D:D

Comment

I hear you too, Bob.

I doesn't the day trying to do put my first Falling Charms quilt top together.... I had the blocks in order on the design wall, snd began.... Well, wouldn't you know it, but those rotten little quilting gremlins were out in force.... Every time I went to sew the. Rows together...2x2 down.... They somehow got out of order.... After hours of ripping out seams, and trying to get everything just right, I finally called it a day, around midnight... I should know better than to try to quilt at night, or when I'm tired....oh, did I mention that
          I was using a Bernstein Bear charm pack, and that several of the charms were directional.... THAT won 't happen again...for sure.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.... We can try again...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I hear your frustration, I've had days like that where time in my sewing room accomplished very little. I usually walk away and say tomorrow will be a better day.
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Been there Bob. You'll feel better in the morning after some coffee.

Comment

Glad I ain't the only one with these issues. Get some rest and tackle it in the morning. You'll wonder why all the fuss the night before. Amazing how fast so many things go wrong when we are tired. Fresh day and a fresh outlook will do wonders
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

Bob, do you have the 1/4" foot with a guide? I bought one from amazon and it helped me tremendously with my seams almost immediately. Well worth the few dollars. Now my seams are great (most of the time).
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                  Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Been there, done that, would think I would learn, but, no! Today you'll be nice and rested and the bobbins are wound; can't get much better than that!
                    Judy :icon_wave:
                    Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Comment

Been there, done that.....to many times to count. Lol

Comment

During my lunch hour yesterday I sat down at my machine to work on a binding. I was having trouble with the corners. Finally got that corner finished so I continued sewing the next side and almost got to the next corner and my dd called me all upset over a problem which in turn got me aggravated. To say the least, I turned off my machine and left the quilt where it was still being held by the presser foot! I knew I would mess it up if I tried to continue.
                        Sharon

Comment

Welcome to the real quilting world, Bob! This happens to me all the time, too. It's best not to sew when you're tired and/or frustrated.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

You're in good company here Bob. I know better than to sew when tired, but I still do it...just one more seam...and another...then another! Then rip-it, rip-it!
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I feel your pain Bob. Take up dressmaking , less stress lol. I've unpicked more seams the last week than I ever have in my life, ha ah.
                              I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                              Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                              X