Honest to Pete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest to Pete!

I swear I have gremlins in my sewing room!

I'm sewing my first Falling Charms quilt top.... Bernstein Bears (do NOT use directional fabric!)...,,

This is what happens.... I work hard to get everything just right.... Everything going in the right direction.... Take a row down to sew, and suddenly things are not the way I had them..... I 'm so careful not go mix the blocks up, but somehow.....it's those pesky gremlins, I know it.....blocks get our of whack, and it takes forever to set straight...

Something always happens on the shirt walk from the design will to the sewing machine....

I seem to have a similar problem with quilts where the position of each block is crucial.... It drives mr crazy.... When one block gets placed wrong, it affects other blocks.... Pretty soon, I am having to redo everything....and it still eon 'to be right.... Akkkkkkk.... I am so frustrated!

Of course dome blocks are now iodide down (pictures), so the direction of the framed dill be right...

Just when I think I have everything perfect....I see something test isn't right.... Sometimes I have to rio out seams.... Akkkkkkk

I knew this quilt would be a challenge when I resulted that dome charms had pictured on them, and that placement of the half frames had to be just so... But, no.... Did I change chatman oaks? Never even crossed my mind....

Akkkkkkkk!!!M!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: Honest to Pete!

I think the gremlins are in your iPad too, Sandy.

Sorry about the quilt problems.
    K is for Karen ๐Ÿ˜Šโ€‹..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I always enjoy your posts....it's like quilting as a second language!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I always take a picture of my blocks once they are laid out the way I like them. That way if I mess something up I can refer back to it and find the mistake. My iPad is full of pictures of my projects in various stages.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
          lol Pat

I feel so bad for you. I haven't tried this one yet so I have no advice how to make it work. Momgram and I talked about doing the Piece of Cake quilt (d9p) and skip the d9p part, make each block separately, if that make sense. Maybe that would work?

I should explain this better. She was making her Star Trek quilts and wanted them all facing the same way. It's impossible. So doing a block at a time was the solution.
          Last edited by Hulamoon; February 26, 2014, 04:22 PM.
          ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

Sandy,

I feel your pain. Those pesky gremlins have been here with me from time to time. The latest that I am aware of (sometimes they wreck havoc and hide it so it is found later) is on the Disappearing 4 I'm working on now. I had been so careful to make sure all my blocks had the same pattern as I put them back together, and I took some blocks to the quilt shop to pick a material for sashing and borders and the first block I laid out the pattern was reversed. I don't know how those pesky gremlins could do that from my home to the quilt shop. I wonder if Orkin treats for those pesky Quilt Gremlins. I had to "Unsew" which I have come to know in the terms of when my grandmother was sewing means ripping out seams.

Sincerely, Bob

Comment

I put letters and numbered beads onto quilting pins (the curved ones). Then I use those to mark rows or each block if necessary. I totaaly feel your pain. Have done it one too many times. Thats why I got the beads
              Karen
              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Here's what I do, works MOST of the time! I lay the second block on the first block, right sides together. I loosely pin where I will sew this seam. I then pin the edge where the third block will go. Then I pile up the rest of the blocks in order 4, 5,6,7 etc. once you have three sewn, you just follow the pattern, L,7 L,7 to the end of the row. If you don't mark the edge where the third block goes, you run the risk of sewing the row in reverse order, and it may or may not make a difference, more likely will make a difference and you'll be ripping!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  I know..... Sometimes my iPad simply changes words or letters, and I miss the it.... I should probably proofread more carefully!

I am famous for my iPadisms on The Baking Circle, which is King Arthur's forum.... Sometimes I just don 'to see them, as my vision isn't great.... But careful re-reading of each post might help...

Some are kinda funny....as this one was... Even I laughed out loud when I read it....

Thanks for the ideas.... I think I will start taking pictures

If I ever do this quilt gain, I will definitely make sure nine if the charms are directional.... Another think... My design wall is white, so the half frames born right in.... I can't even see them.... Next time, if I am using white, I might lay the blocks out on a bed... Maybe that will help...

Thanks, again....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I do the same thing Jean does. I pin the blocks right sides together all the way across then mark the rows with a row marker. It saves a lot of aggravation and frustration.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

I did a Jacob's Ladder, and posted a picture to ask everyone to take a look before I finalized it, as I was sure I screwed up somewhere. Several of you pointed out a twisted block. That was sooo helpful.
                      My friends call me Peggy
                      The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their childrenโ€™s children.

Comment

I take pictures with my digital camera and keep it close by as I sew. I have ripped my share of blocks from error. The camera has helped.
                        Also I have slips of papers with numbers that I pin to the top of the left first block for each row so I can keep the rows in order.

Comment

What I do, is sew the blocks together in verticals rows... I very carefully fold the second block over the first block... When they are all stacked, I put a pin on the side that gets sewed... If there are s lot of rows, I number them... I just don't know how things could go so wrong, so quickly...... Something happens between the design wall and my sewing machine... When I sew the blocks together....in order... Some are not placed correctly..

I'm definitely going to start taking pictures.... Maybe that will help... Maybe.... The Quilting Gremlins are pretty persistent...
                          Last edited by easyquilts; February 27, 2014, 12:39 AM.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                          X