Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help finishing the wedding quilt.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finishing the wedding quilt.....

It is due April 4 and I have to ship it up to northern california!

I have written all about it in my blog with pictures. If you have time....could you take a look and give me some suggestions? I am rather stuck on what to do next. I need it to be twin size of 60x80 and now it is 36x55 and I am not sure how to make it larger without making it to dark!

Fabric And Memories: Need Help to Finish this Wedding Quilt

I don't know how to make the link clickable so copy and paste is the only way I know to get the link to you!

Thanks for any comments!
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Need help finishing the wedding quilt.....

I would add a wide white border followed by the same shade of green to get it to the size you need.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

I think I would add more blocks. To add that much length and width with just borders will overwhelm the blocks. Unless you want to make a pieced border, it will be too heavy of a border to make it all one color.

Is the wedding day April 4? That day will be the 50th anniversary of my wedding! My husband passed away 8 years ago, so there will be no celebration, but it will be a special day in my heart!

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
        It is due April 4 and I have to ship it up to northern california!

I have written all about it in my blog with pictures. If you have time....could you take a look and give me some suggestions? I am rather stuck on what to do next. I need it to be twin size of 60x80 and now it is 36x55 and I am not sure how to make it larger without making it to dark!

Fabric And Memories: Need Help to Finish this Wedding Quilt

I don't know how to make the link clickable so copy and paste is the only way I know to get the link to you!

Thanks for any comments!
        I would add more blocks. Adding sashing won't work because they form blocks in the middle. Adding more borders on a quilt this small to make it that big will look odd. Adding more blocks is the only way I can think of and still have it come out right.

If it's 36 now and you need it to be 60, that is almost as much border as quilt. I wouldn't like that. You could add a solid border and then a border of smaller blocks and then another border... but that would be a lot of work. the easiest would be to make more blocks and then border after.

Comment

I'm with Jean and I would make 6 more blocks and then add borders.
          Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I am currently making a quilt for an April 5th wedding in California. Stephen is the son of one od my best friends and he and my daughter grew up sort of together since they live in Jersey and we have been in Florida since the kids were 7 years old. My daughter is going to the wedding so she can take the quilt We have never met Kaitlyn and I am really sad that I will miss the wedding but sometimes life gets in the way. I am really happy my daughter can go. And she will be able to spend a little time in wine country as well

I love your quilt. Perfect for a wedding gift and the colors are beautiful. I know it makes that secondary square but I was thinking add more squares but set them on point. I surely do agree to add the extra blocks. You will be ok with the quilting. I did an almost queen size on my small Babylock. You could just do swirls and loops all over. I would match the thread for the back and maybe use the maroon on the front. I like my quilting to show some even though its not perfect at all

This quilt will be amazing -cant wait to see the end result. They will treasure it

Jean - 50 years, i know he is not here to celebrate but to have had over 40 is such a blessing as well. So few people these days can say that. Make that day very special for yourself
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I wouldn't sash it either, I like the secondary block the corners make. I would also make 6 more blocks. Too many borders or a very wide border would take away from the super blocks you made. Good work!

Comment

I would add another row of blocks each way then see how much you need to make up and do that with sashing and or borders. I feel if you just put wide borders around it and sashing you will loses the blocks in them. Just my opinion.
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

Well it seems to be unanimous! Add 6 more blocks. Have to admit I was hoping for another solution as I am tired of making that same block! Oh well...have to do it right no matter what! So I just cut the squares, and ran out of the beige and print so..to Joann's I go tomorrow with my coupons. That should be a good break to get started and with the rain coming in tomorrow...hope I can get there and back before it hits and then a nice afternoon of quilting! I also like the way the blocks make that star when the corners are joined so definately, no sashing. And while I wait, I have to start thinking of the back. and pick up what fabric I might need tomorrow too. Thanks everyone for your help. I will post finished picture soon as I get it done!
                  Cheri

Comment

Cheri WAIT!! I might be able to help. Have my pen in hand but need a lil info.

Does it have to be 60 x 80? Can it be 63 x 90?
                    How much more fabric do you have? (Yes I'd be buying some more of the light one anyway)
                    Were you adding any borders or just binding? (My favorite)

Will check back in a wee while...

Cheers, Pami

Comment

I would also leave out sashing and add 6 blocks to make it 3 blocks wide by 4 blocks long, then add borders.
                      *~* Myrna *~*
                      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I am so waiting to see what Pami comes up with.
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by pamipatch View Post
                          Cheri WAIT!! I might be able to help. Have my pen in hand but need a lil info.

Does it have to be 60 x 80? Can it be 63 x 90?
                          How much more fabric do you have? (Yes I'd be buying some more of the light one anyway)
                          Were you adding any borders or just binding? (My favorite)

Will check back in a wee while...

Cheers, Pami
                          Pami... Thanks for any help!
                          No not necessarily exactly 60x80. Just twin bed size and no bigger cause I can't do FMQ on larger size. But a few inches here and there... shouldn't be any problem. It could even go square and be used as a throw while watching TV.

I have lot of the solid and little of the blue, green. I will need more of the beige and if I do anything with the print, more of that. But I dont' think that should be a problem.. got it all at Joann's and they carry the same basic stuff...at least I hope this time they will. If they dont' have any more of the beige, because it has the sparkles in it... I have enough for 3 more blocks and then can't do anything else that would require the beige and same with the print....in that case if I just add the three more blocks to the existing 6 blocks...it will be square.

Haven't decided about borders and/or binding. Whatever looks good. I am thinking the border would kind of "end" the design instead of just binding that would, IMO, make it look unfinished. I would prefer borders and binding.
                          Cheri

Comment

I agree you need more blocks, then reassess the need for a border. Since your time is short, I wouldn't try the extra stuff on the backing. Just leave it plain, except for your label. Regarding FMQ, I think maroon thread on the front will be too dark. Go with white or beige to match the light color fabric in the quilt. The pattern & colors are very pretty. JCY

Comment

Stoopid phone!!! One of those days lol. Why would I think my crayons would be where I left them with lots of kids in the house?!? Lol

This is option 1, I have more, with a better idea of sizes and a ail able fabric I'll play with the other 2 a little more...

Hang on, lets see if this'll work...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X