Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may have bit off more than I can chew, or I started a new project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have bit off more than I can chew, or I started a new project.

One of our local quilt shops is doing a mystery block of the month. I asked them if they thought I could do it. They said yes. I have looked at it and looked at it for over a week. It is Scrappy Sampler. I had to cut the pieces for the block. I haven't really done any cutting as I have used pre-cuts. I cut for the D9P and D4P but that is about it.

There are 98 pieces that are used to make a 12"x12" finished block. I seem to have got my material cut, and tomorrow I'll start the piecing. The cutting has really scared me. I have two more projects I have bought that will require cutting the pieces, so I'm feeling better about it. I'll feel even better if all 98 pieces fit together and make the correct block. It has Flying geese in it, I think Jenny may have a better way to do them that what the instructions and pattern say to do. I'm doing it the way the instructions say. Someday I'll feel more comfortable using the tutorials and doing it some easier.

This is a scavenger series. The first block cost $10 and I have to have it finished by March 19. I take it in to the shop and then go on a scavenger hunt around the store and get my 2nd block material. There are 12 blocks to be done.

Re: I may have bit off more than I can chew, or I started a new project.

Sounds like a big undertaking. I would try the first block and see how that goes. Good luck!

Comment

That does sound like a big undertaking. I don't think I would do it, so good luck.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Oh!!!! The BOM sounds like so much fun! I love doing flying geese, and who doesn't love a scavenger hunt??? I can't wait to see your block! Good luck!

I think the largest number of pieces I've done is in the mid sixties.....
        Last edited by bubba; February 20, 2014, 11:17 PM.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I'll be interested in your progress there brother. I've been piecing for more than 20 years and you can't pay me to put 98 pieces into one block. I hope it works for you!

Comment

I'm with Kensington... I admire your willingness to try this project.., I just know there is no way I would even try it. 98 pieces on one twelve inch block...? No way.... Just the thought terrifies me...

I wish you success.... Can't wait to see the block...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

it sounds like fun but i understand your fear,my first quilt was a log cabin and i had to hand cut all the strips i think i broke into a sweat every time i had to start once you get started it shouldn't be bad just make sure that your templates include the 1/4" seam allowance .good luck
              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

you only sew one seam at a time, so stop thinking of it as 98 pieces and start thinking of it as one seam at a time and before you know it you will have the block together. Have fun with it. This will help you learn new things along the way.
                Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Samplers are a great way to get experience. I made so many mistakes in the early years that I bought cheap fabric to practice on. And I also learned the hard way not to wait until the day before it's due because that's when you make the most mistakes.

What I learned is that they cut the fabric to fit the instructions they give you so sometimes you can't do it another way because the fabric is cut to accommodate it. For example Flying Geese. I like doing it using the Quilt in a Day rulers. But, you need two squares and they usually give you strips to work with.

So, don't worry about how difficult it is - think of it as a great way to do something new. And it's just one block at a time - not a whole quilt of the same block. And if you have problems, this forum is a great place to ask for help.

So, good luck and have fun.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I think it will be a fun learning experience. Just take your time & have fun!!
                    After all, how will you know if you can do unless you try??
                    Remember, No Guts, No Glory !!
                    May the road rise up to meet you...
                    May the wind be always at your back...
                    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

My take, you never know until you try. Make this block, have fun with it. Show pictures when it's done.

And hey... Scavenger hunt! Sounds like fun.

Comment

oh my! 98 pieces?!?!?! I haven't ever counted my pieces, but I'm sure none have been that many. But takeit one seam at a time and I'm sure you'll do fine.

The scavenger hunt sounds like fun!

Be sure to post a pic of your block so we can cheer you on!

Comment

Samplers are a great way to learn! I am sure you can do! Go for it!!
                          Happy Quilting!

Comment

I took the morning to work on the block. I got the corners and the sides with the flying geese done. Now all I have to do is the center star.4 Corners.jpgGeese.jpg

Comment

Good for you for taking on the project. I can't wait to see the finished block.

Comment

Working...
                              X