Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

quilting is the best sort of therapy !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting is the best sort of therapy !!!

Hi everyone
    I thought I would share with you my story of how quilting save my sanity .
    To cut a very long story short I have been a nurse for some 32 years this year, I have always loved my job and have believed that the main purpose of my job was to protect and advocate for my patients and fellow nurses,some 15 m ago I put in a grievance regarding health and safety issues I was concerned about with regard to a manager(who is not a nurse) I was informed that my concerns would be looked at quickly and taken seriously .My main concern being the manager continued to bully and harass me and other colleagues at work placing me and patients and other staff in danger .

I waited 5 months for a response to my concerns having to chase this at every turn ,I remained at work while the manager was made aware of the grievance! this as you can imagine was very stressful .further staff also put in complaints all of which were disregarded and played down ,I started to quilt to take my mind of the stress I was suffering at work and while I was going through the lengthy grievance process.

My colleagues one by one dropped the complaints as it was so stressful and no one felt heard .I went all the way to the finally stage and spoke to the CEO .This story sadly does not have a happy ending as I started to have panic attacks 5 months ago and have been having counselling to get over the stress of it all ,
    I am still of work and am unsure if I will stay in nursing .I was under the illusion that my complaints would be taken seriously and looked at.
    what happened was the managers covered each other backs and did nothing . I have no further rights to appeal and they felt that I should just return to my job under this bully . On the up side I have made 5 quilts and found it to be a great form of therapy it distracts you from your worries and focusses the mind .It may only be some cloth and some thread but it has kept me sane and I thank god for helping me find the quilting bug xx
    love and hugs Edwina .x

Re: quilting is the best sort of therapy !!!

God has a way of leading us to what we need for our sanity. Hope you don't give up nursing, but you have to take care of you first. Maybe go to a different hospital.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

Edwina.. I quit a job several yrs ago because of "stress" , lucky for me we didn't have "high needs at the time"... so I quit.. my kids thought I should have "gone out on disability".. but that's not me.. it wasn't about the money,, I've only worked for fun and enjoyment, so if the job begins to make me crazy,, I'm out of there... (I am not a highly trained gal of course so things are a little different for you)... but Marilyn is right... YOU are what's important.. do what you feel is right for you..i have just never seen anything positive or come out "right" when a person is looking for justice in the workplace... there will always be the people that will step over you and save themselves... that's the kind of place I DON"T want to be working...
      Glad to have you aboard the quilting train... hugs, to you,,, GB
      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I'm so sorry you have had so much stress over your job. I think nursing must be one of the most difficult and least appreciated jobs. I'm glad you found quilting to help you get through. I hope you can find a workplace where you will be valued if you decide to go back to nursing. Good luck!
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

When will nurses receive the respect they should have? Rhetorical question, of course. I'm so sorry you are going through this but so very glad you found something to help you cope.
          Dorothy in Denver
          Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.
          There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
          -Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm so sorry you are having problems at work. There is another girl I know who is going through the same kind of problems. And Gramma Babs is right, people will walk all over you and throw you under the bus if it may threaten their job as well. It is very sad when you are standing alone after everyone else agreed with everything you are saying, and then when it hits the fan, they clam up and step back and leave you hanging. I will say prayers for you to find a place where you are valued also. One thing on this site is the support system you have in all the members. If you need to vent, we'll listen. Believe me, these people have been there in amazing ways for me and mine. You'll be in my thoughts and Prayers. Hugs, Jan L.
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Funny how people don't understand how terrible it can be to basically be bullied at work by a supervisor. I have been there and done that and it wasn't a bit of fun. Stress can cause mental and physical damage. I was working in a school system and appealed....nothing was done about the situation, but I finally got to go to another school rather than lose my job. The change of atmosphere was phenomenal. Look at other options around you...not only hospitals, but doctor's offices, private clinics, etc. I am sure you are a fantastic nurse; you only need to find a place to work where you can bloom.

Quilting helps me get my mind off some problems I have at the moment...not work related (I finally retired after 37 years), but quilting does help me focus on the positive. Good luck in handling this tricky situation.
              Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

WOW!! It is amazing how sad and terrible you were treated. I believe in the power of recreation.."Re-creating". Taking a cup of tea and sitting at my sewing machine really helps to clear the mind and soul. I too had a very challenging situation with my boss, took the appropriate "risky and scary" steps, and justice and right prevailed, she is not longer at our company. It was the most difficult and challenging things I have ever done. You feel like you are on an island all by yourself.

My sewing machine and crafting hobbies really helped me heal and move on. I often tell my mom that I'm glad she taught me how to sew...if it wasn't for her I would never enjoy this special release. I made it a point to purchase my grown daughter a machine and she to sews.

Comment

From one nurse to another...I'm sorry you have had to deal with these problems in the work place...our jobs, as nurses, is hard enough and we should have the total 100% support from our directors, but unfortunately that did not happen for you. I know things are really tough at our hospital these days due to the cutbacks that the hospital upper management feel they have to make due to less reimbursement from the insurance companies. Sometimes I feel like all upper management thinks about is the bottom dollar...but what about the fairness and safety of the patients? Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Take care of our patients and help them get back on the mend...not subject them to unsafe practice? I am 54 years old and have only been a nurse for 4 1/2 years and I love it...should have gone to nursing school many years ago...but some days I wonder what our medical industry is coming to. Again, I'm sorry you have been under so much stress! HOWEVER...I'm not sorry that you have joined us here at M*. Quilting is my outlet and puts me at ease! As it should...and these people, these wonderful, caring people, on here...are a Godsend at times. Know that we are always here to "listen"!
                  LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Hi all ,
                    Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.
                    I loved my job and was I thought very good at it (I am a nurse practitioner who work with homeless and vulnerable adults) I am now just focussing on getting over my anxiety related illness and rebuilding my life xx happy quilting everyone x
                    love and hugs Edwina .x

Comment

Nurses are3 awesome. My husband is a nurse at a prison. not a very nice place.
                      I quit my job 2 years ago because of the stress and biased workload.
                      When finishing up my 20 in the AF, i started making quilts like crazy, just to keep my mind off
                      what i will do after i get out. We were both due to get out within 2 years of each other.
                      You are a nurse, that already speaks of a strong woman in a needed position.
                      Stay strong sister.
                      I LOVE JESUS

Comment

Working...
                      X