Quilts in the tornado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilts in the tornado

I am new on this site. Newly interested in learning to quilt. I live in North GA an area HARD hit by the tornadoes. Luckily all my family is safe and my house has only minor damage, the subdivision down the road was not so lucky. We volunteered and assisted with some clean up Friday. Laying over the bushes at one of the houses that was badly damaged was a quilt laid out to dry it had survived, I think the pattern is called Autumn Leaves. I am so glad it was saved.

There are areas of total destruction and some totally unscathed. I never dreamed I would see houses down the road with X's spray painted on them. So sad.

There is also a FB site where people are posting pics of things that fell from the sky in some instances 100s of miles from their original places. One was a quilt with photos on fabric, that too is so sad many of the people who's homes this debris came from did not survive but some is being claimed and returned to their owners or survivors.

Keep the South in your prayers.

Shelley

Re: Quilts in the tornado

Your stories are so sad. The stories of the quilts are touching examples of just how personal the devastation is. My prayers, as they have been, are going out to everyone affected by the storms.
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

So sorry to hear that your home got damaged, but am glad you and your family are okay. I'm glad you checked in. Hopefully those quilts will have some kind of label or distinguishing mark on them so they can be returned to their owners.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Trish the one spread out to dry seemed to be removed from the house it was in front of so the owners have it. One flew with the tornado to another town it has photos that appeared to have been printed onto the fabric and it was looking like it was going to be making it's way home :-)

My power was off for days so I saw no TV reports. Destruction is everywhere, town after town, state after state. You turn the corner and It looks like you are in a war zone. We are safe and everyone in my town survived, but not the case just a few miles away.

Comment

So sorry to hear about all the pain and destruction down your way. The pictures on TV were unbelievable...can not even imagine how awful it must be down there. It sounds like the area is made up of strong and determined people. Take care, meagansmom, we are praying for you all.

Comment

meagansmom - I too live in North GA. I live in Kennesaw just north of Atlanta. I heard of a quilt shop in Ringold that was blown away.
            I hope the memory quilt makes its way home. That would be such a loss to the family. I'm glad your house was spared with minor damage. Maybe we can meet sometime and share quilting ideas.

Comment

I've heard that both facebook and weather.com have a site for people to post items they have found in hopes of reuniting items with owners. I hope it is sucessful. Even a little thing can give comfort.
              The pictures I've seen...I can't imagine where you would even start. DD has said some of the small towns in her area were wiped off the map. May never be rebuilt.
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
              X