How do you separate your stash fabrics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you separate your stash fabrics?

I've been doing some serious stash building lately and now I need to organize somehow. So I sure could use some ideas...sort by colour? by fabric lines? all FQ's together? I have a bunch of plastic bins to use, but really don't know where to start!
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Patti

Re: How do you separate your stash fabrics?

Patti, I recently did a huge sorting job (when I moved into my 'new' sewing room). I separated my fabrics into these areas: color: Red, blue, yellow, green, brown, black, white, purple. And then separated out plaids, checks, florals, flannels, wools, kids fabrics, and seasonal.

What I wound up doing was buying foam-core boards and cutting them into 10x10 inch pieces. I folded my fabric to be 10 inches wide, wrapped around the foam-core boards, and pinned with a craft T-pin. You can see some of the pictures of my stash in my album under my profile.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

My fat quarters are stored in those super long, thin plastic containers - kind of like the ones that you can slip under your bed.
      Any larger pieces are folded and separated into colors and then I pulled out flowers, Christmas, plaids/checks, kids. (Kind of like Sandy.) And of course, I have a large stack of my 'very, very favorites' that nobody better touch for anything. I need to work with those cause it's a shame to have them just sit there. Oh, and my pre-cuts are all together too - right now sitting in a large basket, but at least I know where they are.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I have my fabric sorted by baby, older boy and older girl, holidays, reds and black, polka dots seem to multiply so they are in their own basket too....LOL, the other baskets are a mish mash of other colors/prints and should be sorted, but I kinda like searching through them, it reminds me what I have. Every time I search for something I try to sort out a piece or 2 to donate. I have my pre-cuts that I have gotten from MSQC all by themselves too....they are my faves. I went on a binge a couple of years ago with flannels for pillowcases and rag quilts and they are all in the closet.
        :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I have all of my fat quarters sorted by color in plastic bins that let them stand on end so I don't have to dig down through them I have my flannels and big chunks of cottons in big totes and then the wire bins have the rest of the stash. I need to really pull all of those bins out and sort the fabrics in there by color and purpose. I have some clothing/costume fabrics and probably enough interfacing and WonderUnder to each fill a wire bin of their own. I didn't have enough time to do that when I revamped the sewing space. (I was trying to finish before Hubby came home from guy camp.) I did put a tag on the front of the bins to remind me what was in each one. You can see my post about it and the horrific photos of before and the happy after pics there too.
          http://toggpine.wordpress.com/2010/1...-sewing-space/
          My best suggestion is to label EVERYTHING. It helps prompt your memory about what is where, and prods you to put it back where it belongs. This is especially handy if your quilting is constantly interrupted.
          I like Sandy's idea for the larger pieces of fabric. Since I rarely have more than 2 yards of any one fabric and minimal shelf space, that one will have to hold off for a while.
          Good luck on your organizing mission!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

WOW! Toggpine what a great transformation of your sewing space! How exciting to get everything organized and with the new lighting you can be sewing away into the wee hours if you like! Great job!

I agree completely about how important it is to label everything! I use tons of clear plastic storage bins of all different sizes. I keep special fabric collections together since I usually have a project in mind when I purchase that fabric. Otherwise I tend to sort by the type of precut ie. charms, jelly rolls, layer cakes etc., by colors, by fabric type ie. cottons, batiks, upholstery, flannels, vinyls etc or by intended usage ie applique, background/tonals, novelty, seasonal, remnants etc. Even with the clear plastic bins that allow me to see through them I still need to label everything if I want to lay my hands on something quickly. Once I start a project, I try to keep everything needed for that project in the same container. When I have made my decisions on a purse/handbag project for example, I keep the selected pattern, fabric, zippers, buttons, trim and hardware all together.

SEWING ROOM PICS_0081.jpgSEWING ROOM PICS_0108.jpgSEWING ROOM PICS_0112.jpgSEWING ROOM PICS_0114.jpgSEWING ROOM PICS_0115.jpg
            Linda
            -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

I don't have the Space to keep alot of fabrics on hand, but I do save anything that is an inch or more in size. So I not only sort by color, but by size. I have strips of fabric and squares all sorted by size.. then color. And I don't purchase alot of boxes or containers. I recycle alot of clear plastic containers from our food/groceries. I think I did a post at my blog about this recycling thing.

