Stirred up feelings about quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stirred up feelings about quilting

My guess is that there is more than one person on the forum who today is ready to defend the craft of quilting as we know it today. We use precut fabrics, we use sewing and quilting machines, and we finish our projects in a relatively short period of time. Some among us love to hand quilt, others of us use our wonderful machines to help us create. Since I am a machine quilter, and never will be a hand quilter, I get defensive when someone shames me and my kindred spirits because I create by using a machine.

We had a dyed in the wool hand quilter accuse us of not perpetuating the "craft" of quilting by using machines and precut fabrics. Many rose to defend the craft as we practice it. I was so mad at reading that, I couldn't compose a coherent and non-abusive reply. I've been thinking about it all day, though.

Here's my personal experience with hand quilting.

My aunt passed away two years ago. She was 93, and was the baby in my father's family. In cleaning out her things, my cousin found two quilts in the closets that our grandmother had made. No one knew they existed because they were so revered by my aunt that they weren't used. Now we know nothing of their history because the person who had them did not bring them to the light of day to show to her daughter. Too bad!

I shared the information about Jenny's program on FaceBook. One of my FB friends grew up near Hamilton, MO. She shared it with her friends. Several of them dissed the idea of quilting with large pieces of fabric, quilting by machine, and proclaimed that the masterpieces stored away in their closets (too fragile and precious to bring out to use or show) were superior to what Jenny was doing today. That ruffled my feathers again! But I don't know these people, and they will never see this, so what do I care about their opinions.

We had this discussion on the forum within the past year. What part of quilting makes you a quilter? Piecing? Actual quilting? Are you a quilter if you piece and don't do the actual quilting? Are you a quilter if the robot on your quilting machine does the design work for you and all you do is program it? I wrestle with that idea as I am considering taking that step into automated quilting.

If you watch Jenny's tutorials, she has several quilts in the shop that are heirloom quality quilts that someone gave her. She displays them, but knows they are fragile since they are almost 100 years old. She has figured out how to recreate the one pattern so the new heirloom builders (the current quilters who follow her) can recreate what was done years ago. Because today's world is different, and many women have deeper responsibilities outside their homes to work and put food on the table, we need to have an easier and less time consuming way to create our heirlooms. Hooray for Jenny Doan, who makes the old traditions doable for the women and men of today!

We love our family of MSQC, hooray for their success, and they know that we are there for them as loyal customers and friends.

Re: Stirred up feelings about quilting

Well said, Jean.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Holy Potatoes, what a on time post. I hand quilt because i suck at machine quilting and respect those who do what ever it is to make an awesome quilt. I am about to teach my sons girlfriend how to make a quilt. I will tell her that what ever she finds that works for her or she loves more, TO DO IT. When you find that expert ribbon winning knows everything about quilts, i will congratuate her, but still do it my way, because it is my quilt, mistakes and all. I love you because of your passion for quilting.
      I love all of you because i have learned so much about quilters and i find that for the whole we are some pretty good people.

Those who teach us, recognize that some things work better for some people and some dont and I am glad that we dont have hard set rules or i would quit quilting. Love and Peace
      I LOVE JESUS

Comment

If I had to make quilts the old way, there would not be any quilts done and I would not have my creative outlet.

I live with cronic pain and am not able to do the whole process by hand.

