Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding Layer Cakes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Holly, and I will introduce myself in more detail soon. I have just a moment. I am new to quilting....actually second time starting to quilt since ten years ago. Although, I am not new to sewing.

I found a really nice 40 piece layer cake squares at a local quilt shop. The name of the fabric is Swiss Chocolate. I was just about ready to cut the squares and measured them, and I noticed that they are only 9 3/4 inches instead of 10 inches. The pattern that I want to use is the Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt. It is cut into two pieces....one 3 1/2 inch cut and one 6 1/2 inch cut. I was afraid to cut it until I find out if the issue of the square being 9 3/4 inch instead of 10 inch would make a big difference. If not, should I cut a 3 1/2 inch square or reduce it down to 3 1/4.

Please let me know what you think. I look forward to reading posts within the forum and learning. I am a former candle maker, and I am very familar with what can be learned in an awesome forum.

Thank you!

~Holly

Re: Question regarding Layer Cakes

I have not made that, so am not qualified to help you. However, from a fellow Washingtonian (Tacoma), welcome to the forum!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

It shouldn't make a difference, just your blocks will be a bit smaller. I think you could go ahead and cut at 3.5" if it makes it easier, that part shouldn't matter. It's a very forgiving pattern
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
        I have not made that, so am not qualified to help you. However, from a fellow Washingtonian (Tacoma), welcome to the forum!
        Thank you for the friendly welcome! It is nice to meet another WA person on the forum. We live in Newman Lake....far east side of WA, near CDA, ID.

The 10 squares are pieced together in rows. Each is cut to have one piece at 3 1/2 and one piece at 6 1/2. You then sew the pieces together with a different print. Then you cut it again in half. Here is the vide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          It shouldn't make a difference, just your blocks will be a bit smaller. I think you could go ahead and cut at 3.5" if it makes it easier, that part shouldn't matter. It's a very forgiving pattern
          Thank you for your response. I will go ahead and cut and will cut the smaller piece the original size.

Do you know if this is common with precut Layer Cakes...that they do not always have a solid 10 inch ? I did get it on sale...was the last one there. She did not mention it was on sale because of the sizing.

Thank you again!
          Last edited by HollyinWA; February 12, 2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Oh, it looks like the moderator has to approve a post that has a link in it.

Comment

I would go ahead and cut them that way, then when you have them all assembled, square them up all to the same size (based on the smallest one). It's a busy design, so you won't notice if it's not always exact from block to block. Just be sure to make them square because you rotate the blocks to assemble the rows. It's a fun pattern to do. Enjoy!

Comment

Hahahaha!!! STOP Holly! You are typing to fast for me to check your link and approve your post. As a new user anything you post with a link for a while is going to come up moderated and not show until it is approved. I'm going to delete all the duplicate posts and approve one with a link.

Now slow down.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by katier825 View Post
                  I would go ahead and cut them that way, then when you have them all assembled, square them up all to the same size (based on the smallest one). It's a busy design, so you won't notice if it's not always exact from block to block. Just be sure to make them square because you rotate the blocks to assemble the rows. It's a fun pattern to do. Enjoy!
                  Thank you! I thought it would be an easy and fast quilt to make for my first quilt. I started a quilt over ten years ago and never finished it. I made it too complicated, and I got very busy with horses. Our girls were very young then and I also started a home based candle company. I still have horses but have more time now....no longer do the candles and the girls are teenagers.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyinWA View Post
                    Thank you for your response. I will go ahead and cut and will cut the smaller piece the original size.

Do you know if this is common with precut Layer Cakes...that they do not always have a solid 10 inch ? I did get it on sale...was the last one there. She did not mention it was on sale because of the sizing.

Thank you again!
                    Sometimes the precuts are off some. Certain manufacturers are worse about this than others. Also, measure from the points of the picked edges rather than the valleys and that might make it 10".

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

LOL Thank you. Sorry about the duplicates...I kept trying to get it to go through not knowing about the link. I did think that could be it, and I did finally see that is why it did not posted.

Comment

Sometimes the precuts are off some. Certain manufacturers are worse about this than others. Also, measure from the points of the picked edges rather than the valleys and that might make it 10".
                        Thank you!

Comment

I just couldn't keep up with you. Then I started laughing over here because I'd check one to approve it and see three more! If you quilt as fast as you type everyone in the US is going to have a quilt next week.

Before you speak,
                          T - is it TRUE?
                          H - is it HELPFUL?
                          I - is it INSPIRING?
                          N - is it NECESSARY?
                          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I just couldn't keep up with you. Then I started laughing over here because I'd check one to approve it and see three more! If you quilt as fast as you type everyone in the US is going to have a quilt next week.
                            LOL That is funny! I used to be a legal secretary and can type fast, but I have to be honest, the second one I had to retype but then I copied it just in case so the third one I just pasted it. I most likely will not be a fast quilt maker. I tend to be too much of a perfectionist which can really slow me down. I also tend to pick complicated things to make, so this time around I tried to pick something simple.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and to really get going with quilting. I will post pictures when I get it all pieced together.

Comment

Well I'll say welcome! And it was funny to see Karen race after you. lol

My uncle used to make candles. It's kind of expensive to pick that up where I live. But I would like to try some. I used to melt all the old candles in the house to make a new one. That was about as far as I got. lol
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X