How Old are Your UFOs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Old are Your UFOs?

I just finished my oldest UFO. I started working on that puppy in April of 1999! I put the start and finish dates on the label. I figure at some point in the future someone will get a laugh out of that! So, that made me think...how old are your UFOs?

I have two in the attic that are about ten years old. But, I haven't sewn a stitch on them in those ten years, so they're not active UFOs. I have two active UFOs that have been started since the first of the year, and one is all but finished - just the quilting is left to go. I may end up tossing one of the attic UFOs. I took a look at it last week, and it's a very complicated paper piecing project. UGH! What was I thinking?

I'm having to fight my urges to keep from starting something new until I get the current ones done. But, man! It's hard! I have fabric and design worked out for two more, and they're calling my name. I know I'm not the only one with this disease. How old are your UFOs and how many do you have waiting in the wings?

Suzette

Re: How Old are Your UFOs?

I think my one oldie goes back about 12 years, but I had it quilted once and ripped out all the quilting because I didn't care for the pattern I chose or the border. It's a scottie dog quilt and I want it to have a certain look. I made it to honor the three Scotties I had and now we have two more scotties, so it needs some adding to. I plan to torture myself and quilt it by hand because it will be a table topper or wall quilt. I can see it hanging in my sewing room. The rest of my UFOS are from the last year or so.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I posted a picture of my UFO quilt tops pile last week. I had 30 but have gotten two of them done since then and am half way done another one! The oldest is about 30 years old but still in very good condition as I've kept it away from sun and moisture. I do plan to finish it one day. It's interesting to me to see how the fabrics and my tastes have changed over the years.
      Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

LOL! My oldest UFO is 32 years old and the second oldest is 20 years old. Those are of quilts that I have pieced.

I will not count the 2 quilt tops of my grandmother that I have had in my possession for the past 20 years as they were not pieced by me. One of those is a double wedding ring with feedsack fabrics (looks like it may be from the 30's) and will need hand quilted, and the other is hand appliqued (from the 70's) and will need hand quilted.
        Happy Quilting!

Comment

I have 9 blocks of a Baltimore album quilt that I started about 20 years ago maybe longer. Somehow I never finished the other blocks and don't know if I still have my patterns for the rest of the blocks.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

My oldest are only a year. In my defense, I am unable to even finish one because it is a class I took and the shop never got all the fabric in. It's all a great big ugly mess!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I thought I had you all beat with my oldest UFO at 23 years. Now I don't feel so bad reading some of these. I only need to handquilt about a 3' section of border and bind it. I use it on the sofa but I may not finish it based on principle only.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                My oldest are only a year. In my defense, I am unable to even finish one because it is a class I took and the shop never got all the fabric in. It's all a great big ugly mess!
                That is when you rename it a table runner, table topper or even a wall hanging or mug rug!
                Add some fabric from your stash if needed and knock it out!
                I try to finish anything with "bad memories" first so I do not have to look at them in my stack. It would wear me out if I did not!
                Happy Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by bhaggerty View Post
                  That is when you rename it a table runner, table topper or even a wall hanging or mug rug!
                  Add some fabric from your stash if needed and knock it out!
                  I try to finish anything with "bad memories" first so I do not have to look at them in my stack. It would wear me out if I did not!
                  I just finished a quilt with bad memories because I was tired of it being in my UFO pile. I'm glad it's finished now I can quit stressing about it.
                  Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                  I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

My oldest UFO is only a year old...I have several pieces that need finished...as soon as the 2 craft shows are finished that I have signed up to do, I WILL get them done!
                    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Reading the ages of your UFOs makes me feel a little better. My oldest UFO is a BOM from 2005. I was so happy when it came up as January's project in the 2014 UFO Group, and I now have the quilt top done. But it's still a UFO until it's quilted and bound.

I'm only doing quilt tops this year, then next year I'll set up my Little Gracie and quilt them all. My Little Gracie had to be taken down and stored when my daughter and her family moved two hours away; the Little Gracie "room" became a guest room.

Suzette, please consider joining the 2014 UFO Group. Many of us are finding that belonging to the group helps us to focus on one project and FINISH IT. Here's how it works:
                      - After joining the group, you write a list of 12 projects you'd like to complete this year. Number the list from 1 to 12.
                      - Create a thread in your own name and post your numbered list.
                      - At the beginning of the month, we pull a number. That's the project you work on for the month.

If you have a long way to go on one of your quilts, it's fine to split it into two months and just edit your list if the second half comes up before the first half.

The group is really active and supportive. We post lots of pictures and help motivate each other. We'd love to have you join. January's number was 4, and February's number is 11, so keep that in mind when you write your list (i.e. #4 should be blank).

Hope to see you there!
                      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

My oldest was 10 or a little better old but it was the UFO for Jan and now its done!! so nothing older then a couple years.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

My husband will not let me buy material unless I have a specific plan for it and I cannot buy material (no matter how great the sale is) until I have completely finished the first. That means if I send one out for machine quilting I cannot buy anything for the next one until it is back from the quilter and the binding is on. Keeps me from overspending and everything gets completed. In his defense, we have 3 kids in college and 2 more that will start soon. He will be better in about six years.

Comment

All of my UFOs are finished tops that need to be finished. I just pulled out all of the tops and started with the small ones, got the backing done then sandwiched and quilted.
                            I have two ready to be quilted, and I am really going to try and make a dent in my pile of UFOs! The oldest is 14 yrs!
                            April

Comment

My oldest is a white on white hand quilted queen size. It's about half done, and maybe one of these years...!

Comment

Working...
                              X