Since my stash is so SMALL I'll gladly accept ANY of your UGLY, Unwanted fabric.... JUST SAYIN - I never met a fabric I didn't love. Judy
              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
              :icon_wave:

Comment

Hi Patti
                Welcome to the forum. You have received some great advice. I need more plastic bins and I do also separate by color and size. Since I have a lot of scrap, I use the Bonnie Hunter method for those http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
                Good luck!
                Blondie
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

OMG, if my fabric stash gets anywhere near what you all have going, my hubby will be moving out into the garage. He can't stand clutter of any kind. Of course, I do have my collection of beads, jewelry making equipment, and Longaberger baskets. I used to be a consultant so I have more baskets than anyone can ever use. Now that I switched back to fabric, I pulled all the fabric out of storage and began sorting through it. It's getting messy. LOL! Oh well, that's what rainy days are for. Oh yeah, I do use the baskets for sorting but you can't stack baskets. LOL!
                  Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
                  "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Well it really depends on what you do. As I do some sewing (clothes) too, I have some yardage of different fabrics, usuable also for quilting, applique whatever. That is why I sort my fabrics by color and store them in a cupboard, which I labelled with the different colors.
                    Lately, I do keep small scraps and store them according to the size straipes 2 1/2 inches wide or some squares 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. Those I don't store by colors.
                    Then I have this bin, where I throw the rests in, either for scrap quilts, or the the stripes for weaving.
                    I think everyone has to have his own system, according to size of the sewing room or what you prefer to do quilting or sewing clothes etc.
                    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
                      I don't have the Space to keep alot of fabrics on hand, but I do save anything that is an inch or more in size. So I not only sort by color, but by size. I have strips of fabric and squares all sorted by size.. then color. And I don't purchase alot of boxes or containers. I recycle alot of clear plastic containers from our food/groceries. I think I did a post at my blog about this recycling thing.

Since my stash is so SMALL I'll gladly accept ANY of your UGLY, Unwanted fabric.... JUST SAYIN - I never met a fabric I didn't love. Judy
                      I won't donate you any of my ugly fabrics, since I like them all. I had a look at your blog and I like your recycling the toilet paper rolls. I might follow your example if I find the ideal box for holding them.

Thanks for sharing
                      sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

I have gone to home depot and bought two 6 cubical units and two 9 cubical units. If I have a project in mind for the fabric (like my bundle packs) I have them all folded together and stuck together. Then I have my kids fabric together, my collegic fabric together, my patriotic fabrics together and so on and so on. Then if I don't think I'm going to use it after all these years I donate it. I have all of my fat quarters in the long tobacco boxes that I picked up at Costco one trip. The boxes are the perfect length and perfect width.

Good Luck and happy sorting.

Comment

Hi....
                          I don't have nearly the stash that some of my sister quilters do ..... so mine is easier to store.
                          I saw a video on youtube where the lady folded her fabric in half width wise and then used her 6 x 12 ruler as a core to fold it length wise. Then she just slid out the ruler and had very neatly folded fabric. I did that and it worked great for me. I can look for the video if you're interested. I sort in two ways...... one, color and anything that is primarily one color goes in that stack and two..... by size... anything smaller than 1/2 yard gets folded and put in a bin. Scraps go into huge glass jars that I buy at Walmart.
                          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                          Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                          (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Sewbee: Don't you love those bins with the blue handles? One size fits the fat quarters on edge perfectly!

I do love my "new" sewing space. It is much easier to work on a project when you can find your supplies without mounting a half day search party! I am forever trying to keep it somewhat neat. It is VERY tempting for things to get dumped on that huge flat surface though. The Office space in our bedroom is still not done. Now that the weather is looking warmer and drier I will probably have to finish the refinishing myself. Then hopefully I can complete the transformation.

As for scraps, I try to put the pieces back with the rest of the fabric if I have a chunk left. If I only have scraps, then they go into a mesh bag. I have yet to actually do anything with the scraps, but maybe one day....
                            Be who you are and say what you feel
                            because those who mind don't matter,
                            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Ikea!!! I love there storage solutions, If there was a store near me....well I would have Ikea Fab space!
                              Happy Quilting
                              Daniela

http://pinkquotidian.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X