A Sacramento Rant & Janome 11000 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sacramento Rant & Janome 11000 question

I sit here so disappointed that I have a few tears on my cheeks (nothing too bad, not to worry).

There is a well known sewing store in Sacramento which I shall not name, but anyone in this area will know about the "big needle" store. They offer Machine Mastery classes for basically any machine at all; the classes are free if you buy the machine from them, and a reasonable charge--under $50-- if you bought elsewhere. I recently approached them about taking a class on the embroidery functions of my Janome 11000.

I talked to the manager of the store who let me know that she hasn't sold an 11000 in a long time and told me to take the Janome 9900 class. She told me to talk to the Janome teacher, explain that the 9900 class is the closest to the 11000, and what dates the 9900 class is available. Neither date was ideal; I knew I'd be working on one, and the other was a day I normally would be visiting my grandchildren.

I chose the "grandchildren" date, called the teacher directly, and explained the manager's 11000/9900 instruction. The teacher said she understood and took my credit card number over the phone. I was so excited. All weekend long I've been saying, "My embroidery class is Monday." This morning I schlepped that big heavy machine into my car and drove the not inconsiderable distance to the "big needle." I lugged the machine from the parking lot into the classroom relieved that I got there in time.

The teacher took one look at my machine and said, "This class is only for the 9900. You're welcome to sit and watch, but I'm not trained on the 11000 and it's a very different machine." I said, "But the manager said this was the class to take. And I spoke to you and you said that would be fine." She stressed that nothing would be the same, and I kept saying, "But I talked to you on the phone." I have to presume she was distracted and didn't listen to me. So I asked for a refund which she pleasantly gave me. She also said she'd try to pull together a one-on-one class for the 11000.

I have to admit that's a very nice offer, but I'll never get back the weekend I could have spent with my grandkids, nor the hour and half I spent on the road this morning.

I don't want this to be a total rant, so I have a question: Does anyone know about an online training class for the Janome 11000? It wouldn't have to be free, I just need some help getting started.

Thanks, everyone. It's good to get this off my chest.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Re: A Sacramento Rant & Janome 11000 question

That is very disappointing. I hope you can get the instruction you need. I have Janome machines, but not that model. My embroidery machine predates the 11000, I stopped at 10000. I bought my machine in 2001 or '02, and the 11000 came out shortly after that. So the model you are using is quite dated, even though I've seen the newer models in my dealer's store. An instructor who has done Janome instruction for a long time is what you need. Hope you can find what you need.

Comment

I have the 11000 and had free classes where I bought it...Check out the Janome web site..There is a lot of info there..

Comment

Thanks Jean and Millie. I appreciate your kind words and sympathy. I've been digging around the Internet and have found some training. I'll do these tutorials and hopefully that will get me started.
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I use to have the Janome 11000 SE and loved it! Hopefully you can find some videos on it.
          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Working...
          X