Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Home machine

Hello, all!

For the past ten years or so, I've been enjoying my Grandmother's New Home sewing machine as a decorative piece in my home. All of the drawers are in tact and there are even containers of accessories in the drawers

Do any of you have experience or have you had success in getting these beauties back in shape and using them? It's a treadle machine that has been electrified at some point. I've never plugged it in or tried to use it because I've been too scared to destroy it.

I'd be perfectly happy to continue loving it and enjoying it just as it is right now; a family history piece. Just figured since my inspiration to start quilting was having a container full of her old fabric and partially finished quilt blocks, it would be kind of neat to eventually finish something that she started on a machine that she owned.

P.S. - is it Spring yet?
    Renee

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle ~ Plato:)

Re: New Home machine

That is a wonderful thought. I wish I had my grandmothers White Domestic she used as a seamstress. I would suggest finding a good sewing machine repair person who is comfortable working on older machines and having them check it over. It probably needs cleaning and oiling. May need a new belt. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I would say that Sandy Navas is our resident expert in how to get the old machines back up and running. While I think she has worked mostly with Singer, the old machines all work pretty much the same so she might wander in and be of some help to you.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

You don't need to take it to someone to get it up and sewing. Easiest is if you want to return it to a people powered treadle. But your first stop should be the International Sewing Machine Collectors Society at ISMACS - Vintage, antique, and rare Sewing Machines. Use the search on the home page and you'll find tons of info including manuals. I've refurbed four Singers but as someone else mentioned, the underlying bones are all the same so your New Home. I have lots of other resources, just let me know. Love to share the fun of getting these old gals working again.

Dorothy in Denver
        Dorothy in Denver
        Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.
        There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
        -Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
        X