I am just so glad that Jenny and all the gang is out here for the world to enjoy.
        They bring so much joy and happiness and feeling of, Hey I can do this!!
        That is important.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
        A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
        And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I GUESS i MISSED WHAT UPSET YOU. I LOVE ALL THE HELP I HAVE GOTTEN FROM JENNY. BUT I LEARNED TO QUILT FROM MY GRANDMOTHER ON A SINGER TREDDLE MACHINE. SHE HAD 8 KIDS AND SAID SHE DID NOT HAVE TIME TO DO ANYTHING BY HAND. SO SHE TIED THE QUILTS WE SEWED UP ON THAT FIRST SEWING MACHINE. THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. I SEW EVERYTHING ON A MACHINE EVEN MY BINDING. I WAS NOT TAUGHT TO STITCH THINGS BY HAND. MY MOM HAD 8 KIDS. I WAS ALWAYS BUSY HELPING. MY GRANDMA SHOWED ME HOW TO MAKE APRONS WHEN I WAS 7. BY AGE 10 I WAS MAKING SIMPLE DOLL CLOTHS AND BABYDOLL QUILTS... THERE HAS NEVER BEEN TIME TO SIT AND STITCH BY HAND. THE ONLY REASON IT WAS DONE BY HAND BEFORE WAS BECAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE SEWING MACHINES.....
          Have a Sewonderful Day,
          Mary T.

Comment

Oh, the shame of it. Not a traditional quilter? I walked to school when I first started - uphill both ways. Now kids catch a bus right outside their homes or Mommy schedules her work so she can drop the kids off at the front door of the school and pick them up at the end of their very shortened day - just so they can sit back and watch cartoons on the TV while she prepares dinner with the use of the microwave. For shame, for shame. Tell those people to give up all their modern conveniences and then come see you about whether or not the stitches were put into your quilt with the aid of a machine or a bone needle using hand grown hemp and twisting for thread . . .
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

This just goes to say that there are different strokes for different folks, and no one way is superior to another! We bear no SHAME for doing our craft as we do it! That's what frosted me, to shame us for what we are doing to quilting! Hey, if it weren't for us machine quilters, guess how many fabric stores would still be in business? Not very many!

And the last time I bought animal feed in a feed sack or flour in a flour sack was really a long time ago! We revere the old designs and seek to recreate them, but we do it in 21st century ways, and the art and craft are preserved and brought to the light of day again!

Comment

Several years ago I ran into a casual friend while fabric shopping. As we talked I mentioned I was making a quilt for a charity auction and the conversation moved to my goal of making a quilt for each of my children. She asked me how I would finish them and I said by machine. "OH NO you must learn to hand quilt" I told her I KNOW how to hand quilt, but I would rather machine quilt and give each child a quilt than hand quilt and maybe get 1 or 2 done.

Right now I am in the process of hand quilting a DWR for my DH. I'm down to the border, it's taking a long time(I have carpel tunnel in both hands and can't work too long/often) but It's a labor of love. If I had to do this for all my quilts I would be dead before I made a dent in them.
                IMO, if our grandmothers had the tools we have they would have embraced them
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Atta girl Jean!!

Makes me wonder why some get so hett up about declaring THEIR chosen method BEST!!!

It's all about the love of fabric, design and colour. It's all about having an outlet, a hobby an interest. It's all about both the process and the end result. And it's all about meeting new friends with a similar interest.

And I say similar for a good reason - more so its about PERSONAL TASTE AND ABILITY!!!
                  They go hand in hand, as you will gravitate to the skills you need to make the quilts you like.

I too had a blow up on Facebook the other day, traditional quilters laying the boot into modern quilters. As a teacher I know how to do the hardest of difficult techniques but rarely do, funnily enough the resulting blocks to me are yuck. Hand quilting has a definite persona but for the time poor, forget it. But it doesn't mean time consuming or complex is better, it means aren't we lucky this craft has evolved so much there's really something for everyone's personal taste!!

And I happily pointed out to the nasties that while they pooh pooh the mordern quilts, open negative space shows EVERYTHING, especially bad piecing and quilting!!

I wonder if these were the 'mean girls' at school, always right, always know everything, and always sniping and putting people down.

Comment

When was the sewing machine invented???? Quilts have been sewn on machines for over 100 years. Sure some were still hand pieced and probably all were hand quilted or hand tied. That is until someone figured out how to use those new fangled machines to quilt by machine.
                    Quilting is putting fabrics together to make patterns. Nothing we do by modern means changes that.
                    Bah Humbug to the quilt police!!
                    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

My grandmother taught me to do button holes and zippers by hand. I feel proud to know how to do that. Would I do it now? Don't think so.

