becoming a fabric designer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

becoming a fabric designer

I am just curious if anyone knows what it takes to become a fabric designer? I don't want to make them myself, but i'd LOVE to design them. I see how many fabrics I just adore, and those that i hate, and I find myself wanting to create my own.

Jenny, are you guys needing a new designer?

Re: becoming a fabric designer

MSQC doesn't design fabrics, they order fabrics from existing manufacturers.

One place to maybe play around with fabric design would be Spoonflower. You don't really have to have them printed up unless you want to. I also remember seeing a fabric design contest on Connecting Threads once. They are independent of the other fabric companies and do have their own designers and may possibly take designs from outside sources.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have seen contests in the past. I know for a fact one of them was from Connecting Threads....I think they may do it yearly. Contact the different manufacturers and ask them, they will tell you. I went to a trunk show last year for a designer. It's a long, drawn out process. I don't know if I'd have the patience or not.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Do you ever watch Project Runway? One of the challenges each season is to create their own fabric. There is special software you can get. Here's an article on it.

HP News -*HP Helps Designers Create Fabric Patterns, Compelling Videos on ?Project Runway?
        Last edited by Hulamoon; February 24, 2014, 05:06 AM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I did a quilt for a girl who designs fabric for Windham. She has a line called Hello Gorgeous, and one called Garden Party Chacha. (She has others too, I just can't think of them off the top of my head)

I can ask her how she got started. I know her designs are also on notepads, desk organizers, etc at wal-mart, target and some other stores.
          Last edited by Mchelem; February 24, 2014, 10:38 PM.
          "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Working...
          X