What is a good iron for quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good iron for quilting?

Does anyone have a good iron they would reccommend for quilting. The last two irons, both rowenta brands, I have bought have cost over $100 and died in two years. I think an iron should last longer than that.
    Eat Dessert First. Life is Uncertain.

Re: What is a good iron for quilting?

Hi Irene, my most favorite iron I ever had, so far, was a Black and Decker. Unfortunately, I didn't know any better and was using my well water in it so it didn't last any longer than your Rowenta's. I now use purchased spring water only in my irons....lesson learned. I thought I wanted a Rowenta, but have heard several comments like yours, but also that they are the best, so I am unsure if I will get one when my current one quits on me.
    Right now I am using a Hamilton Beach and I can't say that I would recommend it. I wish I had spent a little more and gotten another B&D.
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I've been through 6 irons in the last 3 years. 3 fell off the ironing board and the plastic water well broke, 1 my son used and ironed over his tshirt design and it melted all over the iron, I couldnt get it clean, and the last 2 the new puppy chewed through the cords. (Good thing I unplug them!) I decided to keep buying the cheap ones until the puppy isnt a puppy any more. I think I'm going to start hitting garage sales and Good Will and hopefully find a nice iron like Jenny did...or at least an older model....I love the "vintage" look!
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I think the iron I have at home is a Black and Decker! It's great. Do any of the manufacturers still make the type of irons that don't have auto shut-off? I certainly understand the safety concern but they're a real inconvenience for quilters!
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

The Hamilton Beach one I have right now is auto shut-off, but it has a handy reset button towards the bottom of it that turns it right back on. The Sunbeam I had before this one had to be unplugged wait a bit and then plug back in to get it going again....very inconvenient. I don't know of any without the auto off, but will keep that in mind when I need to shop for a new iron, for sure.
          :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Working...
          X