Quilt Envy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quilt Envy

I agree.....These quilts are more like Eye Candy for the quilter, than Scrappy Quilts.
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....:icon_razz:

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

Comment

Some quilts that are called scrappy, are actually made using bigger cuts of fabric not scraps.
      :D:DTyne:D:D

Comment

Ya, that is too much to be called scrappy. In my mind. I know what you are saying. A true scrappy would be more adventurous and not synched but that quilt is def eye candy.
        :icon_wave:

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
          Lyric,

Even fabrics that don't thrill you can look great once they are cut up in small pieces or strips and sewn into a block. Give it a try...it's true!
          Barb is right, if you think a fabric is ugly, you haven't cut the piece small enough LOL
          May the road rise up to meet you...
          May the wind be always at your back...
          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

QUICK FACTS
            Scrappy Pineapple Quilt - a traditional quilt block
            16 Foundation Paper Pieced blocks
            Each block measures 7 inches x 7 inches finished
            Solid fabrics are Robert Kaufman Kona Cottons
            784 patchwork pieces

So it's scrappy if you have a jelly roll laying around!
            Mary
            SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

My biggest problem is that I'm never attracted to "solids".. not to purchase anyway.. I need to force myself to buy an array of solids at the next sale...I do have 2 solid bright colored jelly rolls,, does that count..LOL
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I'm too chicken to just grab fabrics out of a bag and throw them together. It's a lot of work to come to the end and decide it just doesn't work. I like controlled scrappy. For example, we did a "Wild Animal Quilt Block Swap" a while ago. I just couldn't bring myself to put them all into one quilt since I didn't think they all played nicely together. I've taken a group of them that blend together and am making a little quilt for my kitty. I'm pretty happy with the result so far. Haven't decided how I'm going to use the other blocks yet. I was thinking I might incorporate some of them into a tote bag for a friend. We'll see. I'm not sure how Bonnie Hunter does it.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Have you checked out Joyce's scrappy died pineapple quilt? There's a scrappy quilt that looks sensational.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                    Barb is right, if you think a fabric is ugly, you haven't cut the piece small enough LOL
                    Love that line; so true! I must also be somewhat OCD, as I have to control my scrappy look quilts too: TOTALLY random scares me.
                    :icon_wave: Linda
                    "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      Oh and she is a Moda designer.
                      Well by golly she outta have a disclaimer, HA HA HA HA! Can't wait to check out this link you've provided.
                      sigpic

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                        Have you checked out Joyce's scrappy died pineapple quilt? There's a scrappy quilt that looks sensational.
                        Well lady, give us a link!!??
                        sigpic

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                          I'm too chicken to just grab fabrics out of a bag and throw them together. It's a lot of work to come to the end and decide it just doesn't work. I like controlled scrappy.
                          Speaking as a "wise old" [giggles] quilting newbie mentally (and financially) I am leaning toward the "if you like it it works" school of thought. When I read a prophyte like yourselves (Robin Strobel, The Casual Quilter: 6 Stress-Free Projects) with the same viewpoint I was really ecstatic. She states, regarding choosing fabrics "If you like it, it works." In her words "At this point in my quilting career, when I make a casual quilt, I am not attempting to create a major opus in three layers. I anticipate that the quilt will accompany people I care about to the beach, a picnic, or a soccer game. The quilt will be rolled in on the grass or left out on a hammock in the rain. It will have cat hair and tears shed on it and crackers ans sticky stuff ground into the fibers. I hope my casual quilt will be used until the colors fade and the fabrics fray, and then be given to the dog to sleep on. With this outlook, why should I fret over every corner, point, and seam? I believe every quilter needs to find tolerance for imperfections and not let the opinions of others keep him or her from enjoying and sharing creations.

To that I say, "AAAAAmen!"

I want to quilt for fun. If I obsess over every little nook and cranny, it makes it a bother. I am glad I stumbled upon her book early in my quilting hobby. Of course I know if I wanted to take this to another level I would also have to up my quilting attitude. Thank goodness that ain't MY goal. This girl just wants to have fun. Oh yeah, so get ready to see quilts coming off my hands that are less than perfect but FULL OF LOVE.
                          sigpic

Comment

Joyce's posting is called "Pineapple Quilt Top". Her alias is Madampolo. If you look for it by the time it was posted to make it easier to find it was posted at 33 p.m. yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                              When I think of true, scrappy quilts, it's a mixture of colors, prints, styles, etc. Basically a quilt that uses what small pieces of fabric that you have.
                              Okaaaaay, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X