How I Chose My New Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I Chose My New Machine

Patsy, my old machine, serves me well. She never failed to do what I asked within her capability. She is still with me and, even in retirement, will still have a role to play here in Hooper Land. Patsy is a Janome 6260.

Enter Sophie, my new Brother DreamCreator XE. I began my search for the new machine and quickly became confused by all the varied options and sales hype. I visited every dealership in Huntsville, Alabama, and listened to why their machines are "the best in the industry." By the time I had all the literature from my search, the notes I had taken, and considered every option I was more confused than when I started. I was no closer to a decision. So I decided to clear the board and concentrate on a different method of choosing.

With everything considered, I decided that my top criteria should be service, classes, and overall dealership attitude. After all is said and done the dealership will be key to my success. The Brother dealership is by far the leader based on my criteria. If I have problems, questions, or "need anything" I feel certain their support will there for me. Last evening I attended the first of the classes for my machine. The instructor was really attentive to all attending. The class was at ease and open. Great experience.

I test drove Viking, Janome, Singer, Bernina, BabyLock, Brother, and a couple of others. Some were out of my price range so they were eliminated. Brother is by far the most customer oriented dealership that I visited.

This is probably more info that anyone wanted. I do encourage anyone buying new equipment to consider the dealership and service availability.

Re: How I Chose My New Machine

I just bought the dream creator about a month ago and I LOVE it. It does soooo many things that I love. Did I mention that I LOVE this machine. Have fun with it!!!!!
    Mine is just the Dream Creator, not the XE with embroidery. I have an embroidery only machine already.
    Last edited by Doloris; February 25, 2014, 07:52 AM.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Ruth View Post
      I decided that my top criteria should be service, classes, and overall dealership attitude. After all is said and done the dealership will be key to my success.

I do encourage anyone buying new equipment to consider the dealership and service availability.
      YES!! This is exactly how I feel and always what I advise people to consider first and foremost when buying a new machine.

There are so many wonderful awesome machines to choose from, all just about the same quality that do just about the same things. It's the dealer that makes or breaks the owner experience.

So happy for you that you found a machine experience you LOVE!!
      Cathryn

Comment

Great post! You mentioned so many things that could be repeated over and over to people asking what machine to buy. You said it all perfectly.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wow - what a beautiful machine! I googled it to see what it looks like: Brother VM5100 DreamCreator XE Sew Embroidery Machine +17 Extras* $2250 Values! at AllBrands.com

Wow - look at the throat space! 11 1/4"! And the embroidery is 7" X 12"!

If I ever have to replace my Babylock this looks like a good option.
          Vonnie

Comment

I did not know that Brother was sold at dealerships. That is interesting. I don't think we have ANY good dealerships around here any more. I catch them in lies almost every time I go in for service or to buy something. Different salespeople give completely different stories about things, tell you different prices, and flat give misinformation. They are all sleazy in my opinion. I think they jack up the prices so they can give fake "discounts" that are still more than other people are paying (or report paying). It is a good thing I am not in the market for a new machine or I am not sure what I would do. And I live near a moderate-sized city, too. I would probably have to go to another city or order online. Those of you who have "good dealerships" should count yourselves lucky.

sigpic
            Marci

Comment

You might be able to find a dealer here: Brother International - Home Sewing Machine and Embroidery Machine
              Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by ozziepuppy View Post
                Those of you who have "good dealerships" should count yourselves lucky.
                I am so so so Thankful for my wonderful dealer! Especially every time I hear a horror story about a lousy one. I don't know what I would do if he ever closes his shop!
                Cathryn

Comment

I have an awesome Brother dealership as well. I went in clueless to the shop and the dealer took the time to ask me questions and get a feel for what I wanted. He showed me my options and let me test drive a few.

At one point I was on the verge of eeny meany miny moe because of the choices.

