I finally made a decision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally made a decision.

I got a divorce almost 4 years ago after being married for 22 years. We sold the house. It was a big house, about 4600 sq ft. We had enough furniture to furnish two places and still sold stuff. I moved into an apartment with the idea that I would live here for 3-6 months while looking for a house to buy and move there. I had never lived in an apartment, and it had been years since I had lived in a duplex.

I won the lottery (not really but it feels like it). There are 90 apartments in this complex and I have made friends with a group of people who have come to mean the world to me. We are a group of 9 neighbors, there is one married couple, the rest of us single, I'm one of two men and we range in age from 52 up to 83. I am the 52 year old. The 83 year old walks six miles a day and bought an adult tricycle this past summer to start riding the Katy Trail. We call ourselves the Senate Court Nit-Wits. We are crazy enough to do just about anything, but try to stay out of trouble. So I realized my rent is cheap ($375 a month for 2 BRs/1.5 baths) and I don't have to mow, shovel snow or fix anything and I have the worlds greatest neighbors.

Now to the decision I made, I have a guest room with an antique bedroom set (not a family heirloom) that I bought some years ago. I keep a guest room for my brother and his wife for when they come in from New York or other guest. I have a friend that has wanted the bedroom set for some time. I finally have agreed to sell it and I have purchased a daybed for the second bedroom. I can now move my sewing machine off the folding table in the living room and set up a quilting room that I don't have to take down and put back up if I have company. I can even have a design wall. I'm so excited. It will be nice to have a dedicated quilting space.

I hope I didn't bore anyone too much.

Re: I finally made a decision.

Bob, you'll love having a sewing room! Have fun setting it up.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

You will enjoy not having to constantly move you sewing machine. Now all you need is a design wall

Comment

Having a creative space is so handy....you have all your tools right at your fingertips! Enjoy!
        Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Way to go, Bob! I have moved out many things as the sewing and quilting stuff has accumulated! More will be going soon!

Comment

Sounds like you are part of a wonderful group of friends. Enjoy setting up your quilting space.
            sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Congratulations! I think you are living in the right place. Great neighbors for when you want company and a place to yourself when you need quiet time or quilting time.

When I realized my boys were not longer using the play room I took it over. Told DH when we remodel I need better lighting in there. It's now my play room!
              Vonnie

Comment

It is very exciting to have something great to look forward to. You have to post pictures of it when your done! Congrats on the lottery!
                Hugs,
                Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

When you first started your dissertation I got excited and was ready to move next door . . . (I may still check that out, hee-hee).

Love the idea that you are really going to own up to enjoying your hobby by dedicating space. Oh, and I love your signature line, too!!
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sounds like you have a great situation at a great price. You will love having a dedicated space for quilting that you can close the door on. Congrats!
                    My friends call me Peggy
                    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

You will love having your own sewing space!!
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Sounds good to me. A nice sewing room.....have fun quilting.
                        Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Sounds like you're in a pretty perfect place right now Bob. Enjoy your quilting space.
                          I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                          Lorraine

Comment

I'm really excited. The bedroom set gets picked up next Monday. I'm going to Florida for a few days, leaving Saturday (the person picking up the furniture is a good enough friend I gave them a key). I'll be home Thursday and Friday the daybed gets delivered. I'm looking at sewing tables. It will be nice to have the space set up all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                              When you first started your dissertation I got excited and was ready to move next door . . . (I may still check that out, hee-hee).

Love the idea that you are really going to own up to enjoying your hobby by dedicating space. Oh, and I love your signature line, too!!
                              Thanks, I had to work to get the picture of the kitty at the sewing machine to post. It was too big. The original was also animated, with the kitty feeding the material through the machine continuously. I couldn't get the animation to post, but I think it is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X