This reminds me of the take over of the tonight show with Jimmy Fallon. The past is gone. People need to grow and move on. If Jenny's simpler way's gets our young people to take up something to carry on a long tradition I say more power to it!

My own girls (who I taught) would never do it the old ways. Now they both want to make quilts. What a better way to pass the torch.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yep, guess I missed something too.. I did catch that Brian Williams (host I think),,, started with words like.. some people surprised or shocked,, not sure exact words... at the speed quilting and piecing... but I was glad she stood up for the "fun" and creativity of what we do and why we do it...
                        It is a CREATIVE outlet... I have very few things I LOVE to do.. but the things I do love are all to do with being creative, individual, and experimental... dancing, writing,quilting, knitting, crochet, cooking.. on and on.. thank God I found a man who respects me for that and is tolerant, when the dust piles up while I'm "ripping out something that needs to be re done on my needles" or speaks up and says... i'll rewind that, you need to see it.. he knows I'm only listening,, cause' I'm "counting" stitches...
                        The world goes round with our differences...shame on the narrow minded!!!! No smiles in their day... (Right Blondie)!!!!!!
                        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

You tell 'em Jean!

Sewing machines are, IMHO, THE greatest invention- EVER.

I totally agree that the biggest reason our ancestors stitched by hand was simply because they did not yet have a machine capable of making it easier for them, AND making what they stitched far more durable.

I wonder if farmers face the same criticism when they use tractors instead of horses?

I also wonder if these silly machine quilt critics forgo ALL modern conveniences, like cars and central heat and ovens that don't burn wood, or just sewing machines?

What made them choose the sewing machine as their modern tool to disdain, over ALL the countless other modern tools?

And, if they are wearing ANYTHING purchased ready to wear, they are blatant hypocrites!
                          Cathryn

Comment

Well even Ma on Little House on the Prairie finally got a treadle sewing machine....don't tell me she didn't use it to make household items...quilts, curtains and whatever else they needed. I have no problem with people that do hand quilting, I have a problem with quilt snobs.

Like Jenny said in one of her tutorials "all quilts become heirlooms". My family & friends love the things I make for them and that's all that matters to me!
                            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Jean, I know the posts of which you're referring. Made my blood boil to think that some people think there's only one way to quilt. Yes, I also have grandma's quilts in the attic; hand pieced and hand quilted. I admire their work, but do not have the time for that, nor do I need to do it their way. Progress is progress. I enjoy Jenny's quick methods and have been able to pump out more quilts in the last year than I was able to do for nearly 20 years, thanks to Jenny's pre-cuts and quick quilting methods.

Can I do the intricate quilting of Leah Day or McTavish? Nope! Can I hand quilt with any accuracy? Nope! Can I do any kind of art quilts? Nope! But, do I enjoy quilting? You betcha! My love for quilting came back to me after the loss of family members and depression over the loss. Quilting brought me back to the world and I enjoy it every single day. I've been introduced to the MSQ quilting world and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I think there's room in the quilting world for ALL, new, old, skilled, beginners, artists, etc. I don't have the time to spend months or a year or two making a quilt. I want my family to enjoy and use the quilts. So, if they wear out from love and a lot of use, I'll make them another. There's nothing like Grandma getting a big hug from the grandkids and having her quilts posted on Instagram to their friends! Now that's real love. None of the kids or family have any idea of whether a quilt took me two days or eight months to make. So, I say to all those who think there's only one way to quilt: Get your snooty head out of your whats-it and let everyone enjoy the craft.

I can only think that those posting the negatives on pre-cuts and Jenny's methods are jealous and wish they had the same success. I admire their skills but I'd prefer to have quick and fun results. There's room for all quilting styles and methods. So happy that I found MSQ*.

Comment

Working...
                              X