Love your machine. I may have to go and look at one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Ruth View Post
                    Patsy, my old machine, serves me well. She never failed to do what I asked within her capability. She is still with me and, even in retirement, will still have a role to play here in Hooper Land. Patsy is a Janome 6260.

Enter Sophie, my new Brother DreamCreator XE. I began my search for the new machine and quickly became confused by all the varied options and sales hype. I visited every dealership in Huntsville, Alabama, and listened to why their machines are "the best in the industry." By the time I had all the literature from my search, the notes I had taken, and considered every option I was more confused than when I started. I was no closer to a decision. So I decided to clear the board and concentrate on a different method of choosing.

With everything considered, I decided that my top criteria should be service, classes, and overall dealership attitude. After all is said and done the dealership will be key to my success. The Brother dealership is by far the leader based on my criteria. If I have problems, questions, or "need anything" I feel certain their support will there for me. Last evening I attended the first of the classes for my machine. The instructor was really attentive to all attending. The class was at ease and open. Great experience.

I test drove Viking, Janome, Singer, Bernina, BabyLock, Brother, and a couple of others. Some were out of my price range so they were eliminated. Brother is by far the most customer oriented dealership that I visited.

This is probably more info that anyone wanted. I do encourage anyone buying new equipment to consider the dealership and service availability.
                    Congrats on your new machine! I just watched a video on it and its a great machine!
                    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

It can't be measured what a good dealership can do for you, no matter what price point you are entering the sewing machine market. Just choosing a machine based on someone's recommendation or buying off the shelf is not going to do it for you. And you have to feel comfortable with your dealer, knowing they will be there to back you up if you have problems. It is sad that some dealerships are snooty and turn off the entry level machine buyer. You'll trade up and stay with them if they give you good service to begin with. I know I did, and that's why I've purchased machines from the same dealer for over 22 years. I trust them to give me good service and a fair price.

Comment

Congratulations on your new machine Very true that a dealer can make a huge difference. Thankfully, I was able to find a good dealer when I bought mine.

Comment

Congrats on your new machine!

I truly hope I've found a good dealer in the shop I went to for my mom's machine. So far, everyone has been really nice. They are the typical Mom & Pop shop. Literally, "mom & pop" started the business and 2 grown daughters work in the shop, with a brother in the background somewhere. Mom is often in the fabric shop showing people where to find things and Pop works in the back but makes sure to personally carry every machine purchase to the car!

Seriously, this little old guy is stronger than he looks because when I first saw him go to pick up our machine, I tried to tell him it wasn't necessary by the daughter said, "that is his favorite part of the day". He didn't seem to have any trouble with it and when he put it in my trunk he shook our hands (mom was with me) and thanked us again for the purchase. Old school...

I almost bought the same machine at Joann's because they were having a sale, but the ladies here were so convincing about the pros of buying from a dealer I had to search one out. It's not exactly in the neighborhood, but it's not too bad. As soon as we took the free 2 hour "get to know your machine" class that came with the purchase - I knew I made the right decision.

I've made the trip back twice since then for fabric and I really do want to take a class but I find that most quilt shops/dealers around here tend to forget that not all of us quilters are retired or stay at home types. I can't attend a 4 week class on Tuesdays at 10am! LOL I need evenings and weekends!
                          Vicki
                          Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

I agree 100% that the dealer makes all the difference. I bought a "New-To-Me" machine from a dealer 45 miles from home. We don't have any dealers for any brand in town anymore. The family that owns the dealership sells Bernina and Pfaff. They are Mennonite and very nice. They took the time to answer my questions, explain the differences and worked with me on price. I had one problem with the machine and took it back and they corrected it while I waited. I have purchased accessories for my machine from them and really enjoy going into the shop. I'm sure I will trade with them when I purchase a new machine someday.

Comment

I think you are spot on. Service after the sale is sometimes a lost art, but so important when buying a machine that you expect to enjly for a good long while. Sounds like your forst class was great, good luck with Sophie!

Comment

Working...
                              X