Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measure twice, cut once. Well darn I still messed it up

IMG_-0468.jpg
    This is why I shouldn't start a new quilt late at night when I am not 100% sure of what I am doing. So cutting a block into thirds is apparently hard for me to grasp. sigh

Re: Measure twice, cut once. Well darn I still messed it up

Oops. I have had the same problem at times. Times that I should have gone to bed and didn't which meant redoing the work the next morning.

Comment

Looks good to me. A new pattern is born.

Comment

I have learned to never do anything that requires precision at night... I do the dumbest things... Sorry about your block..

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Whoops! Cutting these things seems to be the determining factor between success anf TOTAL FAILURE!

Comment

I heard Marianne Fons say once that that piece will go into another quilt.

Comment

This gave me a good laugh!
              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

You have now joined the club
                Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Paying attention helps.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_20471.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                    Paying attention helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69556[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69557[/ATTACH]
                    Yes! I love the white forming the churn dash!

Comment

Yea! I love that fabric too!
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I like the white churn dash as well. I love this pattern. Once I am done my big quilt, this will be next in line.

May I ask you a question? What is the measurements of your original pinwheel, and what did you use to 1/3 it? I saw on youtube that people were having issues with this pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by verenaerin View Post
                          I like the white churn dash as well. I love this pattern. Once I am done my big quilt, this will be next in line.

May I ask you a question? What is the measurements of your original pinwheel, and what did you use to 1/3 it? I saw on youtube that people were having issues with this pattern.
                          Here is the finished block-laid out the way Jenny does on her video. I really had to have the pieces right beside me and as well as the image of what I wanted. Even so, with the help of my cat, I somehow managed to sew one part wrong and had to rip it out.

I started with 10 square fabric and the final block was a bit bigger than 12 inches. So I trimmed off equal amounts on all 4 sides so it was a 12 inch block. That really helped in terms of cutting it in thirds. I was thinking if I didn't trim it down, I would make a paper template showing the cutting lines for thirds so I could get it right each time. But since my block could do with some straightening, I figure trimming it is the way to go.
                          IMG_20473.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                            Here is the finished block-laid out the way Jenny does on her video. I really had to have the pieces right beside me and as well as the image of what I wanted. Even so, with the help of my cat, I somehow managed to sew one part wrong and had to rip it out.

I started with 10 square fabric and the final block was a bit bigger than 12 inches. So I trimmed off equal amounts on all 4 sides so it was a 12 inch block. That really helped in terms of cutting it in thirds. I was thinking if I didn't trim it down, I would make a paper template showing the cutting lines for thirds so I could get it right each time. But since my block could do with some straightening, I figure trimming it is the way to go.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]69583[/ATTACH]

Thanks! I think I will do the same and trim it to 12" as well when I make this block. I appreciate your explanations.

Comment

Working...
                            X