• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stationarymom
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2013

quilt material

hi
    i was on e-bay earlier today and noticed that there were a lot of jelly rolls for sale starting any where from$ 19.00-29.00.
    there were also a lot of buy it now options i just thought i would let you know.
    :icon_wave:Joan
  • Judy, USMC
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: quilt material

On Ebay you need to be vigilant when you see any pre-cuts that are low cost. Many are cut by the seller and not by the manufacturer. So the accuracy of the cuts depends on the cutting skill of the seller. More than once (and also recently posted here on the forum) the actual size of the pre-cut will NOT be the advertised size. And beware of the pictures; sometimes they will use a manufactured cut photo but will be a kitchen table cut. Read the description ... and ask if it's not clearly stated.

I do buy from ebay ... but only the manufacturer cuts. And YES - some of them are a very good price or have a very reasonable start bid! But also remember pre-cuts are not equal. Moda may have 40-42 in a jelly but Riley Blake may only have 18. So that's another fact to look for.

Definitely not belittling your post, StationaryMom, just wanted to add that info for some of our newer quilters. I found out the hard way.......
    Last edited by Judy, USMC; February 17, 2014, 04:36 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

• Vonnie
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2013

Thanks for the heads up. I recently bought some dragon fabric from ebay and got a very good deal. But the thing that I also look at is their ratings by customers. It's amazing the difference in prices. I got this neat fabric for $6 a yard and at other places it was as high as $10 a yard. It was a regular quilt store selling on ebay.
      Vonnie

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

This is off topic a little. Last week I got a small shipment of Easter fabric from JoAnn that I want to use for pillowcases. All but one of the fabrics was acceptable but one was so thin it's almost scary. The nicest piece of fabric came with a note saying that my order was at the end of a bolt and they sent the remainder of that fabric to me at no cost. I got almost a full yard free. I sure was glad it wasn't the thin fabric they gave me!

For the most part I stick to buying only brand names that are sold on M* or I shop at my local Lucky Dollar, where they have super nice fabric. The Lucky Dollar cuts their own jellyrolls from time to time but the woman who cuts them is really accurate.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Granny Judy
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2011

Always ask if it isn't in the description ... It isn't a good price if there are less than 40 strips of fabric. I think the old adage -
          Buyer Beware is you best friend.
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

• Sharyn J
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

I agree that you need to be vigilant when purchasing from ebay and ask questions. I rarely buy fabric from them because each seller adds on their shipping fees and it all adds up too fast. I do better elsewhere.

I buy most fabric from MSQ* and good online fabric stores. I lucked out a couple months ago and purchased fabric charm packs and fabric from an Etsy seller who was closing shop due to her DH's health problems. She was also recommended by a forum member. All her charm packs were cut with the Accu-cut die and they were all perfect and included all the same fabrics from the line, same as the Mfg. I've had very good luck from Etsy. Don't get me wrong, I buy from eBay all the time, but usually other things.

Comment

• maxwellthecat
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2013

Don't get me started, lol
              Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

• stationarymom
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2013

i only looked at the moda cuts,but thanks for the warning.
                :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• RoseMA
                  Binding Belle
                  • Sep 2013

I found one of those good buys a while ago and was really disappointed when it arrived because although technically it was fat quarter's, they were cut weird and I lost almost 4 inches just squaring it up.
                  Also, when I look at the manufacturer cuts, if it looks like a good deal I'll look it up on MSQC or other fabric sites to check prices. I've found a few that really weren't any better priced once you factored in shipping.

Comment

• Iris Girl
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2013

I have bought some fabric from ebay but never precuts, only yardage.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                    X