Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may have bit off more than I can chew, or I started a new project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I may have bit off more than I can chew, or I started a new project.

I got it done. I'm not totally pleased with the points. But I need a lot of practice. I am surprised that by the end I was sewing through eight layers of fabric. I like Jenny's method of making the flying geese, it doesn't seem to end up as thick when finished.

Here is the completed square and the black and white image of what it is supposed to look like.

GEDC0017.jpgGEDC0018.jpgGEDC0019.JPG

Thanks for the encouragement from everyone.

Comment

looks pretty good for a first attempt. We all sometimes loose the points on our blocks, but you will get better with practice. Are you trimming away the extra layers under the corners of your flying geese and the corners of the corner blocks?
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

That looks pretty good!! Do you have one of the flying geese ruler/templates?
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Good for you! Glad you went for it!
          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
            looks pretty good for a first attempt. We all sometimes loose the points on our blocks, but you will get better with practice. Are you trimming away the extra layers under the corners of your flying geese and the corners of the corner blocks?
            I didn't trim away the extra layers under the corners. Is that something I should have done?

Comment

Originally posted by BobW View Post
              I didn't trim away the extra layers under the corners. Is that something I should have done?
              Yes. When you sew a square to the corner and then press it back, you should trim away the 2 bottom layers, leaving a 1/4" seam. That takes away the bulk, aka the 8 layers you were sewing through.
              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

They look very good for a first attempt. Dolores is right. I bet you were supposed to trim off the extra prices on the flying geese & the square in a square. Maybe the instructions weren't clear on that step.
                If you trim the extra fabric underneath I bet you would have less trouble with the points, even though they aren't bad at all..

Oops someone beat me to the post lol
                Count on this forum for quick answers.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Well pinch my butt and call me a jelly doughnut. That makes sense now that I read it. It seemed off to try to line up things with the thickness that I ended up with. I laughed and thought it was almost as if it had batting in the middle. Well, this block of the month quilt is going to be a learning process for me.

Thanks for the kind comments and the suggestions. I'm enjoying the forums so much.

Comment

Wow. They look great! Even if you did keep the extra fabric, it looks good from the front. Your points are fine and you'll get better as you continue. Remember the galloping horse rule....

Comment

Wow, looking good so far. This will be beautiful when it's all done.

Comment

The treasure hunt sounds like fun to me. Remember doing those years ago.
                        Brenda in Bama

Comment

It is not the 98 pieces that would scare me, it is the sewing of it that does. The more seams, the more your block will be too little or too big, and squaring might cut off points. No way would I have made the flying geese other than one of the neat methods there are to do so plus using a geese square up ruler to make it precise - provided the end result is the size you need. That way, at least those seams won't throw your block out of size. Looks like you made it through the first block!
                          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X